Royal Purple 10w40, 11,769 miles, 2001 BMW 330ci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally wanted to try green GC. In fact, I have about 14 bottles of it (which BTW I'll sell to anyone who wants them). But GC is too thin for me now. No way will I keep adding quart after quart of makeup oil anymore.

Cheers.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
I suggest the next time you try the Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (German Castrol) or move back to Mobil1 0w-40 which should perform better now that the motor is fully broken-in.
These are excellent oils, are in full compliance with BMW, designed to last long time and cost less than RP.

Help me out on your consumption. I've read the thread ..but didn't determin if it was linear with the M1 ..or progressive. Did the consumption wait until about 3k and then routinely need top up (with thinner stuff) at regular intervals ...or did it progressively get worse?

Whenever I encountered "progressive" consumption ..I usually integrated (with no factual basis for the assumption) that the oil has sheared or had experienced some other insult that had compromised the properties that were present up until the point of the onset of the consumption.

I think that you exacerbated this event by topping up with a 5w-30. I've never used it ..but all my impressions of M1 0w-40 are that it's weak knee'd and wimpy ..at least compared to 5w-40.

That being said, RP did a great job other than being in service too long due to TBN. Extended drains doesn't appear to be this oil's target market.

btw- good show on being outside of the 3-5k trap.

With the M1 it's very regular consumption - say every 3,000 miles give or take, linear in other words. I've heard lots of theories, but never anything very convincing.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Help me out on your consumption. I've read the thread ..but didn't determin if it was linear with the M1 ..or progressive. Did the consumption wait until about 3k and then routinely need top up (with thinner stuff) at regular intervals ...or did it progressively get worse?

Whenever I encountered "progressive" consumption ..I usually integrated (with no factual basis for the assumption) that the oil has sheared or had experienced some other insult that had compromised the properties that were present up until the point of the onset of the consumption.

I think that you exacerbated this event by topping up with a 5w-30. I've never used it ..but all my impressions of M1 0w-40 are that it's weak knee'd and wimpy ..at least compared to 5w-40.

That being said, RP did a great job other than being in service too long due to TBN. Extended drains doesn't appear to be this oil's target market.

btw- good show on being outside of the 3-5k trap.

I think vad answered most of his own questions.

Original owner, original oil changer, lots of freeway miles, did I say lots of miles!, no more warranty - not for a long time. My auto tranny will die way before any lubrication issues arise, that's for sure.

But hey now, I'd expect BITOGers not to take such a dogmatic, fundamentalist view of any manufacturers oil recommendations. There are always ulterior motives (like CAFE, like product life cycles/obsolence) that often don't benefit the owners/consumers. BMW LL and all that are nice, but (as I have always asserted) BMW's own synth 5w30 is not the best oil in the world (a Castrol grp 3, SLX or TX something?) - they'd be using AMSOIL if they wanted the BEST (right, Pablo?)
tongue.gif
. Anyways, a little experimenting isn't going to hurt anyone, or that well-used car of mine.

And the data speaks for itself - RP is an excellent oil, with limitations on its useful life. And wanting to push that particular boundary, RP wouldn't be good for me, unless I was happy with say 11,000 miles.

Still enjoying the discussion!
Cheers.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
BTW, you're potentially voiding your warranty by using the oil that doesn't conform to the BMW LongLife-01 standard!
I suggest the next time you try the Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (German Castrol) or move back to Mobil1 0w-40 which should perform better now that the motor is fully broken-in.
These are excellent oils, are in full compliance with BMW, designed to last long time and cost less than RP.

Keep those 330ci UOA's coming. I can't get enough.

I'm interested in seeing you try that green GC. It's pretty close to a 40 wt.

I've got 38L ready to go in my 02 330ci (no, not all at once).

I'd also have been interested to see how the 0w-40 would have held up if you topped up strictly with that. It has turned in some good UOA's on the 3.0L BMW inline six as I recall.

I use Mobil 1 5w30 in my Toyota Landcruisers and I have never noticed any oil consumption issues but I'm talking Landcruisers a 1995 (135K miles)and a 1999(60K miles). I think the problem is the engine not the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back