Additech "at the pump" fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here have experience with this? I think this is the system Costco is starting to install at some pumps. The detergent is appears to be PEA plus Mannich condensate anime with a lubricant. Additech is an Afton company and Afton is one of the biggies in fuel and lube OEM additives, so "it must be good" right.

http://www.additech.com/additechcompany

Walmart pumps have had it for some time. It is an option when you buy your gas. I have never used it. It doesn't seem to me you that can tell how much is being added as you gas up at Walmart pumps.

@mrsilv04: "precisely"? hehehe.

I tried the Additech once at a Murphy USA station, and the concept seems cool, al a carte additive selection and all, but ya know, you don't really know what you're getting, since it's getting "mixed in" as you pump.....

As I recall, they got a couple different selections, standard "Gas Treatment", then a Fuel Injector Cleaner, or some such. Boy has it been a while since I been to a Murphy store.....hehehe. Only 1 WM in my area has Murphy gasoline, and it's not my typical "stop"

Hmm, I'll have to try it next time I'm in the South. Is there a gallon concentration it works best at? Phrased another way, how much gas needs to be purchased to get a good dose? Both of my cars never take more than 8-10 gallons a fillup since one has a 10-gallon tank and the other a 12 gallon tank.

I don't think the dosing matters......as Aditech mentioned, it's all premixed in the fuel
wink.gif
Now, if you want to get the best "before and after" affects.....then drive in on an empty tank to fill up
wink.gif
Where you can have the most concentration of fuel and additech.
smile.gif

The actual product is dispensed before any fuel is pumped. You can hear it and feel it come through the nozzle. After product is dispensed the fuel starts and so does the counter on the pump.

Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
The actual product is dispensed before any fuel is pumped. You can hear it and feel it come through the nozzle. After product is dispensed the fuel starts and so does the counter on the pump.

Thanks! That explains it a bit more.

It sounds like a cool idea, but it would never fly here. I can buy Top Tier gas at exactly the same price as any of the independents with no name gasoline. For gas without the addons, they'd have to undercut the Top Tier retailers, and that would last about ten minutes here.

I remember a few years back, I got in the crown vic to go to the store. And I noticed that it was driving a little smoother and had a little more pick up. Then I remembered my wife told me she add additech to the gas the other day. So it seems like a good product, but I also added it to my other cars and nothing.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
I remember a few years back, I got in the crown vic to go to the store. And I noticed that it was driving a little smoother and had a little more pick up. Then I remembered my wife told me she add additech to the gas the other day. So it seems like a good product, but I also added it to my other cars and nothing.

Probably the CV had some carbon build up on the intake valves and or injectors and the AT cleaned it effectively so you got back lost performance. The other cars probably did not have the same carbon deposits so no serious removal occured = same performance.

I never noticed any difference after adding additives.. i think its in my head.. but every now and than i add some.. may as well just use higher octane gas and forget the additives...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I never noticed any difference after adding additives.. i think its in my head.. but every now and than i add some.. may as well just use higher octane gas and forget the additives...

High octane doesn't equate to better fuel.
I have driven across country many,many times. My mustang is very temperamental and is dyno tuned for 91 octane. Not all gas is created equal. I have found here(in Canada) that petro Canada,shell,chevron, always have good quality fuel. I can tell by how my mustang runs and mileage. I learned that fresh regular gas runs far better then older hi test and northern Ontario doesn't sell much high octane and the fuel in the pumps is usually pretty old.
Stick with top tier

And as far as fuel additives(octane boost,injector cleaner etc) go the only one I have ever used that gave me a noticeable power/economy/general running improvement was seafoam on my high mile 4x4. Helped the rough idle. Fuel economy improved slightly. I did the intake,spraying the seafoam spray and dumped some in the vacuum lines. That is actually what sold me on the product

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back