How to fix snowblower surging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spleeft
Thanks for that great reply !
I will take a pic asap. The Brass jet that protrudes down that you describe sounds correct. Is The flat screw your talking about up inside? There is a hole on both sides , but I assume you are talking about looking up inside from the underneath? And useing the proper sized flat screwdriver to remove the jet, corrrect?
Yes I will drain this time !!

The brass fitting (jet) is up inside the aluminum protrusion. It has a slot in it for removal purposes. You will need exactly the right size screwdriver to unscrew it. Once out, you will see the tiny orifice in the center of it. That's where you need to run the wire/flush and blow out. Don't drop it in the snow.

The hole that will be left after pulling the jet should also be inspected and known to be clear. Flush it with some WD-40 or something similar then blow some compressed air through it. Look again to ensure the passage is clear. Put the cleaned jet back in, carefully install the fuel bowl and gasket, fill with fresh fuel and go get that driveway cleared. Good luck to you.

Honestly dude, don't bother trying to clean it. I did, and it was a pain. Pull it off completely, and go to a honda ope dealer, and try to find out if they can order the Honda equivalent (The entire engine is identical to a Honda, just made with poor quality materials)

Has anyone ever removed the plastic piece on top of the carburetor? It's where a screw used to be located on some Honda carbs (maybe still). Before you could pry it out, you'd have to turn the little plastic screw that maintains minimum idle completely out. I’m going to get one of the rejects out tomorrow and see what’s under there. On Hondas, you can take the screw out and there's an additional passage that gets clogged up sometimes. I hate to give up on these Chonda carbs. I remember that carbs from the Tecumseh Vector series (with the plastic half cylinder-shaped bowl held on with a bail) were uncleanable/unserviceable. After trying to clean them 10 times with no results, you just had to replace the bottom end at $23 a whack. Oh, and the Chonda carbs are great place to mine a few parts (bowl, bowl nut, etc). It’s kind of hard to mess up a carb bowl even in China.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Honestly dude, don't bother trying to clean it. I did, and it was a pain. Pull it off completely, and go to a honda ope dealer, and try to find out if they can order the Honda equivalent (The entire engine is identical to a Honda, just made with poor quality materials)

Did you put a new fuel bowl and gasket on it when you cleaned it?

Sometimes that gasket dries out and leaks air and is the problem.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

I did not replace the gasket, and it did have some white corrosion that was hard to scrape off the gasket, althought very little. I will get replacement, and carb cleaner and try t again. Sucks that I only used this Brand New machine maybe 6 hours last winter , and used gas stabilizer !
Thanks for all the replies...will keep the thread updated.

PS JIMPGHPA....I grew up in South Hills....Go Stillers !

It sounds like it is running a bit lean to me also. The bottom of the carb bowl might have a mixture adjustment screw, turn it so it goes out, or down a half turn and see if that helps. If it helps, keep turning it out until the surging is gone.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
It sounds like it is running a bit lean to me also. The bottom of the carb bowl might have a mixture adjustment screw, turn it so it goes out, or down a half turn and see if that helps. If it helps, keep turning it out until the surging is gone.

+1

This worked for me on a surging Tecumseh snowblower engine.

Originally Posted By: mva
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite

+1

This worked for me on a surging Tecumseh snowblower engine.

Worked on my Tecumseh Snow Kings too. Problem is that this isn't the same type of carb.

I'd say that if the carb is clean, the main jet might need to be either changed to a larger size or, if you have the patience, you could use welding/cutting torch tip cleaners to bore out the one you have.

Originally Posted By: spleeft
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

I did not replace the gasket, and it did have some white corrosion that was hard to scrape off the gasket, althought very little. I will get replacement, and carb cleaner and try t again. Sucks that I only used this Brand New machine maybe 6 hours last winter , and used gas stabilizer !
Thanks for all the replies...will keep the thread updated.

PS JIMPGHPA....I grew up in South Hills....Go Stillers !

Should have said "Did you put a new fuel bowl gasket on it when you cleaned it?" That “and” did not belong in there. Sorry about that, sometimes it is hard to proof your own work.

What kind of load did you put on it.. or did you mean surging at full throttle (vs load)

is it actually surging when you are throwing 12" deep snow? or just when throttled up ?

No relation to your problem but my 2stroke toros surge terribly until you throw snow with them and boom perfectly smooth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
What kind of load did you put on it.. or did you mean surging at full throttle (vs load)

is it actually surging when you are throwing 12" deep snow? or just when throttled up ?

No relation to your problem but my 2stroke toros surge terribly until you throw snow with them and boom perfectly smooth.

Which Toro 2 stroke? I've got a 221QRE and it runs pretty steady right from the get go. No surging. You might want to look at the jet(s). Not sure if the carb has a pilot jet or not because the engines usually start and run at around 4000 rpm. So, the fuel demand would already exceed a pilot jets ability to supply the engine. I'd say it's likely a partially restricted main jet.

Had the surging happen with my R-tek engine when I fired it up for the first time this season. I pulled the main jet and it looked alright to the naked eye but I ran a wire through it, flushed it, blew it out with some compressed air then blew out the jet seat/passage. Put it all back together and it runs normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back