honda gx200 6.5hp stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 6.5hp honda gx200 on a power washer that stalls after 40 sec. of running .I have replaced the carb what a brand new one and i put a brand new coil on it to the motor is still stalling and doing the same thing any help would be great thanks guys

my first guess would be some kind of shutoff

Like low oil sensor or low water pressure.

(you do have it hooked up to water when starting right?)

Not familiar with that model in particular.

Last edited:
The oil shut off is diesconned and the water pump is not part of the motor the motor is stalling after 40 sec. but thanks for the help ..

Sounds like clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel vent?

Pull the whole fuel line while you're at it.

I doubt it would be an ignition component overheating, but it's possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Loosen your fuel cap see what that does. Your fuel cap vent might be blocked.

This is your best answer. Those Honda motors ignitions don't overheat. I make my living with the 5.5 hp version of that motor. 11 crews with 11 air compressors. It's a blocked vent.

That would make sense. I was trying to think what would happen in 40secs that would cause a stall.

imo if its running more than 15-20s its not a regular air/fuel/spark issue.

and since its shutting off before a min.. I doubt any kind of heat..

Just be careful if you take the gas cap off while running... I did that once on my snowblower and the vibrations were shooting gas all over.... oops.

Last edited:
You don't need to take the cap off. Just loosen it enough to allow a bit of air flow into the tank.

Thank i have did all of what you guys said and same thing runs for 40 sec. and shuts off i thought hondas run for ever lol .The fuel flows when you take it off the carb so i think it is the crank seals but i an not sure keep bringing on the theory guys and thanks dudes.

Crank seals? On a four stroke engine? New one on me.

You say the fuel system is good. Have you opened up the float bowl on the new carb to ensure there's no debris in it? If not, do so. Have you also ensured that the fuel tank is clean? It's just a bit strange to be on your second carb on a genuine Honda engine.

When the engine stops after 40 seconds of run time, pull the spark plug cap and put in another spark plug in the cap and see if you have spark. Don't waste time pulling the plug out of the engine. Do it real quick so that you can prove that the electrics are still working. If you still have a healthy spark, that should confirm electrics are good. What about the spark plug? Have you tried a new one?

Have you checked the valve lash at all? If the valves are tight, once they warm up they may not be fully closing thus allowing the fuel/air mixture to escape.

Another thing to look for is possible loose wires somewhere in the ignition system or even a broken wire that is concealed in the insulation that separates with either vibration or heat.

I have checked the valve lash disconnected the oil sensor and i did the spark check even what a inline spark checker the it sparks even when the motor stalls and i put a new spark plug cap in it i have been working on this motor for a month and i at stumped . i have a honda wb water pump what the same motor will same coil and carb but i did buy a new carb so i think the motor need to come apart the only thing i might see is the fly wheel key sheered is there a stator under the fly wheel?

One other thing, if you take a propane torch and turn it on but do NOT light it, and then hold it near the air intake when the engine is running you will be substituting some fuel (propane) for some of the air, and thus making the engine run richer. And you will not have messed with any of the carb adjustments, so when you remove the extra source of fuel, you are back to the original settings.

Anywho, the point of this with respect to the problem you are having is:

1) if the extra fuel makes it run longer or even not stall at all, then you have a big clue that somehow it is getting a lean mixture
2) and if it does not make a difference then you have a big clue that the mixture is not part of the problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davedude
I have checked the valve lash disconnected the oil sensor and i did the spark check even what a inline spark checker the it sparks even when the motor stalls and i put a new spark plug cap in it i have been working on this motor for a month and i at stumped . i have a honda wb water pump what the same motor will same coil and carb but i did buy a new carb so i think the motor need to come apart the only thing i might see is the fly wheel key sheered is there a stator under the fly wheel?

I though about the fly wheel key, but it does not sound like that is the problem. If it were a fly wheel key problem, you would probably have it try to rip your arm off when it back-fired while you pulled the rope.

Last edited:
Vary low hours and there is no water hooked up . the motor pops and stalls after 40sec of run time . i for got to tell you that i have had it at the dealer and thay do not no what rong what it so keep posting the seagestion .

when you says pops and stalls, that makes me think more fuel related rather than ignition.
not intimately familiar with the gx200, but with the other responses not working out the one thing i would say about ignition is look into exactly what there is. You said you replaced the coil, I don't know if that's all there is to it- the coil against the flywheel- but if there is some other electronics in there that may be doing it.
But when it pops and stalls if it's fuel related, try engaging the choke and see if that helps at all or does it die right out. If the choke helps then better indication it's fuel related.
Electrically- look for any ignition wires chaffed that are shorting to ground, like the coil ground wire that you would ground to shut the engine off. hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back