Royal Purple Can Do What??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
I was wrong. The pictures are labeled correctly. I need a better monitor.

Here is the reply that I received from Eric Liu:

The surface of a worn cam lobe would
generally have a much darker hue than one with very little wear. If you
look closely at the picture of the failing cam, you will notice that the
color at the edge of the cam lobe is lighter than the rest of the surface.
This is because the width of the cam lobe is wider than the rocker arm pad
in the Nissan KA24E engine; the edge of the cam lobe does not make contact
with the rocker arm pad and is thus unworn.

The wear patterns on the surface of the passing cam lobe is merely light
scuffing. It looks more severe than the actual failing cam lobe, because it
lacks color uniformity.

Ed

Your initial reaction mirrored the one most on here had when buster first posted the pictures on this board.

Originally Posted By: Artem
User testimonials mean diddly squat when it comes to oils and performance.

I've said this before and i'll say it again.

New oil > Old oil

New oil performs better then old dirty oil.

You can dump a high quality synthetic oil after 10,000 miles and pour in the cheapest dinosaur juice you can find and you'll FEEL a difference in performance.

I personally wouldn't want on oil polishing up and scrubbing the heck out of my engine's internal parts to "smooth" them out or what not.
Thats how stuff starts rattling and going bad.

Most everything you said in your post is not what I have experienced over many years.

It just amazes me. Im not starting an arguement, here, but here is a pic of my "race" cams off my evo with 40K on the clock while using M1 EP 10/30

Evo Cam

My cams look nothing like those cams. That is the thing. Did those ugly pics come off a car with 1000 lb spring rates or what? I am just curious because I have never seen anything like that on an evo cam before.

So if Royal Purple "mirco polishes" then iin essense it should "smooth" out inperfections in an engine using a different oil?

Does ONLY Royal Purple protect parts like this? or does Redline and Amsoil do as well?

Very confused here.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
It just amazes me. Im not starting an arguement, here, but here is a pic of my "race" cams off my evo with 40K on the clock while using M1 EP 10/30

Evo Cam

My cams look nothing like those cams. That is the thing. Did those ugly pics come off a car with 1000 lb spring rates or what? I am just curious because I have never seen anything like that on an evo cam before.

So if Royal Purple "mirco polishes" then iin essense it should "smooth" out inperfections in an engine using a different oil?

Does ONLY Royal Purple protect parts like this? or does Redline and Amsoil do as well?

Very confused here.
confused.gif

The Modular cams? If so, the 2nd set of cams (the Mobil 1 ones) may actually have LESS wear if you look at the pictures I posted and the link Ben99GT posted.

Modulars run light spring pressure. What you see as "grey" on those cams may be the virgin cam material with the "wear tracks" in the middle being the only spots with very LIGHT wear from where the roller contacts the lobe.

I'd rather have my cam lobes virgin than "micro polished", but that's just me....

This is something I scanned out of a RP Brochure. I mean, if this shizzle is that good why are we ALL not using it?

Royal Purple Brochure Page

Well, maybe I will be switching back to RP XPR 5/30 then. I did use XPR 10/40 breifly while running WMI. But made my lifters tick like a time bomb. Hated the oil just for that reason. But if it does this?? (see link) then why are we not ALL using this stuff? I know the XPR series has double the synerlec stuff in it. So synerlec does this to metal?

This is something I scanned out of a RP Brochure. I mean, if this shizzle is that good why are we ALL not using it?

Well, maybe I will be switching back to RP XPR 5/30 then. I did use XPR 10/40 breifly while running WMI. But made my lifters tick like a time bomb. Hated the oil just for that reason. But if it does this?? (see link) then why are we not ALL using this stuff? I know the XPR series has double the synerlec stuff in it. So synerlec does this to metal?

Just mix some Mothers Aluminum Polish in with your next OCI and micro-polish away! (nobody take this seriously please).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: deven
From the same thread, this is a picture of the OP's friends cam using Mobil 1 5w20 at 1/2 the mileage of his own car. Sometimes pictures just don't lie and are truly worth a 1000 words.
PDRM1883.jpg

And that cam may actually have LESS wear on it.

Buster posted the pics for the pass/fail for the cam wear test (by the API IIRC) and the cam that was "highly polished" was actually the fail, whilst the one that looked more "grey" was the pass.

I understand what you are saying and Buster did a great job of explaining this in the other RP thread. Obviously RP is passing these SEQ IVA tests and it is API certified(street oils). In that linked thread posted in this one, the OP actually uses a micrometer and it showed more wear in the cams that didn't use RP.
The point I am trying to make is not more so that RP cams looked better and thus a better oil but that of what RP claims in the brochure or ads about micropolishing are true and that they are not making these things up as they go along. For a small company RP does put a lot of money into R&D and hence their oils cost more since unfortunately they pass these cost to their customers. I honestly can say that I believe in every claim RP makes even the controversial increased HP claims. I am also aware of the lawsuit that RP lost but that is for another thread. Maybe I am a fool and I part with my money faster but I am okay with that.

Last edited:
From the same thread, this is a picture of the OP's friends cam using Mobil 1 5w20 at 1/2 the mileage of his own car. Sometimes pictures just don't lie and are truly worth a 1000 words.
PDRM1883.jpg

And that cam may actually have LESS wear on it.

Buster posted the pics for the pass/fail for the cam wear test (by the API IIRC) and the cam that was "highly polished" was actually the fail, whilst the one that looked more "grey" was the pass.

I understand what you are saying and Buster did a great job of explaining this in the other RP thread. Obviously RP is passing these SEQ IVA tests and it is API certified(street oils). In that linked thread posted in this one, the OP actually uses a micrometer and it showed more wear in the cams that didn't use RP.
The point I am trying to make is not more so that RP cams looked better and thus a better oil but that of what RP claims in the brochure or ads about micropolishing are true and that they are not making these things up as they go along. For a small company RP does put a lot of money into R&D and hence their oils cost more since unfortunately they pass these cost to their customers. I honestly can say that I believe in every claim RP makes even the controversial increased HP claims. I am also aware of the lawsuit that RP lost but that is for another thread. Maybe I am a fool and I part with my money faster but I am okay with that.

I remember the thread, and also remember mentioning that both cams would have had to be mic'd before and after for the results to be comparable
wink.gif

I'm not saying it is a bad oil. Just pointing out that those pictures "telling a tale" is purely speculation, particularly given the Sequence VIA data and the lack of before and after measurements. It makes any conclusions beyond "whoa, that one is shinier!" baseless.

Yep, you need to get the mikes out to tell for sure. Looks are but one indicator and not always a reliable one.

many ford engines look like that at 100,000. My ranger looks like that at 125k. I say engine design...what car/truck was it off of?

Yes, it is the synerlec doing this, not the moly.

Synerlec is speculated to be a phosphate ester, like Tricresyl Phosphate (TCP) or TAP. I think this is also why RP objects to meeting SM/SN requirements as this would make it impossible to use this and maintain the level of ZDDP they like to use for maximum protection in their formulation and meet the reduced phosphorous that SM/SN requires.

TCP is what is in MMO and it is also known for micro polishing metal finishes and reducing wear.

Last edited:
Well, the only RP oil I would even Consider using at this point in time would be the 5/30 XPR. Maybe its good, maybe its not, but at $15 per qt roughly (including shipping) it just seems that Redline 5/30 or Amsoil Dominator 10/30 aka RD30 may just be a better choice for the money. Not that I am cheap with oil that goes into my car. I was running RP XPR 10/40 while running methanol injection in my car, but don't use the meth/water anymore, so I don't use the RP XPR 10/40 anymore. I was paying $15 per qt for the last few years so its not a big deal. I just think its not "better" than Redline 5/30 or the RD30 from Amsoil of which you can buy both for less money than the RP XPR 5/30.

Decisions, Decisions.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
im not so sure RP target market is standard pass cars

I agree. RP is for the enthusiast or gear head, just like all the other top shelf oils. The thing is, in racing, you never see a RP decal on any Pro sponsored car. I see RP decals on PRO-AM cars but no Pro. So for an oil that is supposed to be supported by raceres, for racers...they just don't have the funds or possibly the oil to hold up for Top Fuel Dragsters or something.

I think RP off the shelf is a great alternitive to the other synthetics. It seems at least RP street oil is PAO based unliked all the hydrocracked stuff that says "synthetic" on the bottle. But thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
$15/qt? You can get some really good oils with known properties for that money, like Torco SR5, Motul 300V, etc.

Originally Posted By: dparm
$15/qt? You can get some really good oils with known properties for that money, like Torco SR5, Motul 300V, etc.

Exactly!! I am trying out Redline for the first time. IMO $ for $ for what you get, I think its hard to beat. BUT, I have never used it, so I will see how my car likes it. We will see. It just depends on your application. My car meets the "race" application even though its a street car. So even though I can use a "street" oil, It would be in my car's best interest to use somthing that is above average quality. But thats just me.

After running Motul 300V as my last OCI I'm fairly convinced I was stuck in the mode of "OMG I WANT THE BEST OIL" rather than "what's the best oil for my car & application".

Be sure to keep us updated with a UOA.

Originally Posted By: dparm
After running Motul 300V as my last OCI I'm fairly convinced I was stuck in the mode of "OMG I WANT THE BEST OIL" rather than "what's the best oil for my car & application".

Be sure to keep us updated with a UOA.

Will Do
thumbsup2.gif
I am going to start off with a VOA though to use as a baseline.

Evo Cam

Very confused here.
confused.gif

The Modular cams? If so, the 2nd set of cams (the Mobil 1 ones) may actually have LESS wear if you look at the pictures I posted and the link Ben99GT posted.

Modulars run light spring pressure. What you see as "grey" on those cams may be the virgin cam material with the "wear tracks" in the middle being the only spots with very LIGHT wear from where the roller contacts the lobe.

I'd rather have my cam lobes virgin than "micro polished", but that's just me....

I am not sure what Cams you are Referring too, but the M1 cams on the car with less miles did have considerable wear, I took them to a shop and had them MIC'ed the RP Cams with twice the milage had NO wear at all. We tested Brand new stock cams and the Micrometer reveiled ZERO. yet the M1 cams had a noticable "groove" where the followers touched the lobes on the cam.

I have replaced the heads on my 2005 Mustang because I installed a Comp 127300 Cams and Beehive Springs. I lightly ported and polished the heads (cleaned up). My car has 95,000 miles today and I am still hitting the track. No compression loss, no wear, and still run RP. I sold the Comp 127200 cams and the guy thought they were new. even the bearing guides were unmarked and like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back