Amsoil Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil Vs. Stihl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always run Stihl 2-Cycle Oil in my Stihl trimmer and blower. Someone at work convinced me to switch to Saber™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil. So I did, only difference is I noticed increased fuel consumption. What or is there abenefit of the Synthetic vs the Stihl Oil? Now remember, the Amsoil is 100:1 and the Stihl is 50:1.
Thanks

Last edited:
I have many years of experience with two cycle engines. I'm what you'd call a two cycle enthusiast.

I own a few vintage air cooled Yamaha motorcycles that have been modified to produce quite a bit more power than stock. I own probably 25 two cycle engines in various applications from bikes, to snowmobiles to OPE to outboard motors. All of my stuff runs well, runs strong and lasts long. I appreciate what a two cycle engine is and can do. I understand their strengths and weaknesses. In short, I know what's good and not good for them.

100:1 is NOT good for them. Sure, they'll run on it and won't blow up anytime soon but you can rest assured that your bearings, pistons and rings will not hold up as well as an engine seeing a steady diet of 50:1.

Try to imagine how little oil is in a fuel mixed 50:1. Now cut the amount of oil in half. That's all you have to lubricate the entire engine.

Do what you want. It's your engine. However, I don't care if it's Spamsoil, Scamsoil or Amsoil, 100:1 is simply a bad idea.

Go back to the Stihl and mix it at 50:1. Your engine will be grateful.

I'm going to agree. I'm amazed that 2.6oz (50:1)of oil in a gallon of gas is enough Lubrication for several hrs of run time. 100:1 is scary to me.

How long would a 4 stroke engine run with 2.6oz of oil in the pan?

IMO 32:1 for high stress stuff, 40:1 for a trail bike and 50:1 max since thats what Echo says with their oil or another quality oil.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Use Amsoil and mix it at 50:1.

+1. That's what I'm doing with Amsoil Saber with graet results.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Go back to the Stihl and mix it at 50:1. Your engine will be grateful.

+1

Originally Posted By: jpstiles02
I have always run Stihl 2-Cycle Oil in my Stihl trimmer and blower. Someone at work convinced me to switch to Saber™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil. So I did, only difference is I noticed increased fuel consumption. What or is there abenefit of the Synthetic vs the Stihl Oil? Now remember, the Amsoil is 100:1 and the Stihl is 50:1.
Thanks

First of all, it's pretty cool that you can notice a difference in fuel consumption. What you notice is real - because as you went to a lower oil ratio, your engine will go to higher fuel to air ratio, hence the fuel consumption increase. If you leaned (via jet or needle adjustment) your fuel back a bit your fuel consumption would decrease. I run Saber at 80:1 and have no change in fuel consumption, so my advice is close to the other fellows, go with 50:1 - 70:1.

Plenty of 2-stroke experts on the internet. You probably won't do well trusting a guy that calls legitimate products silly names. That kind of stuff has zero place on BITOG. I notice all he did was try and steer you away from Amsoil and never actually answered why your engine was doing what it is - anyway Amsoil Saber at 50:1, even up to 80:1 will get your fuel consumption back down and provide plenty of protection.

Thanks!

Paul

I like synthetic oil for 2 stroke engines, they tend to run cleaner for less engine deposits and less smoke. I like the Stihl Ultra synthetic and run it in all my chain saws and gas trimmers.
The Amsoil Sabre is great oil as well, but I would still run it at 50:1 (The Stihl Ultra is mixed at 50:1 as well).

Yeah, lets not allow 30+ years of two cycle experience and ownership of 25 or more two cycle engines get in the way of a good sales pitch!

Pablo, I've never questioned the quality of your product. I'm certain it's a fine oil.

I have however, and will continue to question it's value. It's all about economics and what you get for your dime. If I can get 99% of the effectiveness of Amsoil from an oil that's 20% of the cost, that only makes good sense right?

I run the stihl hp ultra oil at 50:1. ive also used the amsoil at 50:1. both work great. I can buy stihl oil a few miles away and support a family store, or amsoil and support a pyramid scheme.. makes it easy.

Originally Posted By: car54
I run the stihl hp ultra oil at 50:1. ive also used the amsoil at 50:1. both work great. I can buy stihl oil a few miles away and support a family store, or amsoil and support a pyramid scheme.. makes it easy.

"pyramid scheme"? Wow. Amsoil is a legitimate company with a legal business model.

And I'm not a "family store"?
33.gif

What is the current actual cost difference between Sabre and Stihl HP Ultra? Before I picked up 2-stroke oil by the 5-gal container from a landscaping supply company going out of business, I bought Sabre by the case at the preferred customer rate. As I recall, it wasn't more expensive than the other premium oils (this was a couple of years ago).

In these parts, Amsoil of any kind is around $14.00 a liter. I can buy a 5 liter jug of excellent two cycle oil(made by Shell) for $12.00 to $13.00 when it's on sale and for around $16.00 when it's not.

When you're looking at that kind of price difference, it's hard to justify paying so much and getting so little in return when the oil I've been using for the last twenty years has been doing such a good job.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
What is the current actual cost difference between Sabre and Stihl HP Ultra? Before I picked up 2-stroke oil by the 5-gal container from a landscaping supply company going out of business, I bought Sabre by the case at the preferred customer rate. As I recall, it wasn't more expensive than the other premium oils (this was a couple of years ago).

To actually answer your question:

$7.88/qt (32oz) for Saber
$7.99 for 12.80 oz Stihl HP Ultra

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I did a cost analysis a few years ago, that's a price difference I didn't expect. If you accept the premise the oils are similar in performance (I've checked the landscaping boards, and Sabre is one of if not the highest rated 2-cycle oil among the pros), at less than 1/2 the cost of Stihl it's pretty much a no brainer from an economic perspective. I wouldn't mix it at 100:1, but since it contains less solvents and more lubricants, it can be safely mixed at a higher ratio, making it even more cost effective.

I haven't been sold on Amsoil's benefit as a car motor oil from a cost/performance/convenience standpoint, but IMO the 2-stroke and gear oils are hard to beat.

As an ex Mercury marine engine tester, I can say, without any doubt, 100 to 1 will increase engine wear in highly loaded engines. I know, that lightly loaded 2 strokes, simply loafing along do just fine on 100 to 1. But, you must remember that even the manufacturers increase the ratio on variable systems. Outboards, for example, run 100 to 1 at idle and low power settings. And, that's perfectly fine. As there is plenty of oil remaining on the parts under those conditions (low airflow and load)

There are those who will make all sorts of unsubstantiated claims, possibly backed up with singular real world examples, and anecdotal results (I won't ever dismiss those results, drag racers are a great example of what people can do without scientific data). And, there are those of us who have been involved in actual, real world, scientific, 2 stroke oil testing. So, I am qualified to claim what I claim...

Disclaimer: I'm not the worlds leading expert on 2 stroke oils, just someone with experience in the field. Some time ago, I worked as a tech, under some incredibly intelligent and experienced individuals. Our goal was not to determine what oil was best. Rather, we were interested in gaining a competitive advantage, with production based engines. Testing was based on oil ratio and power output. Wear rates were a key aspect of the testing, as these engines needed to go a full season without overhaul.

Oh, by the way, I use 32 to 1 in everything. I'm also using 100LL Avgas, as the Ethanol is reducing the lifespan of my fuel lines and fuel tank components.

I don't think I got across what I intended. I meant you can mix Saber at a higher ratio than oils that contain solvents, not higher than 100:1. 50:1 is what I use, but I suspect you can go higher without a significant problem.

LL Avgas is a great recommendation. I've also had problems with Ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back