oil recommendation for a Wrangler please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'd like to hear some recommendations from you all regarding which brand/weight to use in my 2005 Jeep Wrangler.

Stats are as follows:

2005 Jeep Wrangler
4.0L straight six
67k miles
6 speed manual transmission
4.10 gears (high revving motor)
10w30 is the recommended fill as per Jeep

I use the Jeep as a daily driver with a commute of roughly 10-15 minutes in light traffic, and never break 60 mph. I would consider this to be severe duty as per the owners manual.

I drive pretty laid back with this car.

I live and drive in North Jersey, very hilly and the weather in the summer can break 95F and the winters can be as lovely as 10F (like tonight). I generally do not allow my car to warm up after a cold start as I believe this doesn't help warm up the transmission oil or engine oil...unless you guys recommend otherwise.

The car is new to me, just bought it last month and have placed only 300 miles on it through daily driving. I will be going through a complete fluid flush of everything in the car short of the blinker fluid very soon so I'm doing my homework right now.

For this vehicle, I have no real preference over conventional or synthetic oils but I will spend the money where needed if it will help longevity. I plan on keeping this car for at least 5-10 years.

I would prefer to purchase my oil off the shelf, I can get Amsoil and Total locally, but I'm not loyal to any particular brand. Oil change intervals are not an issue, if the product is good enough for 10k miles or 3k miles makes no real difference so long as I'm not burning through money too quickly because of it.

I'm also open to using green oils as well as reprocessed/re-refined oils (nexgen etc).

If I left any details out, please ask!

Thanks in advance!
Ron

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Any problems with your OPDA yet?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2005-06-jeep-opda_cps_distributor-failure-1144202/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stuck-road-need-help-1293507/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/chrysl...ld-read-963235/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/survey-do-you-have-opda-issue-05-06-tj-ljs-1188887/

not yet thankfully, but I do plan on inspecting it this coming weekend when I go about and swap plugs and do a front and rear differential service. the car is going to the dealership this coming Wednesday for an alignment, I'll bring it up if I notice any problems.

How familiar are you with this issue?

-Ron

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Rotella 'T6' 5W-40. Change every 7500 miles. Done.

thanks for the reply. I'm curious as to why you chose this oil? I use it in a turbocharged BMW ('98 m3 clone running 18 psi of boost and pure methanol injection) and also in a 2008 ML350.

Those two cars call for 0w40 and/or 5w40 weights where as the Wrangler calls for 10w30. Would I be safe running what I would imagine is a drastically different weigh oil?

Originally Posted By: themadhatter

Stats are as follows:

2005 Jeep Wrangler
4.0L straight six
67k miles
Ron

Were those 4:10 gears factory installed?

M1 or PP.....5w30.....with an OCI of 5K to 6K.

5W....will help with cold start-ups....run a little cooler in the summer....and give you a little better MPG.

Amsoil OE 5W-30 in Winter, OE 10W-30 during summer. You can also go year round with the 5W-30 or 10W-30 Signature Series. Cost doubles though.

Redline 0W-30 is also a good choice for year round severe service and a true 30 weight.

OE is gr 3
Signature is gr 4
Redline gr 5

If you are looking for the easiest to get and good value and do not mind shopping at a store that exploits their employees, then get (at Walmart) PP or PU 10W30 year round. I have the 4.0 engine in my Jeep GC and live about 2 hours north and I use PU if i can find it or PP. I assume your engine take 6 QTs. Better for the engine and only another five spot for the extra QT of oil.

I had an 05 Rubicon as well, make sure if you take it to a dealer to have the oil pump drive checked, that they put the cam position sensor (where the distributor used to go) back in correctly timed. I was not aware that these could go in and be off a few degrees, but they can. I had mine checked and afterwards, it pinged real bad no matter what gas i ran in it. Got rid of it about a year afterwards and later found out that they have a procedure for timing them with the chrysler scan tool, I'm guessing my dealer didn't complete this correctly. Also, most uoa's i've seen of the 4.0L, indicate that these engines really like the Rotella T6 5w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-40. I'd imagine even Mobil 1 0w-40 or GC would work well in them too. I always ran Havoline 10w30 in mine, but that was before I stumbled across this site.

The later 4.0's like yours don't seem to take to the 40 weights like the earlier ones are famous for liking, so stick with 30's for sure. Pennzoil YB and Rotella are really good bets, if you want a syn Mobil 1 High Mileage is probably the best pick for that engine with it's higher ZDDP.

I use a lot of Rotella 10w30 but mine (an 04) is actually quietest on Pennzoil...must be all the moly in it.

I've used a 0w30 in winter in the GC 4.0, and 5w30 in summer. Definitely makes start ups below 35* or so easier, and seems to help in summer as well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Stats are as follows:

2005 Jeep Wrangler
4.0L straight six
67k miles
Ron

Were those 4:10 gears factory installed?

yes, the 4.10s are factory installed as part of the Rubicon trim level. it also has several other goodies factory installed that are very desirable for those of us that like to play in the woods.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I had an 05 Rubicon as well, make sure if you take it to a dealer to have the oil pump drive checked, that they put the cam position sensor (where the distributor used to go) back in correctly timed. I was not aware that these could go in and be off a few degrees, but they can. I had mine checked and afterwards, it pinged real bad no matter what gas i ran in it. Got rid of it about a year afterwards and later found out that they have a procedure for timing them with the chrysler scan tool, I'm guessing my dealer didn't complete this correctly. Also, most uoa's i've seen of the 4.0L, indicate that these engines really like the Rotella T6 5w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-40. I'd imagine even Mobil 1 0w-40 or GC would work well in them too. I always ran Havoline 10w30 in mine, but that was before I stumbled across this site.

It will be at the dealership this coming week to have a few things checked out. I have the proper scan tool at home so that shouldn't be too much of an issue...American cars are so easy to work on compared to what I'm used to.

So you had no issues with Rotella T6?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I've used a 0w30 in winter in the GC 4.0, and 5w30 in summer. Definitely makes start ups below 35* or so easier, and seems to help in summer as well.

I always thought that running such a thin oil was bad for the motor, no?
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The later 4.0's like yours don't seem to take to the 40 weights like the earlier ones are famous for liking, so stick with 30's for sure. Pennzoil YB and Rotella are really good bets, if you want a syn Mobil 1 High Mileage is probably the best pick for that engine with it's higher ZDDP.

I use a lot of Rotella 10w30 but mine (an 04) is actually quietest on Pennzoil...must be all the moly in it.

YB = Yellow Bottle?

I'm going to guess that Pennzoil is a preferred brand of motor oil?
Originally Posted By: Donald
If you are looking for the easiest to get and good value and do not mind shopping at a store that exploits their employees, then get (at Walmart) PP or PU 10W30 year round. I have the 4.0 engine in my Jeep GC and live about 2 hours north and I use PU if i can find it or PP. I assume your engine take 6 QTs. Better for the engine and only another five spot for the extra QT of oil.

While I have mixed opinions of Wally World, we can save that for another thread.
smile.gif

yes the engine takes 6 quarts (6.1 I believe).

Aren't Rotella, Quaker State and Pennzoil all produced by Shell? What is the hierarchy between these three brands or does it go even deeper with their various grades such as PP and PU?

what do you guys recommend for a service interval with synthetic or conventional oil? twice a year, three times a year?

the last wrangler that I owned before this one, a 1990 Wrangler YJ leaked everything you put into it. Will I be more prone to leaks with this motor if I switch to synthetics?

thanks again!

If you read threw this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2376267&page=1

you might find some more Info to help.

I have been running Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 in mine and Im going to try Mobil 1 0w-40 very soon.

some people like to run an oil a little rich in ZDDP like me, others like to run a 10w-30 from any reputable brand.

read around and the choice will be up to you as the answer is debated

Hey, I have a jeep 1994 since new. I have used a high quality dino oil such as Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Castrol, or Valvoline and have changed it every 3-4k miles and it still runs strong. Has 124000 miles and burns no oil. Use a filter like purolator or purolator pure one. Use 5w in the winter and 10w starting in April and change it to 5w in OCT. It is a great motor and if you take good care of it she will last a LONG time.

I always thought that running such a thin oil was bad for the motor, no?

0w30 is the same viscosity as 10w30 when it is fully warm. However at start up it is thinner than 10w30, but still thicker than it will be once it warms up.

Last edited:
You'll find a lot of folks recommending a 5w40 in the 4.0l. I also used to use the Rotella till I tired o going to Wal-Mart to find it at a decent price. That was about the only thing I stepped foot in there for.

I switched back to a 10w30/5w30 whatever name brand is cheapest routine summer/winter after trying the Rotella. Despite the 5w rating, it held high pressure nearly all the time in the winter here, and the UOA's I did on my '88 Cherokee with the 4.0 showed statistically no difference.

Hundreds of thousands of these engines have survived just fine on 10w30. Quite frankly, this engine is not all that picky when it comes to oil. Keep it topped off, and rest easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back