baldwin/donaldson filters bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running baldwin filters on my dads '06 cummins and one of my buddies duramaxes with no problems. i read on another forum one guy said he's tens more engine failures with baldwin than any other filter. so are they really a bad filter?

Baldwin/Donaldson has an excellent rep-Baldwin's fuel filter is the one I've used exclusively on both of my Cummins powered Rams with ZERO issues-be interested to hear what failures the guy's had?

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I've been running baldwin filters on my dads '06 cummins and one of my buddies duramaxes with no problems. i read on another forum one guy said he's tens more engine failures with baldwin than any other filter. so are they really a bad filter?

Huh? Sounds like all talk. They are great filters.

Unless it's the Alec Baldwin filter. Then stay away. He makes them with wicker and straw filtration media, inside a coke can. Stick to acting Alec...seriously.

The guy on that other forum is an idiot and you can tell him i said so,Baldwin brand filters are of top notch construction and design on par filtration with any other standard cellulose made filter absolutely nothing wrong with them,I've had many discussions with officials from Baldwin asking for literature and specs,etc,great people.

Donaldson filters top notch also very good!

That other guy must not have looked too far into the Baldwin/Donaldson filter, they are high quality construction and perform excellent, one of the best filters that isn't a boutique brand

Ive spoken to long haul truckers that go 1,000,000 miles and up on an engine before a rebuild on all flavors of diesel trucks.
Baldwin was a name that came up regularly.

Originally Posted By: Gary2112
Unless it's the Alec Baldwin filter. Then stay away. He makes them with wicker and straw filtration media, inside a coke can. Stick to acting Alec...seriously.

You know, the chinese and indian bypass filters we see for MB diesels actually have wicker and straw in them!!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Gary2112

You know, the chinese and indian bypass filters we see for MB diesels actually have wicker and straw in them!!!

You really are joking, aren't you?
I may someday have another 123 diesel, although I always used Mann filters in the two that we have had.

id be using an ornage baldwin on a 2010 6.7 cummins, 2011 Chevy duramax, and a nissantitan, jus twant to make sure, would hate to have any trouble dowon the road. are the donaldson filters better or just the same?

B7020 for 2008 Tacoma 2.7L. Check the Baldwin website for your application. The 7020 is a bit larger than the standard filter. Other than their excellent reputation, to me another plus with the Baldwin is the color...for applictions where the filter is hard to see...like on the 2.7L Toyota. (I realize that's no problem for the 4.0 engine). The Hastings filter color (white) is even better and it's otherwise identical to the Baldwin. I believe the ove3rall quality of either to be equivalent to Wix or Donaldson...all are excellent!

Baldwin is my favorite because they are great quality and a nice racy red color. As I understand it, Baldwin is as good as a Wix, and those are some of the best filters available, short of the very high end such as K&N.

I have just used a bunch but I may go back to ordering Wix from RockAuto, haven't decided for sure yet. I have had a bit of trouble getting the Baldwins off. The first was only on my Son's SL2 for about 3 weeks and was a complete bear to loosen, replaced with the longer version Baldwin at that change. The second was on the G6 for a normal OCI and was tighter than anything else I remember using. I have one on my Mom's Montana right now and it will be a long run on the OLM as they don't drive very much so I am interested to see how it is. The ACDelco I took off was also a complete bear!
The other thing is with the new beta ratios published by Wix a little while ago they don't seem as close to me any more. I do believe they are a quality filter though and will probably use them again. I have ordered a couple Wix for the next changes on the SL2 & G6 as I had to get some other parts for the G6, so I'll see how they go.

I was just reading the post about the M1 filter where the OP reported that the oil came out clearer looking all other things equal. I noticed this when I last changed the oil on the G6 when I took off the Baldwin. I thought it was just the change to synthetic had finally cleaned out anything in the engine, as that was the fifth consecutive fill of syn in that car. Maybe it was the different filter. I'll have to keep an eye on the next two changes as there is a Fram on it now and it will be replaced with a Wix. I'll have to see what it looks like with those filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back