oil filter life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I recently took advantage of the oil change deal at AAP and bought a K&N HP filter. Assuming that Pennzoil Platinum is used in the engine, how long will this filter last? If I decide to drain the PP at around 5k, can I re-use the filter?

The K&N is identical to a Mobil 1 oil filter plus the welded nut on the bottom. It should last 15k with ease. I personally reuse my M1 and Amsoil oil filters and use them for their recommended interval of 15k. (i'd run it 7k as per my OLM x2.)

You should be able to do the same. The filter will only get better with age (supposing that your engine isn't shedding an abnormal amount of metal)

Originally Posted By: Artem
The K&N is identical to a Mobil 1 oil filter plus the welded nut on the bottom. It should last 15k with ease. I personally reuse my M1 and Amsoil oil filters and use them for their recommended interval of 15k. (i'd run it 7k as per my OLM x2.)

You should be able to do the same. The filter will only get better with age (supposing that your engine isn't shedding an abnormal amount of metal)

Do you take off filter and drain then put back on. Or do you leave the filter on and just drain the oil pan?

Last edited:
Yep, re-using oil filters is fine. Several people have commented, however, that you may not want to remove the filter, drain, and re-install -- the gasket may be crushed and not seal as well. Of course, there are several people here who have done so, and as far as I know, nobody has complained about it!

My guess is that the old oil in the filter isn't going to hurt anything. There was a study done by an oil company (can't recall right now who) that showed adding just a little oil as a top-off would significantly extend the life of the oil. So adding 3/4 or more new oil back (this is being generous, assuming you have a big oil filter and a small sump) would be OK.

I have a M-104 Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad's car for 2 years, but change the oil every 6 months since he only drives 3000 miles per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back