Shell vs Mobil/Exxon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: cchase
I've seen lots of fuel trucks filling up stations around here, but I've never seen this "same trucks going to many stations" that get described ad nauseum on the internet.

The Gulf stations have a big Gulf truck, the Mobil stations have a big Mobil truck. I've never seen a Mobil truck sitting at a Gulf station.

A station (Shell or Mobil) that advertises having that gas and (as some claim) just has generic gas would be illegal. I doubt it happens.
I understand that you have never seen that before, but just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not true. I've personally (no reason to lie, not like I'm getting paid lol)seen one truck to go a Cheveron gas station and then to a Big Cat station here in Alabama.

As I have said COUNTLESS times, seeing the same truck drop fuel at different stations does not mean ANYTHING.

Fuel trucks have 3-4 separate fuel cells in the one tank. Some have even more.

ALL fuel gets processed at a refinery. The fuel gets it's brand "additive" when it is put in the tanker. So, if a truck is going up route "x" and there is a shell station and a no name station in the same area, it only makes sense to send both loads of fuel on the same truck.

IT is against federal law and the contract with the gas station owner and fuel company to sell anything but what the gas station is supposed to sell.

Can a Shell station owner buy no name gas? Sure.

Will he get away with it? No. Shell knows exactly how many gallons leave those pumps and Shell knows exactly how much Shell additive fuel the gas station bought.

If those numbers do not add up, rest assured there will be swift action.

As I have said in other posts, I personally know of some one who lost a Sunoco station for doing this. He know owns a Citgo.

The gas itself is basically the same but the ADDITIVE package is NOT the amount, type, and quality varies widely.

PEA is the best gasoline detergent you can get. Cleans the best and DOES not leave any of its own residue behind during the cleaning process like most other gas detergents do a pretty important fact.

The chemical name is PEA developed by Chevron, the trade name is
Techron. But they sell PEA to others.

I have seen noname truck drop the fuel off on Mobil station. I have seen it at least couple of times and both times it was after 10:00 pm. I am in New England. I have seen Mobil truck there during the day though.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have seen noname truck drop the fuel off on Mobil station. I have seen it at least couple of times and both times it was after 10:00 pm. I am in New England. I have seen Mobil truck there during the day though.

That doesn't mean it's not Mobil gas.

Originally Posted By: daman
How can one find Top Tier stations in there area?

By going to stations on this list:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

In Buffalo, Mobil was the only Top Tier gas, but a Phillips66 station has opened. Interesting, P66 claims that five tank (successive) tank fulls will clean up existing deposits...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: daman
How can one find Top Tier stations in there area?

By going to stations on this list:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

In Buffalo, Mobil was the only Top Tier gas, but a Phillips66 station has opened. Interesting, P66 claims that five tank (successive) tank fulls will clean up existing deposits...

thanks...

My main data point is that I used to shop for the cheapest gas wherever I was, then I got a Mobil/Exxon card that gives me 15 cents off per gallon so I mainly started buying my gas there, and subsequently I haven't had to clean the throttle body as often. Mobil does seem to keep things cleaner. I suspect Shell is just as good, but few stations around here. I also sometimes use Sunoco, which is also top tier I believe.

Has anyone ever seen any type of test that compares gasoline brands?

Last edited:
Don't forget that there are various different types of detergent too. PEA is the best (most effective at cleaning carbon and never leaves its own residue behind. Others clean carbon fairly well too but may leave their own residue behind.

So it is not only the amount of detergent that is important but also the QUALITY of that detergent.

I get on average 70 miles more per tank in my 4cyl mustang on shell vs local brand stations and about half that over exxon, the car get approx 25mpg so that is around 3 gallons at $3+. The only fuel I have seen get better mileage is the "marine grade" 89 octane that is ethanol free.

The odometer on the twin turbo mustang is messed up but I get an extra trip to and from work off shell against other gas.

Sunoco is not listed as Top Tier in the USA, just Sunoco Canada. The following is the list of Top Tier stations.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada
Chevron Canada
Esso
PetroCanada
Shell Canada
Sunoco Canada

Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi all,

I'm deciding on a new fuel for my 2011 corolla I will be getting in about a week.

These are the only top-tier stations in my area, with a few more Mobil than Shell stations. However, I hear Shell is better, because it has PEAs, is it true? I don't think Mobil has PEAs and I heard PBAs can actually cause their own deposits...

So I was thinking
-Shell whenever I can as soon as I see 1/2 tank
-Mobil/Exxon if I need it

-Anything else on my long trips that has a brand name, then Shell afterwards (top off before trip).

Thoughts?

smc733,

Both gasolines you mentioned are considered to be Top Tier but you should know that Shell gas isn't really mad by Shell. That part of the business is owned and made by Tesorio as I heard it. Mobil is still mad by Mobil.

Shell gas has their additive called "Nirogen" enriched and Mobil gas as I hear it has the most PEA additive in their product.

Mail Clerk

Rarely do I see a posty as off-base as this one Durango.
After XOM acquired Mobil-the Mobil part of the gasoline business disappeared. XOM now sells the name Mobil to anyone who wants to buy it and stick it on their gas station. There is no such thing as a contract to buy Mobil gas----because it does not exist. Mobil station owners are free to purchase any gasoline they desire and sell it. I do not know where you got the information you posted, but it is completely false

So, Steve20, are you saying that what Top Tier says on its website is incorrect? They claim that every gasoline outlet showing the sign of one of the Top Tier gasolines must meet the standards:

Quote:
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi all,

I'm deciding on a new fuel for my 2011 corolla I will be getting in about a week.

These are the only top-tier stations in my area, with a few more Mobil than Shell stations. However, I hear Shell is better, because it has PEAs, is it true? I don't think Mobil has PEAs and I heard PBAs can actually cause their own deposits...

So I was thinking
-Shell whenever I can as soon as I see 1/2 tank
-Mobil/Exxon if I need it

-Anything else on my long trips that has a brand name, then Shell afterwards (top off before trip).

Thoughts?

smc733,

Both gasolines you mentioned are considered to be Top Tier but you should know that Shell gas isn't really mad by Shell. That part of the business is owned and made by Tesorio as I heard it. Mobil is still mad by Mobil.

Shell gas has their additive called "Nirogen" enriched and Mobil gas as I hear it has the most PEA additive in their product.

Mail Clerk

Rarely do I see a posty as off-base as this one Durango.
After XOM acquired Mobil-the Mobil part of the gasoline business disappeared. XOM now sells the name Mobil to anyone who wants to buy it and stick it on their gas station. There is no such thing as a contract to buy Mobil gas----because it does not exist. Mobil station owners are free to purchase any gasoline they desire and sell it. I do not know where you got the information you posted, but it is completely false

This is the second baseless comment you've made regarding Exxon-Mobil. Personally, I don't really care all that much. I'm not a fan either, but that doesn't give you the right to make spit up on the internet about their products by masking opinion as some sort of insider fact...

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

Bingo! I can't tell you how many times I have seen the same fuel truck at several name brand gas stations in my town...

This is utter nonsense. I live near one of the locations that supplies your area and they add different additives, depending on brand, to base gasoline supplied by Sunoco's Philly refinery. Other locations are from NJ refineries or Hess/PDVSA or Canada and blend in the additive.

The only thing the same is the trucking company's name on the trucks.

I have seen standard EPA fuel used in fleets and the vehicles carboned up after 100k. Harder to clean it out then vs. later. So it matters.

The Mobil gasoline brand requires their standards, so it isn't some logo on generic product. Their gasoline exceeds EPA standards and have done so for many years. Surprise, it is the additives, the rest is government regulated by region.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Does not show on the list but is BP/Amoco considered a good gas/Top tier? I wonder how up to date that list is...

BP isn't technically top tier, but it had a great showing in a recent test:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/wayne_county/detergent-in-gas-helps-the-engine-run-cleaner-and-smoother-so-just-how-much-is-in-there%3F

one of the requirements for top tier is that ALL stations meet the requirements. so i'm not sure if individual BP stations have different amounts of additives or what. maybe the particular stations they tested had high detergents, but other BP stations do not? it would be cool if someone could get in contact with BP and get an answer to this.

interesting point about Mobil
smile.gif
. Locally I see lots of gloved oil fuel trucks and tankers... I think the only branded tanker I ever seen locally is racetrac nwith theory hot.dog SigmaTel on the side LOL. Never seen a 711 truck either... May have seen a sunoco truck though! Can't clearly recall...the Mobil finding is interesting... If they sell the name to anyone how can they be sure all Mobil stations are.giving top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back