Important to switch gas brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere on the Internet (so it must be true!) that it is best to use Top Tier gas because of the additional detergents, but that you should switch brands every once in awhile because you develop deposits from the detergents too. In other words, you need a different detergent every once in awhile to clean up after your additives. Think there is any merit to this?

It's all a bunch of [censored]. Top Tier is pretty much a marketing program little more. There are many manufacturers that are not part of top tier - the only ones that are: BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, VW/Audi. The rest of them are not. And many refiners are not on the list, including Sunoco USA.

Short story - use what gas is cheapest and in the octane your car requires. Been doing this forever and all my cars have lived well over 100k without engine/fuel system issues.

Yes, I switch brands every so often. It is called "traveling", and when I travel, I'm not brand loyal.

I have a Mobil station a few blocks from home, so I tend to fill up there most often. It is a matter of location, more than anything else. It is only a "side" benefit, that it happens to be Top-Tier gas.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I read somewhere on the Internet (so it must be true!) that it is best to use Top Tier gas because of the additional detergents, but that you should switch brands every once in awhile because you develop deposits from the detergents too. In other words, you need a different detergent every once in awhile to clean up after your additives. Think there is any merit to this?

Yes I read the same thing as you, I think written by somebody either in or who knew people in the gas detergent business.

What I found interesting since reading that is that Techron / PEA apparently does not leave anything behind to be cleaned up. So Chevron gas would seem to be the exception to the need to swap top tier fuel brands.

Alternatively, using a PEA based fuel system cleaner along with the cheapest gas you can find seems to be an acceptable strategy.

Last edited:
We have some no-name gas stations around here. Where would that gas come from? Guess its the gas Mobil didn't want. Wonder why.

It all gets delivered in the same pipeline, so mixing is a foregone conclusion. We just buy fuel at whatever place is least expensive.

Last edited:
Chevron with Techron is good stuff. Probably just as important is keeping your fuel filter changed on recommended basis. It keeps out particles that can clog or partially clog injectors. They are cheap, easy to replace, and readily available. Not to mention part of regular maintenance. Fuel line drier is important this time of year to remove water out of fuel lines also. It all adds up to happy motoring and minimal problems.

Ethanol is one of the best fuel system cleaners you can buy, and you are getting some in every tank..
21.gif

The main gist of my question was not if Top Tier or gas quality mattered, but whether or not it is important to switch gas brands in order to clean up the deposits left by additives. You would think that most gas brands would use the same or very similar additives, but maybe in different quantities.

It is my understanding that many refineries make the exact same gas for many type of brands out there. The gas tank truck is hit with the additive package for whatever gas station they are delivering too.

The main gist of my question was not if Top Tier or gas quality mattered, but whether or not it is important to switch gas brands in order to clean up the deposits left by additives. You would think that most gas brands would use the same or very similar additives, but maybe in different quantities.

Like I replied, PEA cleaners do not leave residue behind. Others do. Chevron is the only gas that I know of with PEA, so yes it does make sense to switch gas brands unless you use Chevron.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
It's all a bunch of [censored]. Top Tier is pretty much a marketing program little more. There are many manufacturers that are not part of top tier - the only ones that are: BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, VW/Audi. The rest of them are not. And many refiners are not on the list, including Sunoco USA.

Short story - use what gas is cheapest and in the octane your car requires. Been doing this forever and all my cars have lived well over 100k without engine/fuel system issues.

Top Tier was set up by CAR COMPANIES like BMW, Audi, VW, Honda, ect. . . It was set up BY THE CAR COMPANIES (NOT GAS COMPANIES) because these car companies found that the EPA mandated minimum level of additives where not enough to maintain the performance in their engines.

VW,Audi,Honda,GM,Toyota,ect. . . All recommend the use of Top Tier fuel.

They do not market a BRAND of gas. (unlike ford and BP fuel)

There are MANY different (competing gas stations) that meet top tier fuel standards. (Marketing only really works when your competitors are not listed next to you as an equal)

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/audi_service/service/audi_top_tier_requirements.html

http://www.acura.ca/owners/top-tier-gas

http://investor.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zht...&highlight=

Established by six of the world's top automakers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi), the current TOP TIER standard goes beyond EPA minimum detergent requirements. The automakers suggest the EPA minimum detergent level (set in 1995) may no longer ensure optimal engine performance for their increasingly sophisticated engines.

The TOP TIER standard, which originally went into effect in May 2004, was updated in May 2008 and required additive manufacturers to submit fuel performance data from independent, accredited laboratories by November 29, 2010. Today, to be licensed as providing TOP TIER gasoline, fuel retailers must meet the updated TOP TIER standards in all grades of gasoline. In addition, each fuel outlet carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards

If you wish to know more, click here: http://yel.pca.org/tech_fuel.php

Originally Posted By: Kuato
It all gets delivered in the same pipeline, so mixing is a foregone conclusion. We just buy fuel at whatever place is least expensive.

Raw fuel is very different than finished retail fuel with the retail outlets proprietary or general additive package.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
We have some no-name gas stations around here. Where would that gas come from? Guess its the gas Mobil didn't want. Wonder why.

Comes from the same place Mobil/Shell/ect. . . fuel comes from. It just does not have Mobil/Shell/ect . . . additives in it.

Just for the record, no Chevron around here in upstate NY. Not sure if there any in New England either.

To answer that, there are no Chevron stations in New England. I think they are only in the western US.

The base gas is gas, what makes a definite difference is the blend of additives and detergents in each brand.

Some ARE better than others ..quite a bit better in fact.

It is true that Techron (PEA) detergent is better than most detergents because it cleans carbon better than all other gasoline detergents BUT most importantly it DOES NOT leave behind its own residue which other detergents do which contributes to build up deposits on intake valve areas.

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Just for the record, no Chevron around here in upstate NY. Not sure if there any in New England either.

To answer that, there are no Chevron stations in New England. I think they are only in the western US.

Did find a Phillips 66 in Braintree, MA, a couple of months ago. Like Chevron, Phillips 66 is mostly in the western parts of the US of A as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back