Got to shoot some this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer - this is nothing but my observations, just for reading...

I acquired a used Kahr P45, put some rounds through it this past weekend to ensure it was reliable for carry.

I had one FT fire and three FT feed...the fire issue was a lead RN reload, it did not fully allow the slide to shut which cause a light striker hit; which is also what caused the feed issues (two other reloads). I was not surprised as I had already read where the Kahr is particular to OAL and bullet profile...the problems were because the bullet engaged the riflings prior to the slide shutting...both were fat/broad round nose and were hitting the bullet about an 1/8 inch above the casing. I had a single FT feed that was a factory round (Golden Sabre), but I believe it was simply "one of those things" as I fired fifty more without a hiccup. But this was not the reason I thought I would post. For the record, the round nose reloads were completed on a Dillon press and ran perfectly through my M+P 45c and my dad's Springfield 1911...its the Kahr's barrel that causes the issue, and knowing that makes it a non-issue.

A lot of us use the 45ACP for CCW and home defense. I had the opportunity (for no other reason than poor timing) to run some 230gr Golden Sabre, 185gr HydraShok, some OLD 185gr PMC HPs, and several reloads using 185gr HPs (sierra sport) with either Unique or Bullseye powder, and all about dusk. Obviously, most defense situations are probably going to happen at night; so having low muzzle flash is a desirable thing. I was shooting a loose pile of dirt about dusk, so nothing really scientific.

Of the previously listed, here's what I found out of a 3.8" barrel:

The Golden Sabre was the best hands down...no flash (a few sparks). Only one of (about) ten rounds we dug out of the dirt didn't fully expand (appeared to have hit a rock that closed the HP).

The PMC had little flash, but none of the bullets recovered even hinted at expanding. It should be noted that these HPs were not pre-fragmented (old style HPs).

The HydraShoks were the WORST for flash, coughing a huge muzzle flash each round. I was absolutely amazed a defense round would have this much flash. Every round recovered had full expansion, and these felt quite hot for a factory standard pressure load.

Our reloads (not the round noses!) had good expansion regardless of powder used. The Unique had slightly less flash than the Bullseye, but neither were objectionable. The Sierra bullet expanded very well, and of the (about) ten recovered, only one failed to expand and it looked like it hit a stone. I ran 75 of these, without a single hiccup...these are on the high side for a standard pressure round, but not anything close to being considered +P.

One good thing to note, all of these rounds penetrated to between 24 and 30 inches...again not scientific, but pretty consistent.

I didn't receive my order of Winchester LE 235gr in time to try it, but I am planning to use this as my primary carry round if it functions correctly. I have a 100 rounds sitting here right now...just need time to test. If they don't work well (or have too much flash), I will run the Golden Sabres.

On a side note, the very first magazine ran netted me a 3 inch group at about 7 yards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back