Castrol Hypuron 15w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local RS Strauss has Castrol Hypuron 15w-40 CJ-4 SM semi-synthetic gallon jugs for $13. Seems like a decent price for a semi-syn HDEO.

Any thoughts or VOA on this oil?

Castrol's oils are not mainstream in the personal use HDEO market; they are more prominent in the commercial market.

Generally, any of the brand name fluids are perfectly capable of "normal" OCIs, and most of them are capable past that duration. The "big three" (Delo, Delvac and Rotella) have the lion's share of the personal use market. But that does not mean Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Kendall, and many others are not good products.

I have used the dino Tection Extra 15w-40 and was quite pleased. I'm sure the Hypuron will do a fine job presuming you're using it in a properly-spec'd application. And that price is what I am seeing currently for retail shelf dino fluids in my area.

I'd say go for it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
The local RS Strauss has Castrol Hypuron 15w-40 CJ-4 SM semi-synthetic gallon jugs for $13. Seems like a decent price for a semi-syn HDEO.

Any thoughts or VOA on this oil?

I ran it for 8500 miles in my Cummins and it seemed to work well. IMHO better cold starts than conventional 15w40s like rotella. That is a great price on a very good oil, I would use with confidence. I might run it my next oil change cause I can get it a fleetpride for a similar price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back