This fixed oil consumption in toyota 1ZZ-FE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it was a series of fixes. I had 2-3qts/5000 miles oil consumption in 2003 (made in 2002) Corolla since 6X,XXX miles (forgot the exact number) after a steady diet of dino oil changes every 4000-5000 miles/6 months.

I did a couple of MMO piston soaks that would help for 2000 miles or so and consumption would come back. Than, last summer i did an extra long multi-week MMO soak that partially helped and cut consumption in half. I also started filling oil above the dipstick mark as per the Toyota's TSB for this engine.

Before next oil change this last fall, I did Kreen piston soak and flush and started using Maxlife oil. Small consumption lasted for the first 1000 miles and disappeared since. Time will tell but so far so good (no visible consumption whatsoever) several K miles into the OCI.

Next oil changes will be synthetic to prevent the oil consumption from reappearing.

Not sure what exactly was the fix, maybe a combination, but it worked. MMO piston soaks themself seemed least effective.

We have the same model year with 89,000 miles, no oil burning. I've heard of it though, even on post 2002 1ZZFE's(as seen here). I hope this doesn't happen to ours. I mainly use Synthetic and I'll keep it that way.

Nice job on getting it done.

I have a '99 Corolla that burns about a quart every 1500 miles. Mobil 1 has seemed to help my consumption. I am interested in reading that TSB on the 1 zzfe that you mentioned. I tried a search but haven't located it; can you direct me in locating it?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I have a '99 Corolla that burns about a quart every 1500 miles. Mobil 1 has seemed to help my consumption. I am interested in reading that TSB on the 1 zzfe that you mentioned. I tried a search but haven't located it; can you direct me in locating it?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2248581

Very much appreciated! Thank you!

Just a thought, but why not stick with Max Life for one more OCI before going to a full synthetic?

Thanks for sharing your experience either way.

I don't see how overfilling will help any consumption or leak problems.
BTW, if you think MMO was the least effective at stopping burning, wait until you use the full synthetic. A real waste in that dept!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Just a thought, but why not stick with Max Life for one more OCI before going to a full synthetic?

LOL, I'm doing both! Maxlife 10W30 synthetic will be the first synthetic oil. This is the FAR oil from back then. This will be a consolidation phase not unlike chemotherapy. After that is gone, I've got a stash of various synthetic oils bough on clearance or deep rebates. That would be considered a maintenance phase.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
BTW, if you think MMO was the least effective at stopping burning, wait until you use the full synthetic. A real waste in that dept!

Overfilling lowers oil temp, lowering high temp deposits on pistons/rings.

Synthetic may not fix oil consumption but will certainly avoid it from recurring due to piston/ring deposits due to oil oxidation.

Both applicable only in susceptible engines with high piston temps.

It was likely the Maxlife oil that helped to eliminate the oil consumption not the MMO or Kreen.

Overfilling lowers oil temp, lowering high temp deposits on pistons/rings.

Synthetic may not fix oil consumption but will certainly avoid it from recurring due to piston/ring deposits due to oil oxidation.

Both applicable only in susceptible engines with high piston temps.

Overfilling may INCREASE oil temps. The crank , rods, and pistons are shearing more oil. The film on the pistons/ bores/ and rings is the same with high or low oil levels. The temps there won't change. If any extra oil did get in there, it would result in more oil use, and probable carbon build up.
A synthetic oil won't fix worn bores or rings.

Last edited:

Overfilling may INCREASE oil temps. The crank , rods, and pistons are shearing more oil. The film on the pistons/ bores/ and rings is the same with high or low oil levels. The temps there won't change. If any extra oil did get in there, it would result in more oil use, and probable carbon build up.

Don't agree.
Raising the oil sump level will reduce oil temp's, by both increasing the time it takes for oil temp's to rise and the maximum oil temp's acheived.
The disadvantage is a possible increase in oil aeration but that would be very much engine specific.

Overfilling gives the people who don't check their oil regularly a longer time until the engine runs out of oil and seizes up. Sheesh you guys, it's not that hard to figure out.
wink.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Don't agree.
Raising the oil sump level will reduce oil temp's, by both increasing the time it takes for oil temp's to rise and the maximum oil temp's acheived.
The disadvantage is a possible increase in oil aeration but that would be very much engine specific.

Common sense telling me that raising the oil sump level increases the time it takes for oil temp to rise to operating temperature, but I don't know it it will reduce oil temp or raising it.

When my wife worked closer to home, 1 way distance was 6 miles, I filled up the sump of the E430 to 7.5 quarts only and it was at middle of the fill and full levels on the dipstick. With 1 quart less than full, the coolant temp seems to go up to operating temp somewhat faster than full sump of 8.5 quarts, when I drove it on weekend.

Regarding the OP, the primary reason for oil consumption in the 8th gen 1ZZ-FE is clogged piston ring oil return holes. Clogged with a hardened carbonized sludge caused by heat. Its good that Kreen had success cleaning the holes, you were smart to try it first. Adds and cleanups are approx 50% effective, the other half require piston removal and the holes cleared (drilled out) manually. Changing the coolant early and often is as important as using synthetic oil in these engines. Suggest you consider a thinner synthetic to keep the holes open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back