Mobil 1 5W-20 now at COSTCO !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volk06 I have been on this forum long enough to know that Mobil1 oils are overhyped for the value and its all in the marketing as far as popularity goes. I live near a Mobil refinery and know engineers that dont use their own oil and use Techron in their gas. To each his own though i guess.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Volk06 I have been on this forum long enough to know that Mobil1 oils are overhyped for the value and its all in the marketing as far as popularity goes. I live near a Mobil refinery and know engineers that dont use their own oil and use Techron in their gas. To each his own though i guess.

I know guys that work at GM and drive other brands.

And I know guys that work at GM and feel they are world-class.

Sometimes a job is just that. And a person's brand of choice may simply not be the one they work for.

Mobil has been in the synthetic market the longest. This explains why they have the largest market share. The other major players were all decades "late to the party".

They also have numerous OEM contracts and the brand itself has significant recognition due to these contracts.

They are the largest global player in the synthetic market with the largest OEM user base. This in turn makes them the largest in the retail market and gives them the most brand identity.

ALL oil manufacturers "hype" their product. Mobil's products are no more "over hyped" than those from Ashland, SOPUS or BP. Amsoil, RP or Redline.

That being said, what some random guy on a message board says about a product means far less than what an OEM chooses to use. What a race team chooses to use and what oils meet certain lists of hard to obtain OEM certifications for high performance applications.

Some of us choose to use Mobil 1 because it has served us well for a long time, AND also happens to meet the performance requirements of our vehicles. It is also easily obtainable in the necessary grades, something that cannot be said for other oils meeting those spec's or having those certifications.

Your opinion on this subject holds no more weight than Volk06's. It holds no more weight than mine, no more weight than Tig or any other Mobil user on this board. Because it is just opinion, and so while your vehemence in opposing Volk06's stance is noted, it is just another personal crusade among a sea of crusades and testimonials that make up the personal bias profile of this site.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I still plan on buying Mobil 1 0W20 at Wally world for $23 for a 5 quart jug. Why should I go to Costco? No reason.

You won't have that price for long, better stock up. It's $4 per jug higher in most markets.

To clarify the Costco deal, they have occasional $10 coupons on 6 qt cases of M1 that nets out to $4.50+tx. That's a pretty good price in this day and age. The grade options are usually limited, for example, mine still only stocks 5W and 10W-30.

Right now, they have $9 off per 12 qt case on their conventionals, either Chevron Supreme or Formula Shell. This nets to $2.08+tx. This is a great price on a great oil. [censored], I bought a case even though I really don't use conventionals any more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They got Chevron 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40 at Costco too.
35.gif

No 5w20 Chevron at our Costco.....in Bend, Oregon.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I still plan on buying Mobil 1 0W20 at Wally world for $23 for a 5 quart jug. Why should I go to Costco? No reason.

I was under the impression that Wal-mart doesn't sell Mobil 0W-20 in 5 quart jugs.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I know guys that work at GM and drive other brands.

And I know guys that work at GM and feel they are world-class.

Sometimes a job is just that. And a person's brand of choice may simply not be the one they work for.

Mobil has been in the synthetic market the longest. This explains why they have the largest market share. The other major players were all decades "late to the party".

They also have numerous OEM contracts and the brand itself has significant recognition due to these contracts.

They are the largest global player in the synthetic market with the largest OEM user base. This in turn makes them the largest in the retail market and gives them the most brand identity.

ALL oil manufacturers "hype" their product. Mobil's products are no more "over hyped" than those from Ashland, SOPUS or BP. Amsoil, RP or Redline.

That being said, what some random guy on a message board says about a product means far less than what an OEM chooses to use. What a race team chooses to use and what oils meet certain lists of hard to obtain OEM certifications for high performance applications.

Some of us choose to use Mobil 1 because it has served us well for a long time, AND also happens to meet the performance requirements of our vehicles. It is also easily obtainable in the necessary grades, something that cannot be said for other oils meeting those spec's or having those certifications.

Your opinion on this subject holds no more weight than Volk06's. It holds no more weight than mine, no more weight than Tig or any other Mobil user on this board. Because it is just opinion, and so while your vehemence in opposing Volk06's stance is noted, it is just another personal crusade among a sea of crusades and testimonials that make up the personal bias profile of this site.

That was beautifully said sir... That is all.

Some Wal-mart's in So Cal has Mobil 0W-20 in 5 quart jugs, I exchanged 3 5W20 jugs for 0W20 few months ago. Some M1 grades are not available in 5qt jug, 0W40 is one of them.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some Wal-mart's in So Cal has Mobil 0W-20 in 5 quart jugs, I exchanged 3 5W20 jugs for 0W20 few months ago. Some M1 grades are not available in 5qt jug, 0W40 is one of them.

Thanks. I've never seen it here.

I say, when a good deal comes along and it's posted right here in front of our noses, you'd be silly not to think twice about it, evaluate other options and oil brand choices at the preset time and quickly make a purchase while you can.

IMO, oil prices will just keep rising. Mobil 1 in 5qt jugs is nearing $32 dollars in all my Walmarts in Jacksonville, Florida, so the rising cost is headed your way and with the current world situation, oil will only keep rising. I say, better stock up on ANY awesome deal because in a few years when M1 will not be found for less then $10 a quart, you'll be happy you stocked up @ $5/qt when you did and car maintenance will be that much cheaper. Plus you could sell some off if needed and make a buck / get your money back during a hard time.

That's how i look at it and have a growing stash almost weekly. You just never know what tomorrow will bring...

OverK1ll
My opinion is just that an should be take as so. However if you want to get defensive on the subject and feel "my opinion holds no weight" then you must be viewing different UOAs than I.
cheers

OverK1ll
My opinion is just that an should be take as so. However if you want to get defensive on the subject and feel "my opinion holds no weight" then you must be viewing different UOAs than I.
cheers

Opinions in this anonymous Internet forum is all you have. We are all nobody's with a slightly different take on things.
Take it with a grain of salt blazer.

OverK1ll
cheers

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.

1. I wasn't getting defensive, simply noting that your opinion held no more weight than that of the person you were taking issue with.

2. How exactly, beyond contamination levels and oil life expectancy/durability, is a UOA telling us anything? Unless of course you subscribe to the theory that you can determine how an engine is "wearing" based on inexpensive UOA's without particle count data.......

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
OverK1ll
cheers

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.

1. I wasn't getting defensive, simply noting that your opinion held no more weight than that of the person you were taking issue with.

2. How exactly, beyond contamination levels and oil life expectancy/durability, is a UOA telling us anything? Unless of course you subscribe to the theory that you can determine how an engine is "wearing" based on inexpensive UOA's without particle count data.......

OVERK1LL, You are a much needed voice of reason.
Thank you
cool.gif

3 years ago I bought 2 cars seat for my 1 year old at Costco. We got rid of the box and the reciept. 2 years later there was a small tear in the fabric, so we want to exchange it, they gave us cash for what we paid, no question asked. If you look at the warrenty and return policy, Costco wins. The price and selection might be better on SOME things at Walmart, but you get better product, warrenty and return policy at Costco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back