PRO-Line "synthetic" VS PEAK "synthetic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I went tom my local PEP BOYS yeaterday to get a bottle of Techron when I noticed how high priced the branded synthetic oils are and on one shelf I noticed that PEAK "synthetic" apparantely replaced the Kendell. Anyway going down the line I also noticed that PEP BOYS now sells there own brand of synthetic (PRO-line synthetic, 5W-30). Both were competitivly priced at around the mod $6price. My new choosen synthetic is Mobil Super Synthetic. My question is the PEAK OR Pro-line syt=nthetic just as good. Both bottles on the bottom say WPP.
What do you think????

Durango

Both are probably fine for short OCIs, or heck - who knows - maybe even long ones. If it says WPP it might be akin to Wal-Mart's SuperTech oils.

I bought two whole cases of Napa Synthetic 5w-30 when it was on sale for $3.80/qt. I put it in friends cars and tell them to go 5000 miles on it. They can't beat free, ya know?

I would think that Peak, Proline and Walmart synthetics are all the same as I can't see Warren making various syns. I think they are decent but I would use Napa (which is currently 3.49 a quart) first.
I think I would use Napa before Mobil SS too.

3.99/qt on clearance at AAP for the syn. I'm going to do one OCI with it as I was a little short on cash this go round.

Hi guys/gals,

I was wondering after getting the intiial shock of how much the high ended synthetics oil are today!!!! here I vowed never to try or use Royal Purple (example only) and now I see all the others are basically the same price!!!

Since California is trying to get people to go longer OCI's I was looking into getting an synthetic that could go a higher mileage but now as I see on the dealer shelve how high it is I now wonder how the governor can ask us to do such a thing.

In reality if I had to go in this direction I wouldn't mind doing an OCI every 6 months but then I would go by months instead of miles driven which is what I prefer when deciding on an oil change.

The other possibility would be to go in the same direction as BMW (once per year OCI's) but now I wonder about the oil filter can go that far and then deciding on a premium synthetic that will go the distance. THEN once per year I can have the engine flushed out to get the gunk out. I'm much sure BMW is doing this for there customers.

I kinda wonder although most likely it won't happen....it'll become a standard of changing ones oil once per year and rely on oil filters that can go 15K miles and engine flushings.

Durango

Last edited:
Using standard ILSAC oil in a modern engine most OLM will have you doing a 1x or 2x per year oil change. NO FLUSHING NEEDED. Jeepers!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Since when is NAPA "SYN" good - it used to be the worst. Under additised Valvoline. DID they change OEM?

Worst according to flawed interpretation of VOA?

Shop the sales and MIRs and get known good oil cheaply.
OTOH, WPP oils seem to be pretty decent.
Not sure why you'd need to use either Mobil Super Syn or a store brand syn when name brand syns are available pretty cheaply after MIR or on oil change specials.
Mobil Super Syn is nothing like M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back