Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's true. The only question is whether the broad performance claims are more true of Royal Purple than of any other good synthetic.
wink.gif

I know it has been a while since I posted the results, so a quick update on my experience with RP.

I pulled the heads to replace the springs with BeeHive's and did some light porting and polishing (clean up) I also replaced the Comp 127200 NSR's with the Parnelli Jones Comp 127300 VSR Cams. They have at highest lift without removing or limiting the phasers.

Here are some of the pictures( remember this car has 85,000 on the clock)
Block2.jpg

Porting and polishing

PDRM2337.jpg

Valve1.jpg

And yes, I did all the work myself...

I have 95,000 miles today so doing my Royal Purple oil change.
My friend's car, the one with the M1 Cams; He spun a bearing on the way back from Carlisle, PA; destroyed both heads, pistons and block as well as the cams. he is in the process of replacing the entire engine but the added cost of heads and cams is delaying the build.

I was able to test the Cams with a micrometer, I took them to the shop where his car is and had them MIC'ed the RP Cams with twice the milage had NO wear at all. We tested against new stock cams (shelf set from ford) and the Micrometer reveiled ZERO wear. yet the M1 cams had a noticable "groove" where the followers touched the lobes on the cam. I had pictures but traded my iPhone 3g for a 4G and forgot to pull the pictures. I will do this again over the winter, the Shop is doing a Dyno tune so I can take full advantage of the Cams.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
New Pictures

scott11.jpg

scott12.jpg

Made some changes to the appearance of the engine bay

scott23.jpg

Funny, a buddy of mine spun a bearing in his '01 GT a few years ago, I think it was #7 rod bearing. Though I think his was "user error" if you know what I mean
wink.gif

Car looks as awesome as ever
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks,
My Friends car started to use oil, he ran low a couple times then "boom" I will try to find the pictures of the damage, it's bad. He was using Comp 127500 stage 3 cams with phaser lockouts so the valve lift was high, the valve to piston contact bent the intake valves and imbeded them into the heads. Sad, very sad.

Thanks,
My Friends car started to use oil, he ran low a couple times then "boom" I will try to find the pictures of the damage, it's bad. He was using Comp 127500 stage 3 cams with phaser lockouts so the valve lift was high, the valve to piston contact bent the intake valves and imbeded them into the heads. Sad, very sad.

YIKES!

I get the impression he's not as much of a maintenance nut as you are eh?

welcome2.gif
back!

Thanks,

Is this the one you were talking about a couple of posts up when you mentioned the groove in the cam lobes?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
welcome2.gif
back!

Thanks,

Is this the one you were talking about a couple of posts up when you mentioned the groove in the cam lobes?

I got the impression that it was.....

nice clean looking engine... dare I say looks new! With your measurements you've confirmed it's a good oil.

Originally Posted By: steve20
something doesn't smell right

400hp
and the weight of a Rustang ?

=doesn't add up

either it isn't 400 hp, or it isn't 12.29, or a lot of weight was removed from it's rather portly 3540 curb weight

Ya know, I'm no drag racer. But I do live 3 miles directly East of Moroso (now PBIR) and I go there regularly when I find myself bored, with nothing to do.

My overall impression is that a late body style Mustang, with a few mods, will turn in very good times. It adds up! They perform quite well. I invite you to come here and see.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Have you tried the new API SN RP oils which lack Synerlec?

^^That`s what`s making me afraid to use RP anymore. They took out the additive that they claim makes their oil do what it does. I did a UOA with RP 20W50 (SJ rated w/Synerlec) and there were no wear metals at all in the test results. BUT,will the "synerlec-less" RP be as good,or is it just an average over the counter synth,no longer in the "boutique" status?

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried the "new" sn without-Synerlec" RP yet? Does it still have that odd "rubber" smell to it?

Originally Posted By: DragRace
One of the best threads on this forum IMO. Thanks for updating!

I second the thanks for the updates, but I have to say I think it'd be sad if this really were one of the best threads on this forum.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Has anyone here tried the "new" sn without-Synerlec" RP yet? Does it still have that odd "rubber" smell to it?

I am using the new 5W20 SN stuff and it does not have that same odd smell as the old SL formula's did.

Originally Posted By: deven
Royal Purple still has synerlec but only if you get their new "HPS" line or the 5w40 flavor only.

Are you sure that the 5W40 actually has it? The 5W40 is API SM which required a big drop in ppm of ZDDP over SL. That is why RP resisted reformulating for so long. RP's Synerlac relies heavily on ZDDP. If the 5W40 actually does have it then I would say the 0W40 and 15W40, their other 2 SM rated weights, would as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back