Driving with Techron Concentrate and low fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't driven my car for over 2 years. Working on bringing it back on the road, and planning a coolant, ps, atf, engine, brake works. Had a question around fuel. It sat since Sep 09 on a full tank of gas, and over the last few days, is down to half tank. It hasn't really behaved any differently now that it had before. I've always filled the cheapest gas, rarely at Shell or Exxon or Mobil, and never used an additive such as Techron. If there are deposits in the fuel system, would it be useful to fill a bottle of Techron concentrate when the fuel is very low and revving it at 3000 or 4000 rpm till the fule runs out, so that it gets consumed and does what it is supposed to do, and then fill it with Techron and full tank of regular fuel? or will this do more damage than good and best to follow directions that were meant for regular running cars? Car has 119,000 miles now, and am planning on keeping it.I am in the north east. Suggestions appreciated.

I would be concerned that your fuel system isn't gummed up. Did you use fuel stabilizer for that tank of fuel? Have you started up the car regularly or has it been sitting for 2 years?

I'd probably dope a bit of MMO I to the tank, topped with 1/2 gal of shell premium v-power just to mix it all up. Drive gently/normally until it is all used up. Apply techron, or perhaps better the treatment dose of redline SI-1 or amsoil PI, then after that tank, change the oil. Id probably do another oil change after maybe 1000 miles just to get all the old junk flushed out. If also sooner rather than later take it on a 50-200 mile drive to really get everything heated and moisture flashed off.

I would skip the MMO personally. Techron is excellent, but you are more concerned about gum/varnish in the tank & lines than cyliner deposits or clogged injectors. Startron or StaBil Marine both have a lot of cleaners to dissolve the gum. As does E10 gas. I would keep a spare filter and tools to change it for the first 500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would skip the MMO personally. Techron is excellent, but you are more concerned about gum/varnish in the tank & lines than cyliner deposits or clogged injectors. Startron or StaBil Marine both have a lot of cleaners to dissolve the gum. As does E10 gas. I would keep a spare filter and tools to change it for the first 500 miles.

Very good advice. Just say NO to MMO.
The Techron Concentrate is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: 91344George

Why? The vehicle has sat with a substantial amount of solvent in the fuel lines. Some of it may have degraded, some may have flashed off, etc.

I'd be looking to get a little lubricity into the system while running the old fuel through to get it done and out of the system, before running cleaners.

A little lubricity is a good thing when putting the car back into service.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Why? The vehicle has sat with a substantial amount of solvent in the fuel lines. Some of it may have degraded, some may have flashed off, etc.

I'd be looking to get a little lubricity into the system while running the old fuel through to get it done and out of the system, before running cleaners.

I agree...

Originally Posted By: JC1
I would be concerned that your fuel system isn't gummed up. Did you use fuel stabilizer for that tank of fuel? Have you started up the car regularly or has it been sitting for 2 years?

I've never added anything to the fuel, ever. Didn't plan to stop driving, never prepared the car for the inactivity, just happened.

I started it once every three months, jump starting it and filling the air pressure in the tires and moving it from one spot in the parking lot to another (100 ft).

I'd probably dope a bit of MMO I to the tank, topped with 1/2 gal of shell premium v-power just to mix it all up. Drive gently/normally until it is all used up. Apply techron, or perhaps better the treatment dose of redline SI-1 or amsoil PI, then after that tank, change the oil. Id probably do another oil change after maybe 1000 miles just to get all the old junk flushed out. If also sooner rather than later take it on a 50-200 mile drive to really get everything heated and moisture flashed off.

What's "MMO"?

Oil change isn't an issue, plan to do one soon, as well and can do it again after 500 miles. I put in a Fumoto valve a few years ago to avoid stripping, and have either used the Honda filters, or the Mobile1 black filters (forget the model), and the Mobile1 synthetic.

Techron, StarBil, Startron are all additives to be added to the gas tank, right? Do you recommend adding them all together, or anyone of them?

Also. just to confirm, when you said "filter", you meant the engine oil filter, and not fuel filter, or another filter, right?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I agree...

I've driven it around 50 miles in the last three days, and can't sense anything irregular yet. Is there something that I should look out for?

If it seems to be running fine, then just top off with some fresh gas and you are good to go.

Techron will do no harm and may clean-up deposits. There will be no loss of lubricity with storage, but there can be deposits form from oxidation, water absorption, or separation.

Again, if it is running fine, I don't think that you have much to worry about from the fuel. You may want to make sure that none of the rubber products start to crack as you begin to work them again. I suggest that you take a look at the rubber portions of the brake lines and at the hoses over the next days/weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back