rhino ramps still safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was changing oil in a ford taurus today, i have a pair of 12k rhino ramps. the guy i was changing the oil for, i told him to drive up slowly, he gave the car too much gas, and the car fell on the passenger side on top of the ramp, had to jack it up to get the ramp out. the lip on the top of the ramp (to prevent a vehicle from going over) has a nice sized gash in it. ramp isnt cracked, should it still be safe to use? also can i post pictures from my facebook page on here to show the damage, or do i need photobucket or something like that?

I wouldn't trust them. Ever since my Expedition cracked and broke a pair of these in winter weather i haven't bought any since. Steel or wood for me on heavier vehicles.

I don't know, but I do know I did the same thing with one of our previous cars once. At that point I decided I'd just use jacks from then on, and haven't used the ramps since.

It's probably fine, but this isn't the kind of thing to be playing game with, IMO. They're build to withstand weight, but probably not crushing impacts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wouldn't trust them. Ever since my Expedition cracked and broke a pair of these in winter weather i haven't bought any since. Steel or wood for me on heavier vehicles.

Wood would be nice, but what kind of a saw do you use to cut a gentle angle and keep tgem from Geri g too long or too hard to get up? Too steep per wood plank and you can't easily drive up on all four wheels.

I've had no trouble with my Rhino ramps, but have never used them in really cold temps. I'd be suspect of one with a big cut or gouge in it though- sort of like a dent in the unibody box member of a modern car.

RE: DIY wooden ramps- you need 2x10s or 2x12s, here's the secret- each layer must allow the tire to place its full footprint on it *Before* it has to climb onto the next layer. Yes, it can make for a pretty long ramp. As far as what angle to cut the ends, follow the above & a simple 45 deg works fine. Takes more lumber than you thought- but if you keep 'em inside out of the wet they'll last a lifetime & hold anything you place on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of wood ramps that I made out of 2x12s. I did this after seeing the [censored] they had in the auto parts stores. Safety is #1.

Had the same problem with Rhino ramps slipping and getting deformed when driving onto them.

Now, when I must use Rhino ramps I lift the vehicle with a floor jack then gently lower it on the ramps, but not all the way, and leave the jack in place for redundancy.

I've had mine for years. Left them outside, lotsa use. They are about indestructible. Look how they are made. The 12K are even stronger than the 8K model which is still very tough. Unless there is structural damage, you are OK. One gash is nothing.

FWIW - driver has to be a real dummy to drive off one..........easy does it in one slow continuous motion.

Wood is HEAVY, much work to make, must be protected from weather, and a pain to store and transport. Did I mention HEAVY? That much 12" lumber weighs a ton. Be sure to install handles if you go this route. Rhinos have then built in.

Last edited:
Some polymers (plastics) are tougher than steel. Just because they are polymer does not mean they are not quality. I mean look at how polymers and plastics have taken over the gun industry. If you can make a frame out of polymer that holds 357 mags and 10mm guns, then I would trust them more than wood.

But damaged ramps should not be trusted. Better to lose a few bucks than your life.

I've used my Rhino Ramps more than a dozen times throughout the years, with no problems at all on my Mazda6s. I was extremely careful to pull up on them very slowly, and make sure everything was centered correctly.
I do agree that if any part of them looks at least slightly damaged, i would get rid of them.

I would probably continue to use them. How about just putting a jack or a jackstand under there after you drive up? Or even slide some wood under.

Shoot Rhino an email with pictures and the code #'s on the side of the ramps, my bet is they'll replace them. They'll send you paper work that you have to sign promising them you'll destroy the old ramps, and they'll replace yours. That's what they did for me.

Sold my 8K ones and got the 12K ones when we picked up our CRV....over kill yes. So far so good. I inspect mine every time I use them which is twice a year.

Anyone have Race Ramps from Brute Industries? When I was shopping, these were a little bit more money but they look better made.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Anyone have Race Ramps from Brute Industries? When I was shopping, these were a little bit more money but they look better made.

I've got 12K rhinos for the jeep on sale for $45 and the 2 piece RR for the sonata; they were a buttload more money, lol!
http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-56-inch-car-service-ramps.aspx

be advised; the rr are nice but they're an engineered foam core w/ an elastomeric coating; not too terribly robust in a rough and tumble world and only work on smooth surfaces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back