Best Fuel Additive for 4.0 Northstar Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to ask the experts here, anyone having experience with the older 4.0 Northstar, or larger Cadillac Northstar engines. What brand of fuel additive have you had good success with? I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0, that I have owned for 2 years. A little bit of history on the car: I am the 3rd owner, an older lady who is a friend of the family owned the car for a decade, and as I recently found out from cleaning the TB and MAF sensor, there was significant carbon deposits, which led me to perform 2 Seafoam treatments (liquid through brake booster, and then Seafoam Spray through the intake) I usually use some type of fuel system treatment at every oil change.I have tried Lucas UCL, Techron, Regane, and Lucas Deep Clean. I haven't noticed much difference from any of them, except for the Seafoam treatment coupled with TB and MAF sensor cleaning, which seemed to help. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My son had a 99 Olds Aurora... Nice cars and engine if maintained.

800 miles before your next oil change, I would run either Redline SL-1 or BG 44K through the car for two consecutive tanks of premium gas. From what I remember, you need 93 octane for your engine. Both of these work good on cleaning up a fuel system, including carbon.

The products you tried like Lucas, Regane, etc will not do a thing for your car. Techron(Chevron) is a good product(PEA) but for whatever reason, does not work as well as Redline or BG44K. I have used both of these in numerous vehicles and they work wonders if you run two consecutive tanks...

Goodluck.

I have been using RedLine SL-1 fuel treatment for a while now, and I can tell that he 3.4 L engine in our 2001 Impala with 68K miles on it idles smother, accelerates smother, and just seams to run and respond to the throttle smother and better. Also saw MPG's go from 14.5 to 16.5 on average here driving mostly 35 MPH in the stop and go traffic up and down the hills in this area.

I talked to the rep at RedLine and per his recommendation I ran one bottle of SL-1 in a full tank of gas. Ran that tank until it was down to 1/8. And now I use a 100 ml graduated plastic measuring cylinder that I perched from McMasterCarr , to measure 4.45 ml of SL-1 per gallon of fuel, and add that at the gas station just before each fill up.

Toward the end of the second bottle of SL-1 I noticed the engine running smoother. Now that I am on the 4th bottle of SL-1 the engine definitely runs smoother.

SL-1 is pays for itself and then some with the increase in MPG's.

You can get it at Pep-Boys.

The down side to using it besides having to add it at every fill, is that it is an oil that seams to get all over your hands, and then anything you touch, and if you get it on your coat, or clothes it does have a noticeable smell, not that bad of a smell, but you will have to wash any item it gets on to get rid of it.

I use old grocery store bags as disposable gloves and throw them away at the trash bin by the pump.

Also SL-1 is very hygroscopic. I think that has something to do with its ability to be usable for storing fuel. If you store the 100 ml graduated cylinder upright, the next time you use it there will be about a quarter of an inch of water in it from the water that the film of SL-1 pulled out of the air. So I store the cylinder upside down in a few old grocery bag in the trunk side compartment between the carpet, and the sheet metal of the back side of the car.

I used Sea-Foam in the past, and think SL-1 is a better fuel system treatment. If it was not such a mess to get on your hands it would be perfect.

An alternative might be to just throw a bottle of SL-1 into a tank of gas every 1 K miles or so, but I do not know if that would get you the same improvement in MPG's.

Just use it before your regular OCI's and you can keep your hands clean... LOL.

I also think you are comparing Redline SL-1 to Stabil and they are different type of products.

Last edited:
Having a hard time finding Redline SI-1. Locally Advanced Auto and Autozone stopped carrying it. Last time I ordered from Jegs a bottle was damaged. Techron is everywhere now its at walmart too. The SI-1 is approx 30 - 50% PEA. Can't find Techron Concentrate PEA % anybody know?

When I had an '01 Aurora with the 4.0L I used a full bottle of Redline Fuel System cleaner in the tank and cleaned the throttle body (wipe clean and spray rest of the can with engine running to blow off deposits) at each oil change, and always used a top tier gas. I can honestly say, when I sold that car with 68k miles it ran like new and I am pretty sure it had no carbon, lol.

About the throttle body cleaning, are you saying it's ok to blow that stuff into the engine while running? The stuff I have says not to do that.

Originally Posted By: Aurora09
About the throttle body cleaning, are you saying it's ok to blow that stuff into the engine while running? The stuff I have says not to do that.

I sprayed the actual throttle body and wipe with a rag. But, yeah I do spray the rest of the can in there with the motor running. It disolves with the cleaner and burns right thru. I do little sprays every few seconds - not full blast. It cleans the intake valves and tops of pistons. I've never had any issues and lots of people do it.

Last edited:

NO. You can buy throttle body cleaner and spray around the throttle body with the car turned OFF. Have a friend work the accelerater while you spray the throttle body. But do NOT blow Redline into your throttle body.

You can find Redline SL-1 at Amazon and also on Ebay... its like $10-$12 a bottle. I usually buy 6 at a time.

Techron is good and does have PEA but it does not work as well as Redline or BG44K for cleaning up carbon deposits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

NO. You can buy throttle body cleaner and spray around the throttle body with the car turned OFF. Have a friend work the accelerater while you spray the throttle body. But do NOT blow Redline into your throttle body.

You can find Redline SL-1 at Amazon and also on Ebay... its like $10-$12 a bottle. I usually buy 6 at a time.

Techron is good and does have PEA but it does not work as well as Redline or BG44K for cleaning up carbon deposits.

I was referring to throttle body cleaner in the aerosol can and you can run it thru the with the engine running. It is O2 sensor safe. You may have to clear a MAF code it you unplug it, but otherwise it is safe and very effective. Of course, the other option is Seafoam or intake cleaner thru a vac. line. Same principal.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I was referring to throttle body cleaner in the aerosol can and you can run it thru the with the engine running. It is O2 sensor safe. You may have to clear a MAF code it you unplug it, but otherwise it is safe and very effective. Of course, the other option is Seafoam or intake cleaner thru a vac. line. Same principal.

Using TBC while the engine is running is not a good idea but people do it anyway. It is used to clean the throttle body flap to help it seal tight when closed and it does not really clean beyond that. You can do this safely by just having someone work the floor accelerator, with the engine off, while you lightly spray the throttle body and linkage... Saftey first, remember. LOL...

trust me, in the past, I have had engines light up while spraying this stuff...

Using Seafoam and a vac line(PVC/Brake booster) is fine if done correctly...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Using TBC while the engine is running is not a good idea but people do it anyway. It is used to clean the throttle body flap to help it seal tight when closed and it does not really clean beyond that. You can do this safely by just having someone work the floor accelerator, with the engine off, while you lightly spray the throttle body and linkage... Saftey first, remember. LOL...

trust me, in the past, I have had engines light up while spraying this stuff...

Using Seafoam and a vac line(PVC/Brake booster) is fine if done correctly...

All good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back