Mercon V Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford F-150 4 Speed Trans 5.4L 3V.

Spring time I plan on changing my trans filter and adding a PML oversize pan cover. Has a real nice and easy magnetic drain plug and it provided IIRC 2.5 quarts additional fluid and some heat reducing fins as well. I've used them before, great product.

The PML pan makes dropping a the pan fluid a breeze. I planned on filling it with SuperTech Mercon V. She has MotorCraft Mercon V in it now.

Questions are: Any issues with quality of the Super Teck Mercon V?? What fluid change intervail recommended? What filter change intervail recommended?

AND: Any issue with switching to a full synthetic like M1 in a tranny that required Mercon V???

Thanks!

I used the SuperTech ATF to flush my system. I did not leave it in the sump. I bought a gallon jug ((4) quarts) of ST for about $9, drained the pan, filled the pan with the ST, disconnected the cooler line, cranked the car, shut down the engine when I saw the "fresh" ST come through, drain the pan, drop the pan, replace filter (screen on my application), cleaned magnet and pan, installed pan with new gasket, replaced ATF in pan with Amsoil ATF, cranked car, shut down engine when Amsoil come through, drained pan (this was predominantly the ST), filled pan with Amsoil ATF, connected cooler line and checked the ATF level in the car with the ATF up to operating temperature.

I understand you are trying to find the validity in the SuperTech, but in my opinion, your transmission is second behind the engine in the life of your truck. While SuperTech motor oil may get the job in short OCI, I would expect the same in their ATF. If you are going to go through the above procedures to get rid of all the MotorCraft Mercon V, you may as well put a proven ATF back in your transmission for years of service in the future.

However, if you feel you need to "flush" your system by performing the above twice within a couple thousand miles of one-another, then yes, flush the MotorCraft Mercon V out and replace with the SuperTech for the "flush" and replace the second time with a well-proven ATF.

Take it as you may.

I believe that Mercon V is a synthetic?
Can't remember if your truck has the 4R70W or not. I've worked on a number of these transmissions and have never had any issues using any brand of specific-label Mercon V, recommended for all current and prior year 4R70W's. BUT
smile.gif
I have not used SuperTech brand, I generally use Castrol or Shell Merc V as they are less cost than Motorcraft. I've also used Advance Auto Merc V with no problems. I stick with 40K +/- fluid and filter change intervals and I'm glad you're changing that filter, not just running fresh fluid in there. Debris caught in the filter will not flush, neither will crud lodged inside the valve body.

In order to get the licensing to use the Mercon V name, the fluid must meet specifications set by Ford. If it doesn't meet Ford's minimum specs, it can't be labeled Mercon V. So the Super Tech should not be too different from anything also labeled Mercon V.

That said, if you are going through the trouble of flushing the trans and upgrading the pan, you may as well spend the few extra dollars to buy genuine Motorcraft Mercon V. I don't know that it will necessarily perform better than the Super Tech, but I'd rather not take that bet on a $2000 component.

FWIW, I have used Super Tech Mercon V in my truck's power steering pump for years without issues, but I have not used it in the transmission. It's not that I think the transmission will suddenly grenade if I put Super Tech in, but when I'm already committing to having all 16 quarts flushed, it's easy for me to fork over a little more for fluid that I know is up to the task.

Good advice on the flush. Basically I was wondering if MotorCraft Mercon V is "better" than Super Tec Mercon V or if they should be basically the same.

I've heard that the Ford trans calling for Mercon V are very specific to that fluid and do not like other fluids. Hence the synthetic questions as well.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Ford F-150 4 Speed Trans 5.4L 3V.

Spring time I plan on changing my trans filter and adding a PML oversize pan cover. Has a real nice and easy magnetic drain plug and it provided IIRC 2.5 quarts additional fluid and some heat reducing fins as well. I've used them before, great product.

The PML pan makes dropping a the pan fluid a breeze. I planned on filling it with SuperTech Mercon V. She has MotorCraft Mercon V in it now.

Questions are: Any issues with quality of the Super Teck Mercon V?? What fluid change intervail recommended? What filter change intervail recommended?

AND: Any issue with switching to a full synthetic like M1 in a tranny that required Mercon V???

Thanks!

I've been using M1 ATF since M1 came out with their synthetic fluid in the early 90s in Fords of all kinds. To date I haven't had a tranny fail, but one never knows. Actually M1 fluid is outstanding and works very well in PS pumps as well.

Good advice on the flush. Basically I was wondering if MotorCraft Mercon V is "better" than Super Tec Mercon V or if they should be basically the same.

I've heard that the Ford trans calling for Mercon V are very specific to that fluid and do not like other fluids. Hence the synthetic questions as well.

You can sometimes venture outside of the Motorcraft box, but only if the fluid meets the minimum specs for Mercon V. It will say if it does on the bottle. Mobil 1 does meet the requirements, so it's safe to use.

I used BG full synthetic ATF for a couple years and around 60K miles (30K per fill) with no issues. There was no perceptable difference in how the truck shifted before or after (that's good). Right now it has Motorcraft Merc V in it only because it was more convenient to drop it at the Ford dealer than to schedule an appointment with the indy shop that sells the BG stuff.

Last edited:

I did a cooler line flush on my mother's 1997 Merc Mounty with 1997 Mercon in the 4R70w with super tech Mercon V. It did wonders for the old trans, going from plane jane dex/merc to Merc V.

Like others have mentioned it is a current spec and thus they need Ford's blessing (and Ford needs some of their cash) to put the trademark on the bottle. I would use any brand Mercon V with confidence.

Mercon V is a spec, and any ATF that meets it is interchangeable.

The requirements of Mercon V can only be met by Group III or better basestocks, so if you use a Mercon V fluid, you have the equivalent of Mobil 1 ATF already. To see an improvement in performance you'd have to go to a super premium like the Redline D4.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Mercon V is a spec, and any ATF that meets it is interchangeable.

The requirements of Mercon V can only be met by Group III or better basestocks, so if you use a Mercon V fluid, you have the equivalent of Mobil 1 ATF already. To see an improvement in performance you'd have to go to a super premium like the Redline D4.

Acording to M1s web site their MerconV rated fluid has a FP of 180 C. M1 ATF has a FP of 220C. Just the differance in FPs seems to indicate a better base stock with the M1 fluid. I know nothing about Red Line fluid, but there is a sizeable differance between Mobil's fluid, with the M1 fluid being the superior product. You are right in that all MerconV rated fluids are interchangable, but not all MerconV fluids are equal in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back