G-05 in Toyotas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start this out with the statement that I'm cheap. I'm also lazy. Probably lazier that cheap, so I don't mind spending cash to save me work. Being lazy, and not wanting to incur unnecessary repairs, I'm pretty "retentive" about maintaining my vehicles.

A while back I picked up a couple of cases of G-05 to put in my 4 GM vehicles after having Dexcool problems with one very properly maintained cooling system, and one not not so properly maintained vehicle. After deciding that Dexcool worked well with dry GM intake manifolds, I only converted one vehicle, and ended up with a lot of extra G-05.

Not having fully informed myself on the subject of proper anti freeze in Japanese vehicles, I converted the wife's Toyota RAV 4 to Prestone All Makes, All Models a few years ago. I've since seen the error of my ways.

My question. After an extensive flush, can I convert to G-05 (that I have a lot on hand), or will Zerex Asian or Toyota pink provide enough of a benefit for me to pick some up?

I went through this exact same question when changing the coolant in a friend's V70. I'm also cheap, and lazy--with an emphasis on lazy. Like you, I had some G-05 on hand, and I wanted to use it up. Eventually, laziness won. I decided it would be easier to just use the manufacturer-specified coolant versus getting an advanced degree in chemistry... The more I read about coolants, the more my head started to hurt. YMMV and all that.

I'm lazy too...but lazy just doesn't cut it when it comes to dealing with my own vehicles...so Asian cars that call for hybrid OAT coolant type still gets the proper treatment (G05 out of the pic) and I got my hands on a couple of jugs of Zerex Asian Vehicle formula (red) and been sleeping well ever since.

Q.

I also loaded up on caraappy tires brand of Hybrid OAT coolants for my family so I'm set for many, many more years of servicing/maintenance.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like a trip to Napa for Asian Zerex is in my future. Hope I don't have to order it by the case like with the G-05,

Originally Posted By: Quest
...and I got my hands on a couple of jugs of Zerex Asian Vehicle formula (red) and been sleeping well ever since.

Zerex Asian isn't red.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For Toyota I would use either Zerex Asian or Toyota pink or Peak Global.

I agree. Only problem with the first two is they are both a premix, ok if you are doing a radiator drain and fill. Wasteful if trying to do a complete system flush/exchange. Toyota Red is full strength, but recent posts indicate the price has gone through the roof, I suppose because of the Toyota switch to SLL Pink.

That's why I'll likely go with full strength PGL next time in my Tacoma. But, that's just me.

You could also check a few Ford dealers for the price of Motorcraft Specialty Green, it's a full strength Asian P-OAT.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Quest
...and I got my hands on a couple of jugs of Zerex Asian Vehicle formula (red) and been sleeping well ever since.

Zerex Asian isn't red.

I stand corrected: Zerex Asian is indeed red (more like pinkish red, not crimson red).

I still have 1.8jugs in my garage....

Q.

[Quote from ArrestMeRedZ]: "I've since seen the error of my ways".

Can you expand on this statement? Did you experience a failure?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For Toyota I would use either Zerex Asian or Toyota pink or Peak Global.

+1. I'm using Peak Global in my Toyota and will just do a drain and fill next spring with it.

Happy New Year!

Fwiw I've used G05 in my MKIV Supra for years with zero problems. The cooling system still looks near pristine. Dunno how it'd work in newer Toyos though.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
My question. After an extensive flush, can I convert to G-05 (that I have a lot on hand), or will Zerex Asian or Toyota pink provide enough of a benefit for me to pick some up?

Zerex Asian is a premix, so it's okay for topping off but not so okay for a full fill since you won't wind up with a 50/50 mix.

The current factory Toyota coolant is an OAT, with no silica, and with a phosphate. The thinking is that OATs are used by the majority of brands because it is long-lived, Toyota believes that silica is detrimental to water pump seals, and in Japan water is generally soft and so, unlike Europe and North America, phosphates cause no problems. Honda and Nissan use basically the same stuff.

DexCool might work except that it contains a plasticizer which causes problems with elastomers in Japanese cars.

G-05 is a different approach but works about as well in the Japanese cars. It is a nitrited HOAT with a very small amount of silica. I have run enough of it in Japanese vehicles to conclude that the small amount of silica in it is of no concern.

The only caveat is that you need to a full flush. I do two flushes with distilled water and then add the requisite amount of G-05.

Otherwise pick up the Toyota, Honda, or Nissan concentrate and do a conventional flush and fill. Except for the colors they are all the same stuff, so you can go by price.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
[Quote from ArrestMeRedZ]: "I've since seen the error of my ways".

Can you expand on this statement? Did you experience a failure?

I apologize for being ambiguous. No failures or leaks, 155k miles on the original water pump and radiator. The error mentioned was reading up on proper anti freeze selections on BITOG after changing out the factory fill.

I had planned on replacing the OEM pump when I did the timing belt, but I looked at the ChinaZone replacement part I had picked up, and realized the original would probably outlast the new one. I deciced to take the risk, and returned the new pump. The next timing belt change, I'll use a new factory pump.

I also wasn't aware that Zerex Asian was only available as a premix. That pretty much takes it off of the table for me.

I forgot to mention that the RAV is a '96. We picked it up in 2003 with 15k of the most gentle miles ever put on a vehicle. You could have flipped it and eaten off of the undercarriage. Ever since, the poor thing has been abused. WOT on cold starts, repeated short trips in town (spouse), long trips at close to full throttle for extended periods (me), hauling sod (spouse), run out of oil until the light came on (twice) (spouse, but I should have checked on her), etc, etc.
In spite of the oil usage, it's not an oil burner, it runs like a champ, still looks good (after a detail to get rid of the landscaping refuse), and refuses to die.

Not having fully informed myself on the subject of proper anti freeze in Japanese vehicles, I converted the wife's Toyota RAV 4 to Prestone All Makes, All Models a few years ago. I've since seen the error of my ways.

I apologize for being ambiguous. No failures or leaks, 155k miles on the original water pump and radiator. The error mentioned was reading up on proper anti freeze selections on BITOG after changing out the factory fill.

So you ran Prestone AMAM for a long time without any problems? If that is the case, why go to G-05 or OEM coolant? The Prestone AMAM is easy to find and is cheap.

Just because I've gotten away with AMAM doesn't mean it's among the best coolants for the job. Also, I've got to keep Dexcool and G-05 on hand, and from the sounds of things, G-05 is lower in the undesirable silicates than AMAM.

I'll look into Peak Global as an option.

Just because I've gotten away with AMAM doesn't mean it's among the best coolants for the job. Also, I've got to keep Dexcool and G-05 on hand, and from the sounds of things, G-05 is lower in the undesirable silicates than AMAM.

I'll look into Peak Global as an option.

Prestone AMAM has no silicates.

Good point. It's the 2EHA that eliminates it from consideration. I've had to do too much work with replacing plastic gaskets on Dexcool systems to knowingly use coolants that contain 2EHA on cars that I'm not sure the gaskets are compatible.

...I've had to do too much work with replacing plastic gaskets on Dexcool systems to knowingly use coolants that contain 2EHA on cars that I'm not sure the gaskets are compatible.

And that's the main question imo, gasket compatibility. Peak LL and ST (universals) may be just fine in some/all Asian vehicles, then again, might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back