Mobil Special oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I saw this stuff today at Target. I had never heard of it. It says on the back that it meets the requirements of Ford WSS-M2C946-A It is an API service SN oil and says "Resource Conserving" on the the round donut.

What exactly is this Ford requirement? I took some pictures with my cell phone but cannot find the cord to download it on to my computer. I will post these if I find the cord.

Has anyone else seen this oil by Mobil.?

Wayne

I saw it at Target just a couple of weeks ago and also wondered what it was. Target is the only place I've seen it. I assume it must be positioned "lower" in their product line than the Super 5000 dino oil because the price is less than the Super 5000, but don't know for a fact that the quality is less. One difference is there isn't any 5000 mile guarantee with the Special so I figured this might the "cheap bulk" oil that places like Jiffy Lube and lots of other places use for people who still want to change their oil every 3k and not break the bank doing so. If I find out anything more after Googling it, I'll make another post.

Here are the two pictures I took.
030-1.jpg

029-2.jpg

This almost appears that it is for use in Ford vehicles only since it doesn't say it is approved for other makes's specs.

Wayne

Just went to Mobil's website. Mobil Special is their "conventional motor oil" whereas Mobil Super is their "premium conventional motor oil." It further says Mobil Special is "formulated from quality base stocks to give engines the appropriate protection under a variety of everyday operating conditions. Mobil Special replaces Exxon Superflo."

In contrast, Mobil Super is "[d]esigned to help protect against sludge, reduce engine wear and extend engine life, [and] contains more additives than Mobil Special." At another point, they say Super has 15% more cleaning agents than Special. Another difference is Super is back with the "Mobil Super Engine Guarantee even at 5000 mile oil changes" whereas is there is no such guarantee for Mobil Special.

I don't like the wording! Like the others have said why isn't it approved for GM or Chrysler cars????

Besides that they make it sound like it's barely meets re requirements. It truely must be Mobil's lowest end oil. Even I can afford that!

Durango

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Just went to Mobil's website. Mobil Special is their "conventional motor oil" whereas Mobil Super is their "premium conventional motor oil." It further says Mobil Special is "formulated from quality base stocks to give engines the appropriate protection under a variety of everyday operating conditions. Mobil Special replaces Exxon Superflo."

In contrast, Mobil Super is "[d]esigned to help protect against sludge, reduce engine wear and extend engine life, [and] contains more additives than Mobil Special." At another point, they say Super has 15% more cleaning agents than Special. Another difference is Super is back with the "Mobil Super Engine Guarantee even at 5000 mile oil changes" whereas is there is no such guarantee for Mobil Special.

Yes, Mobil Special is their entry level product. A pretty good oil as it is but the 5000 is worth the extra couple bucks in my opinion considering there are some [censored] good deals on it out there.

I'd also like to add that the 5000 is readily available and the Special is little harder to find. I mean, the old Mobil Drive Clean/Clean that the Special replaced wasn't available in quarts in most parts of the country if at all.

Well, this was the first time I had ever seen this oil and was wondering if it was new or something.

I was back at Target today and looked at some of the other viscosities and they said it met different specs compared to this 5W-30.

I'm not really sure Mobil needed to have two varieties of conventional oil. The oil companies have really made it confusing for the person who doesn't know any difference between all of these types.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
Well, this was the first time I had ever seen this oil and was wondering if it was new or something.

I was back at Target today and looked at some of the other viscosities and they said it met different specs compared to this 5W-30.

I'm not really sure Mobil needed to have two varieties of conventional oil. The oil companies have really made it confusing for the person who doesn't know any difference between all of these types.

Wayne

True, too many choices do confuse the average consumer. In regards to the MObil 5000, it really is the only one of it's kind in terms of the Mobil's offering. Other brands have their "standard" conventional and the next best is a high mileage or syn blend. With Mobil, you have a choice of the standard conventional (Mobil Special)and a premium one (5000). It's not their biggest seller but does have a place in the market.

I use Mobil Special 30W in my lawnmower. I also found it at Target (in their dwindling automotive section). Yes this seems to be Mobil's entry level oil.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my cars, if there are no other deals going on. I'm not sure if it's just the Target in my area, but their Super 5000 is a API SM oil, while the Special is API SN. I found that interesting.

I saw this while my girlfriend was browsing around Target. Thought to myself "Hmmm...Special. I wonder what's so special".

Apparently not much. Ahhh marketing!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Should also mention that Mobil Clean 7500 is their semi-synthetic oil. It is above their Super 5000 and below their Mobil 1 line of synthetics.

They dont make Mobil Clean 7500 anymore. Mobil super HM is a syn blend though.

Mobil Clean 7500 has been replaced with Mobil Super Synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back