Overdrive Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the Overdrive Off light periodically coming on during startup on a 99 Explorer . Is this a common problem with these vehicles ?

The truck shifts normally and the overdrive button works when I push it to switch the overdrive on and off .

This is usually caused by a Faulty solinoid pack in the trans on your 99. Its very common

Its an pretty simple swap. Remove the pan and valve body the the pack sits right there.

Which engine do you have? The V8 and V6 use different transmissions. On the 99 V6 (5R55E) the solenoids are not in a pack, but are installed individual. On the newer 5R55W they come together in a pack. V8 models have the 4R70W transmission, and it is a much better unit.

Not sure if that is the cause of your OD light or not.

That is correct The 5R55w and 4r70w have packs.The 5R55E will need scanned to determine which solinoid it is. Over drive light flashes because of spikes in pressure. Unless there is a chaffed wire there is no other reason for the OD light to flash. It will illuminate solid if there is major problem. I know some people have changed fluid or had the system flushed and it has worked but IMO it's a big gamble and 100.00+ loss if it doesn't work.

Find yourself a Transmission Parts wholeseller. They will sell to you. If it's a pack the part should be around 170.00. Individual they are about 60bux each

OD light should have stored a code that could be read to point you to the system affected. I get the occasional OD flash on my 02 that indicates 2-3 shift is sometimes out of range. Not a big deal as it has miles and an aftermarket tune, will rebuild at some point where it becomes a real issue. I can read the code with my standard code reader although sometimes more specific codes can only be read with more specialized equipment.
My experience is with 4R70W units, sometimes a faulty or slightly clogged EPC solenoid can be the culprit. Note that the EPC/shift/TCC (converter) solenoids all have screens that can get gunked up over time/miles, or of course they can simply start to fail.
I would suggest that you first see if there is a stored code. As others have mentioned, could be a wiring (connector) issue as well. I have had good experience with transmissionpartsusa.com and bulkpart.com as online parts suppliers.
Example of 4R70W various solenoid pricing:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/AODE_4R70W_transmission_solenoids_s/12302.htm
As mentioned by other poster, doing a fluid/filter change is nice but a gamble. Note that recommended fluid for all 4R70W is specific Mercon V rather than previously spec'd Mercon.

The solenoid pack is part number 1L2Z-7G391-AG and costs $366,32 US. (Good thing you don't need that) I would go to a wrecker and pick some up, cost might be $10 each. The single solenoids are a simple on-off unit and are generally reliable.

This forum will have all of the answers you need to do this job yourself. Ford Transmission forums

Its not to hard, I have been into my tranny about 5 times in the last few years and also put in the Ford update kit for the 5R55E, and that work very well.

To the OP, do you have the Ford update kit installed? Do you ever get a 2-3 shift flare>

Last edited:
Good lord I rather put it on Red then to take that advise. If the OP finds it's 366bux PM me and I will have one sent to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Good lord I rather put it on Red then to take that advise. If the OP finds it's 366bux PM me and I will have one sent to you.

The OP may not need the solenoid pack; if he has a 1999 V6....

Last edited:
My only comment is that I wouldn't be throwing out or trusting any part numbers here since I don't beleive the OP has mentioned which engine/tranny combo he has.

For those who don't know, this generation of Explorer came with completely different engine and drivetrain combos (V6/5Speed Auto or V8/Speed Auto are possibilities), and the parts needed for any repair depend on that info.

I agree but I would never buy a Junk Yard noid either

Not sure why not...You can bench test the shift solenoid with 12V and use an Ohmmeter to see if they're good, and failure is rare with these. They are as good as the ones the OP has in his tranny right now (after all the ones in there now are used) If we are talking about the EPC solenoid, then yes a new one would be a better choice unless cash is tight.
banana2.gif

We're talking about a 13 year old truck here...
19.gif

And we can't help the OP much, until his breaks down and reveals what engine he has.
21.gif

Last edited:
Im not even sure we will hear back from the OP. I see so many people having problems ask for advice and then never post in the thread again. We have all asked questions that will help get his problem solved.

Im not even sure we will hear back from the OP. I see so many people having problems ask for advice and then never post in the thread again. We have all asked questions that will help get his problem solved.

15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back