Brake cleaner on Alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I repaired a valve cover leak that dripped quite a bit of oil on the alternator. I got as much oil off as I could but I'd like to get it as clean as possible. Would it hurt to spray brake cleaner on and around the alternator? Any bad side affects of brake cleaner getting down in the alternator?

Thanks

If your brake cleaner touches the bearings on the alternator it may remove the grease from them. You'll forever have a noisey, groaning alternator after that.

I'd not spray any solvent on the alternator. Even if you spray water on the engine be certain to start the engine as soon as possible to dry things out.

Should be fine. Blow dry that sucker when you're done and start the car to let the alternator run for a few mins.

Originally Posted By: 229
Better to use electrical parts cleaner.

This is probably OK...BUT like the other poster mentioned you may remove grease from the bearing if this solvent is able to migrate into the bearing assembly.

If it was me I would just remove as much of the oil by wiping as possible and leave it at that. It is never good to soak any part of an alternator.

Last edited:
I used brake cleaner for this exact reason. Worked great, bearings okay. Probably a good idea to keep the spray from near the bearings though, for good measure.

Ask my brother how brake cleaner on an alternator works.

He is lucky his truck didn't burn to the ground when the alternator caught fire.

Alternators get kinda hot when the lubricant is washed away.

Most modern alternators have double sealed bearings which aren't terribly susceptible to liquids.

My vote is to remove most of it by hand and spray away, then blow it dry.

Why the need to remove more than you can with a rag? I think the good you might do is nil compared to the bad you possibly might do. If it really needs to be cleaned, take it to a rebuilder who can take it apart and clean it properly. If you got oil in the brush area I doubt you would make it better by spraying it with brake cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why the need to remove more than you can with a rag? I think the good you might do is nil compared to the bad you possibly might do. If it really needs to be cleaned, take it to a rebuilder who can take it apart and clean it properly. If you got oil in the brush area I doubt you would make it better by spraying it with brake cleaner.

+1 I'm with this train of thought too. Alternators live in a dusty, greasy environment as it is, I'm thinking it's going to be fine. Don't fix what isn't broke yet!!

Thanks for all the input! I'm not gonna try the brake cleaner. I've got it pretty clean, it's just a few nooks I can't get too. The alternator is kinda buried beneath the valve cover and against the shock tower. I might try the Super Clean on a rag, I haven't tried any solvents yet.

Please keep in mind that there are two different types of brake cleaner on the market today: flammable and non-flammable. You'll need to read the label to figure out which is which, although generally the flammable one is cheaper.

I would not use the flammable stuff anywhere in the engine compartment.

I'd use brake cleaner for sure, but I'd also take apart/partially take apart the alternator first.
Gotta keep the bearings greased, and you have to get the oil off of the brushes and commutator. And also and residual oil that may drip back on them.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'd use brake cleaner for sure, but I'd also take apart/partially take apart the alternator first.
Gotta keep the bearings greased, and you have to get the oil off of the brushes and commutator. And also and residual oil that may drip back on them.

Thanks, the alternator is buried, can't get to more then about half of it. It is still under warranty so if it fails it's covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back