2012 Ford Raptor Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac

I just bought an 2012 Ford F150 Raptor. It is the 1st Truck I have owned my last 5 cars where all leases. I own a few other work trucks Isuzu, Freightliner, Volvo and other Deere Heavy equipment all with diesels so I got that covered. Now with the Ford I plan to keep this truck forever it will be driving under 7500 miles a year. What are your sugestions for oil brand, weight, and freq. of change for me also if you dont mind Oil filter recomendation.
Thanks by the way I am new member to this forum and there is a lot of great info on this site.

Redline oil change every year. Use the weight ford recommends.
ATF-every 25k with T-case as well
Gear oil- every 50k-Both diffs
and Amsoil filters.
Arguably the best of the best here.
Dusty

If you have a warranty, you should stick to the OEM recommendations. You will (no doubt) receive many recommendations from all of the members here and you will have to decide which is best for you.

My recommendation would be Pennzoil Ultra in 5w-20 or 5w-30 (whichever the Raptor OM recommends) with a Motorcraft FL-820s filter. While there are more expensive options, for the money it is hard to beat this combination. This combination will allow you to reach your 7500 mile oil change interval and stay with the warranty recommendations.

Whichever "combination" that you choose, one thing that you should do is change the oil early to remove wear metals that will be circulating within the engine for the first few thousand miles. Maybe one at 1,000-1,500 and another at 4,000-4,500 with MC synthetic blend/FL-820s and then move into your regular OC rotation with the oil/filter combination of your choice.

Best of luck with the truck and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Sorry it has the 6.2 engine. Ford specs 5w-20. I was planning on the 1st oil/ filter change with MC at 1,000 miles and then switch to full synthetic at 4.000 miles.

As stated above, use the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 oil at 4000 miles. PU is a great oil as demonstrated by 2010_FX4's many oil analyses. The PU really seems to "agree" with the Ford truck motors. I would stick with the Motorcraft filters, they are excellent.

Congrats on such a nice truck. From the advertisements, they are one tough truck!

By the way,
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Take it from a former service advisor/manager,stick with Motorcraft oil and filters at least through the warranty period. I know that any brand that meets or exceeds specs has to be accepted by the manufacturer, BUT, I have seen first hand that using the manufacturers brand leaves absolutely no room for them to kick about it in the rare event you do experience a problem. Just be sure to document EVERYTHING!

A warranty changes everything. Use what they say if you value the warranty. Read the owners manual carefully as there is normally a comprehensive maintenance schedule in there.

DO NOT LISTEN to the service people at the stealership as they often sell unneeded extra services that are not required by warranty.

Originally Posted By: jetmech1
Take it from a former service advisor/manager,stick with Motorcraft oil and filters at least through the warranty period. I know that any brand that meets or exceeds specs has to be accepted by the manufacturer, BUT, I have seen first hand that using the manufacturers brand leaves absolutely no room for them to kick about it in the rare event you do experience a problem. Just be sure to document EVERYTHING!

This is what I did on both my Lincoln's. Switched to PU after warranty expired but still used MC oil filter. If your going to drive this truck hard, you might want to do 20k tranny flushes.

Nac:

Are you going to baby it, or run it full bore and do mild mods? That thing really needs a programmer to get the sluggishness out of it and make it shift better. You also get another 25HP & 35ft/lbs. Might even keep up with a HEMI truck (kidding).

If you are going to run it hard, I would definately do an early first change and then go synthetic. The 6.2 definately generates some major heat when run hard. The PU 5W20 is as good as it gets for an inexpensive locally available oil.

That truck is unbelievably fun. I have torn my Dodge truck to pieces chasing my brother around in his Raptor. Great fun.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Might even keep up with a HEMI truck (kidding).

Not 6.2 F150s, but close enough.
grin.gif

Quote:
If you are going to run it hard, I would definately do an early first change and then go synthetic.

+1

Yeah! I love it when he does that.

The Eboosted F150 is faster than the 6.2 in every test I researched. Or quicker, depending on what you're into.

But hopefully no one here believes that loaded up Dodges are fast either.

The scary thing about a Raptor is it has some of the worst brakes ever made! That thing takes forever to stop!

I like the Raptor.

Its bad-censored.

laugh.gif

fordsvtraptorpress_02.jpg

They stepped it up from the 5.4 its first MY if i recall correctly..............................

Just dont do any jumping, or any serius off-roading in the Raptor, you will bend your frame, and have a terrible gap between the bed and cab. Look it up, interesting info about Ford's lack of design, and Ford not taking responsibility for their screw-up.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The scary thing about a Raptor is it has some of the worst brakes ever made! That thing takes forever to stop!

They want you to jump over stuff not stop for it.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back