oil recommendations for a 2005 FZ1....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys- I've been sniffing around here for a while and thought I'd just go ahead and throw this out there for public opinion. I have a 2005 Yamaha FZ1 with about 8,500 miles on it. The previous owner used a variety of oils (Yamalube from the factory, then 10w30 (I'm not sure what he was thinking there..) and then Honda GN4 10w40) People tell me these motors are pretty bulletproof (its a 2nd gen. R1 motor) and they can live on pretty much anything. What recommendations do you guys have for me? Thanks for you input!

Last edited:
The real questions here is, How often will you change your oil?,How will the bike be ridden? Easy street, spirited street, or track use? How much are you willing to pay for oil?.Now if you check out the uoa motorcycle posts, you'll see what everybody uses on a variety of bikes. You can see how they hold up. Most don't stick to the factory recommended change intervals, they usually cut that in half.The big arguments are usually regular oil or synthetic. While good arguments have been made for both,you won't hear about real life catastrophes from either oil used. Blown or broken motors, generally are from operator error.So read away and remember it would be hard to pick a bad oil nowadays.,,

Im currently running rotella 15w40 in my r1 with daily runs over 120+ wheelies and everything else. Just rolled over to 19k miles on her and it runs like new. i change every 1k miles with the filter every 3k, only reason is i get rotella for 7$ a gallon. From my use and teardowns with rotella in powersports apps i wouldnt question using it in your fz1. Its a great oil at a great price

Originally Posted By: gorilla
People tell me these motors are pretty bulletproof (its a 2nd gen. R1 motor) and they can live on pretty much anything. What recommendations do you guys have for me? Thanks for you input!

True...

Modern motorcycle engines are pretty bulletproof these days
and will travel 100,000 to 200,000 miles which usually out
lives the rider's interest... so engine life is not a problem
as long as you stay within the 3 recommend oil viscosity weights...

If Yamaha recommends a 30 weight then thats the one I'd use
and enjoy the free horse power the lower viscosity affords...

The Japanese spec'ed oil is called 4T. You'll see this on any motorcycle oil, and the viscosity you need is probably 10W-40; that will be listed on a sticker on the bike and in your owner's manual.

That said, many of us use a diesel engine oil with great results. Shell's Rotella is the only one that has passed the wet clutch testing, probably because Shell is the only diesel engine oil maker to pay for the test of their oil. Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 or Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic would be good choices.

If you only ride on the street then I recommend Motul 7100 10W-40.

If you hit the track and run the tar out of it then I recommend Motul 300V Factory line.

Pricey, YES! Worth it? Every penny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back