bardahl no smoke causing big trouble!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in the advance auto today. Git a gift card there for Xmas. And picked up a few nick nacks. And I got on the topic of my oil consumption and the guy said his brother had a Saturn and the no smoke helped alot because it was thick and I figured what the heck ill try it. I warmed my engine up like they said to do and put it in drove for 20 mins and went home I checked my oil and its lower than it was. So I popped oil cap and there is the [censored] they call no smoke sittingin the head and it won't drain. What should I do? I don't want to leave it in there. Any help is appreciated

Sounds like it might take a while to mix in. You are zigzagging with this oil and that additive to find a solution. The truth is , that car is going to use oil no matter what you do short of piston and ring replacement. Best thing you can do is run a quality oil and check it every time you fill up. If you think you have solved it , you will only be surprised when its suddenly more than a quart low. I've had 2 saturns and the best thing is just check and add every fill up.

P.s. Dont run too thick of an oil, the timing chain tensioner has a small hole

Last edited:
Very unfortunate, this is why you don't mess around with snake oil additives.

You could try to "wash" it out with some kerosene....... Obviously this will require an oil change.

You listened to the parts counter monkey? Oh no!

Rule#1 NEVER ever use a snake oil product, MMO,Lucas,ect.

The only thing you should put in your engine is just plain oil.

Well I've used motor honey and it doesn't solve nothing just makes it burn a little less. I had no idea this stuff was such junk. How would I was it out with kerosene. Would letting the car idle until its good and warn be a good idea. Maybe warming it up real good would make it drain? Yes I've learned my lesson from now on I'm only using regualr oil and gas in the gas tank. I'm done with snake oil. Sad that I'm stubborn enough that I'm learning the hard way but I guess sometimes its the best way to learn.

So you finally learned that there are a lot more snake oils on the market than oil additives that actually do something?

My advice is to try to get the oil up to temp with a good freeway run, or some spirited driving to try and get that thick ole' stuff into the pan so you can drain it out, then refill with some quality oil and call it a day, that Saturn is going to burn oil no matter what you throw at it until you replace the rings.

Kerosene will likely dissolve it just by pouring it on it. If you still have the container, put some kero in it and see if it dissolves it to test.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Well I've used motor honey and it doesn't solve nothing just makes it burn a little less. I had no idea this stuff was such junk. How would I was it out with kerosene. Would letting the car idle until its good and warn be a good idea. Maybe warming it up real good would make it drain? Yes I've learned my lesson from now on I'm only using regualr oil and gas in the gas tank. I'm done with snake oil. Sad that I'm stubborn enough that I'm learning the hard way but I guess sometimes its the best way to learn.

Take it for a long drive, and get the stuff mixed in, then drain the oil hot. Idling the engine is not going to get it hot enough. Drive it, an hour should do.

I found a way to stop my Saturn's oil consumption. Just park it and never drive it.
grin.gif

For nine year I have tried all kinds of things (synthetic oil, MMO, etc.) Still uses about a quart per 800 miles or so. Car runs better than ever at close to 200,000 miles. Top off or rebuild. I chose to just top off.

I agree I'm done messing with it. I will just use conventional oil from here on out. On your Saturn did you notice a difference with regular or hm oil? I will probably use Valvoline from here on out.

Two of Murphy's Laws:

"If it ain't broke--don't fix it!"

"If you fix something long enough, you will break it!"

Virtually all early model Saturns, the ones that Saturn built before GM made them use GM engines use oil like spasm3 said.

No wonder Saturns sell so cheaply these days..... The oil cost is more expensive than the fuel costs!

Would Walmart have it I don't want to drive to far. Kinda worried maybe I'm over reacting but I don't want to kill my car.

Based on what you've said so far, here's what I would do if it were my car.

Buy a quart of cheap dino 10W-40, 15W-40 or 20W-50 oil. Drive for > 20 mins to get engine hot. Heat your new oil up on the stove top (80-85 F) and pour it over the snake oil through an appropriate funnel to ensure you don't get hot oil on you or over engine. The new hot oil should somewhat thin out the snake oil. I'd probably keep the engine running while doing, being very careful to be safe.

I'd prefer to do this than put kerosene in my engine, but that's just me!

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Based on what you've said so far, here's what I would do if it were my car.

Buy a quart of cheap dino 10W-40, 15W-40 or 20W-50 oil. Drive for > 20 mins to get engine hot. Heat your new oil up on the stove top (80-85 F) and pour it over the snake oil through an appropriate funnel to ensure you don't get hot oil on you or over engine. The new hot oil should somewhat thin out the snake oil. I'd probably keep the engine running while doing, being very careful to be safe.

I'd prefer to do this than put kerosene in my engine, but that's just me!

Well, the idea with the kero is that you don't run the engine, LOL. I'd drain the oil, leave the drain plug out, and then, if he finds with his prelim check that the kero does indeed dissolve it, then pour it over the goop and let it drain out the pan.

Let it sit for a while, maybe flush it with another quart of oil, then button it up, add fresh oil and away ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back