Oil Filter Wrench Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to purchase a few oil filter caps so that I can service my Prius and my friend's new Civic. Well, I was hoping to purchase one that can service both cars...

My understanding is that the Toyota cartridge filter requires a 64mm cap, preferably metal.

CTA tools states in their application chart that #2485, which is 64mm, is OK for the genuine Honda filter and the Toyota cartridge filter.

However, Assenmacher recommends their 64mm cap (#TOY640) for the Toyota cartridge filter applications and their 63mm cap (#5063) for the Nissan and Honda applications.

Someone on the prius forum said their genuine Honda filter cap also works fine for their Prius cartridge filter. In addition, the genuine Honda cap has a warning which states that it will not work on aftermarket equivalent filters. This makes sense, because CTA Tools' page is saying that the Fram equivalent filter for Hondas needs a 65mm socket and not a 64? Plain weird, as I guess this means the OE Honda filter has a slightly smaller end.

I measured the Pureone filter I have in-stock for our Nissan 3.5 and the filter measures 63mm so I think Assenmacher's recommendation of a 63mm filter cap for Nissans is spot-on. However, this may mean they are wrong about using a 63mm for Hondas?

Unfortunately the Honda's filter location prohibits use of filter pliers. You could try, but I would rather not risk it (and face the humiliation) if I am wrong and I am unable to remove the ultra-tight factory filter on the first visit.

Pandabear told me that some of his 64mm filter caps are too small for the Honda filters, go figure.

So, for those of you who have a Honda, are you using a 63mm or 64mm filter cap? Or 65mm?

I think I am going crazy here trying to sort this out. Perhaps I should just go out and buy three sockets-- the dealer Honda one, the Assenmacher 64mm for the Prius and some sort of universal for every other aftermarket Honda filter.
mad.gif

Thanks.

Last edited:
HF sells a kit of about 10 for a decent price. But after changing oil for 40 years on my own vehicles, one accumulates many oil filter wrenches. So I have a few band wrenches, one jaw wrench, etc. However I believe I have more different wrenches than total cars I have had.

I took my OE filter into AAP and tried it on. Their tools are really cheap Chinese knock-offs but they work. On our Accord V6, a 6" extension is also necessary.

Last edited:
Just buy the bigger size and stuff it with sandpaper or duct tape if it's too loose.

Even different brands of the same filter will have different end patterns. You will need an assortment of the cup type wrenches or maybe 2 sizes (large/small) of the strap type wrenches.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
Even different brands of the same filter will have different end patterns. You will need an assortment of the cup type wrenches or maybe 2 sizes (large/small) of the strap type wrenches.

Critic is asking about a cartridge filter cap not a spin on. However, I bought my cap wrench at O'Reilly's for the Fusion for around $8. They can order the one you need, and it fits perfectly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Just buy the bigger size and stuff it with sandpaper or duct tape if it's too loose.
Ayup, I got an ancient band wrench with a strip of flannel shirt taking up the slack. You only need the durn things if you put the filter on too tight.

My 2010 Vibe (Toyota 1.8 engine) is supposed to take a 64mm for the cartridge filter housing. I could find none on the shelf, so I ordered an "OEM" brand part #25412 from Autozone. It would not be my first choice if you have access to other brands. This is an aluminum 64mm, 14-flat cap wrench with a hex on the end rather than a square hole for a ratchet drive. It works, but something flexes just enough that the cap gets jammed in the wrench and must be knocked loose.

I can't answer the Honda question, but if they are spin-on filters, I would take them to the store to test fit wrenches before doing an oil change.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I measured the Pureone filter I have in-stock for our Nissan 3.5 and the filter measures 63mm so I think Assenmacher's recommendation of a 63mm filter cap for Nissans is spot-on. However, this may mean they are wrong about using a 63mm for Hondas?

They are wrong. Honda's 15400-PLM-A01/A02 filter, which is specified for about 95% of Hondas out there, takes a 64mm cap.

Honda sells part number 07AAA-PLCA100 as the cap for its 15400-PLM-A01/2 filter. This cap also fits Toyota's 90915-YZZF2 filter, and probably other Toyota filters as well, but I can't speak for the new cartridge-style ones.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: The Critic

They are wrong. Honda's 15400-PLM-A01/A02 filter, which is specified for about 95% of Hondas out there, takes a 64mm cap.

Honda sells part number 07AAA-PLCA100 as the cap for its 15400-PLM-A01/2 filter. This cap also fits Toyota's 90915-YZZF2 filter, and probably other Toyota filters as well, but I can't speak for the new cartridge-style ones.

Well they are sorta right. I bought a CTA HD #2485 (only $9) today which is 64mm. This will fit snug on the Honda A02 filters. Not super tight, not loose, but just adequately. I think a 63mm will be a very solid and tight fit which will make it difficult to remove from the filter-- which is something that I'd prefer actually.

What I told Critic was that I purchased the Toyota 64mm filter wrench 16 years ago, and a "big" Honda filter wrench for the older "big" Honda OEM filter. Then one day I found out that the dealer installed the "small" filter during a recall / warranty service, and I tried to use the Toyota wrench to open it and found that it works.

Later I bough 10 "small" Honda filters and only 5 of them will fit my Toyota wrench. I sold the 5 that doesn't fit to my coworkers and he was able to use them with his 65mm Honda wrench. I decide from then on to use Purolator "big" Honda filters, which works with my "big" Honda wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back