Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 - SN or SM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

It's time for an oil change in my LS3, which is currently running SM PU 5w30. My local store has both SM and SN on the shelf.

With the talk about weaker additives in SN oils, should I stay with the SM version?

That is a good question. SOmetimes when you have a good thing you don't change it and PU (SM) really seems like it should fit in that category. BUT, the SN version appears to be an outstanding base-stock with an "Amsoil-like" NOACK Volatility. I would say it is worth a try. I just bought some of the new stuff. We need to try out the new to see if we need to buy up all of the old
grin.gif

Ant, it would instructive for the board for you to buy the SN, test the SM when you change it, then test the SN when you do that OC. A direct compare of SM vs. SN back to back, same engine would be nice to see.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Ant, it would instructive for the board for you to buy the SN, test the SM when you change it, then test the SN when you do that OC. A direct compare of SM vs. SN back to back, same engine would be nice to see.

Great idea

A UOA would be of little value at this point with only 9,000 miles on a LS engine(hihg copper, lead).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back