Ceramic brake pad suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've currently got about 1100 miles on a set of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics on the front of the Jeep.

Where were your Thermoquiets made?

It appears that some, or all, or the Thermoquiets are now made in China. They were previously made in the USA, from what I've read on BITOG.

The Thermoquiets I put on my xB this past summer were US-made.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
How do the Akebono pads perform with regards to brake dust?

Akebono's have amongst the lowest amount(lightest color) of brake dust I have ever seen. As good as any I have used. Centric's have more(darkest color) but, are good brakes just the same.

Akebono's may(MAY) be the smoothest braking I have ever experienced too! But, I did put'em on a LEXUS which could be why!

The pads used aren't the ProActs, but this shows how low dusting Akebonos are. This isn't my car, but I had the same Hawk pads. Normally, the front wheel would be brown after three weeks of driving. I've read from third party sources that Akebonos produce a white dust, which is less apparent.

Hawk-Versus-Akebono-Brake-D.jpg

The only brake pads I have used and had excellent results with are:

1. Autozone's Duralast Gold and their Gold Cmax
2. Hawk
3. Raybestos Advanced Technology and their Professional Grade

I have had not so good luck with:

1. Wagner
2. Any cheap ones by any name

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

1. Wagner

Funny you should mention Wagner. The Thermoquiets on the Camry are anything but quiet.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

1. Wagner

Funny you should mention Wagner. The Thermoquiets on the Camry are anything but quiet.

Well, to be honest the one's I used were not thermoquiets and it was a good 3-4 yrs ago. I was just posting based on my personal experience....however from what I've read here, those models of Wagner pads sound good.

Be aware ceramics take a bit more to warm up to spec. EBC/Hawk/powerstop

Don't know if the OP knew that or not. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the C-Max pads. I got them because I changed them on a whim after hearing about horror stories about my particular car eating brake pads, and it's hard to really see the inner pad without pulling the caliper. AZ was a bike ride away, so I picked them up there. The OEM pads were @ 70K and had 3mm left.The AZ pads were completely done in 40K. They were a lot dustier as well. They stopped fine, but I'm driving a grocery getter with oversized brakes, so it should stop well...

The "good" part, they'll replace them for free if they wear out. Seems silly to me, but I asked and the guy said "yeah, we'll replace them". The downside is that they gave me the same pads. I'll use them one last time, then switch to something else.

Oh yeah, when I went to finish up the installation on the last pad, I noticed that one of the spring clips was actually stamped backwards. Good times... I had to fish out an old one from the garbage can to finish up the job. 40K from now I'll just buy new ones...

For me, I'm going back to the Motorcraft pads, which I believe are made by PBR. I had good luck with PBR ceramics on my past Volvos--if they make one for your car, I'd give those a look.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874

I don't believe that is true. My GMC pickup and Cadillac CTS came with Ceramic brakes from the factory and no need for them to be warm to work well. I have 70k on the truck and the pads still look like they are only 1/2 used plus no noise, no rotor wear and no brake dust. Same for the CTS - 1/2 used and 53k miles on them.

Now - the hawk performance pads and similar may require a little warming up due to their nature of being performance pad. However, the Autozone Ceramic pads and other "replacement spec" ceramic pad won't need to be warm to be effective.

That's why I put EBC/Hawk/Powerstop on the end of the sentence.

Good looking out though.

Ok - I see what you mean and you are correct.

My personal experience is just the opposite! Of course, I'm using normal replacement ceramic pads(nothing HP) and their initial bite is just fine. As the matter of fact(ATMOF), ceramic pads have taken out all of the negative issues that I ever had with brake pads concerning noises, lack of initial bite, highway driving through mountainous areas such as PA and had to stop quickly etc. ((HOT)) or ))COLD((, winter/summer, city or highway driving, I just love'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back