super tech ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you rate Supertech dexron III?

It was on the cheap at Walmart, I am short on funds and need to do a pan drop on my 4T60-E. Don't know if it matters but I doubt if the fluid in there has been changed more than once. However, it's been leaking steadily from the pan gasket so what is in there is pretty fresh
laugh.gif
the fluid on the dipstick looks good but the leaking gasket is the root problem so I'm going to change the filter while I'm in there.

I've used Supertech motor oil many times before and it seemed fine to me.

Secondly, are any trans fluid additives recommended? For higher mileage units in particular, this one has 160k miles on it

Last edited:
Better than not doing it... maybe.

Then again, used OE or higher end fluid might be better than price-point, bottom of the barrel fluid.

I personally use store brands often, but not wal-mart store brands, because their pricepoint pressures make the products not trustworthy to me a lot of times.

I may be wrong, but generally I can find something equivalent or better for the same or less money.

So if the fluid has been in there for a while, Id definitely prefer ST rather than no change.

But if I can keep my eye out for a deal and get a better fluid, Id prefer that too.

I've used it in the past not my first choice by any means but it worked i guess.I'm sure it's low in the additive department.

If the fluid is fresh, I would drain it into a clean catch pan and reuse the fluid. I did that on a pan drop inspection on one of my cars.

Lubegard Red seems to be an excellent ATF additive. Pick up that and a bottle of ATF to top the ATF level.

Nothing wrong with ST fluids. I'm running ST in my diffs and transfer case right now. I realize it's not Dex, but across the board their fluids meet specs and are serviceable. Are there better? Sure. But ST is fine as long as your reasonable with it.

Since ATF doesn't needed to be changed every 6 months or a year, the change interval is more or less 4-5 years or 50-60k miles or more, try to save $10-15 over 4-5 years(about $2-3 a year or less than 1 penny a day) with inferior ATF fluid is not very wise.

Based on my reading of the ST Mercon V bottle, it is not synthetic, not even semi synthetic.

Best to go with something semi synthetic / synthetic for maximum protection and longevity.

It's not a lot extra to spend for the usage you'll get out of it.

Or, why not reuse the existing fluid if it is mostly new?

On one hand, "Dex3" isn't a licensed spec anymore, so blenders have no target to shoot for. You have to take their word for it.

OTOH, walmart is not alone in their pursuit of thriftiness. Any other store brand fluid could be as bad or worse.

You could try name brand like castrol "Dex-Mer", but by the time you find a dusty bottle at a full price parts store and pay for it, you could get some generic Dexron VI, which is licensed, is tightly controlled, and is (semi) synthetic.

Of course anything fresh and new sounds better than what you have in there.

i have used the super tech merc/dexIII since 2000 in a aw4 and a 4l30e. i have not had any problems. it has been the opposite! the vehicles i use it in shift smooth. mike

I used Supertech exclusively in one transmission and intermittently in others. I wouldn't call it a bottom of the barrel fluid or an inferior fluid.

I have also used their DEX VI and that stuff is awesome. I would use the dex 6 if you can afford it if not have no worries over the dex 3. It has proven to me it can go the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back