How long will a thin doughnut spare be safe to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, guys. How many years do you think the thin doughnut spare tire that many cars now come with will still be safe to use? For its intended use, of course, as a temporary tire till the flat tire gets fixed.

To get you to the next point to get the normal tire repaired or replaced.

I'd NOT try to see how long they work. Seen PLENTY of them fail and cause accidents.

Bill

If its not used (I read the reply more than the OP.. Oops!
06.gif
) then I'd say a long time.

I've seen the one in our 99 Taurus last year and it was like new.

Bill,
I don't think that you can determine the condition of a tire by its exterior appearance alone.
Tire do age out as much as they wear out.
Now, for its intended purpose, a donut should be okay for the life of the car.
I'm not even aware of where you'd find a replacement.
I would not mount an old compact spare and then expect hundreds of miles of interstate driving out of it.
I would mount one to drive home on locally at moderate speeds, though.

Agree on exterior but if its cracked on the outside I'd not think it would be as safe as one without the cracks.

I use my compact spares to rotate tires. Other than that I've been VERY lucky not to use them.

I've witnessed hundreds of failures with dozens of accidents due to these spares. Most of them are because people keep driving on them too long at too high of speeds.

Bill

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Just curious, guys. How many years do you think the thin doughnut spare tire that many cars now come with will still be safe to use? ...

10 years is the limit, based on what I have read at various tire industry websites.

Well, I know that I had a new Michelin XZX mounted that had sat in my garage for ~15 years.
The tire looked fine inside and out.
It developed belt failure after about 5K miles of use.
Just an example of a tire looking fine but not being fine.

The full size spare in my E430 is 12 years old but looks brand new and it was never used.

I'm not sure if it is safe to use as a spare for short distance(20-30 miles) at speed no more than 65-70 MPH ?

I don't like the idea of throwing a perfectly looking full size spare tire to buy a new spare (plus installation and balance) and never use it. I could not use the full size spare in the 5-tires rotation because the wheel is not the same design as with other 4 wheels.

The OE full size spare tire of the 18 years old LS400 had been used 2-3 times at less than 100 miles total. The last use was 5-6 years ago. It has little dirt on the tread, but sidewalls are pretty clean and like new.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
OP, you meant years prior to needing to be replaced, right?

Yes, I meant how many years before I can't trust it anymore. Of course, on the assumption that the spare has been used only, well, sparingly!

Last edited:
Minispares are not made out of anything different than regular tires are - with a couple of exceptions that don't apply to this thread.

As a consequence, minispares should be treated just like regular tires when it comes to age - except: Many spares are housed in areas where the sunlight generates elevated interior temperatures, which accelerates the aging process.

I work in a tire shop and see quite a few compact spare tires. The tires themselves seem to hold up very well. The spare tire wells on most vehicles are not especially hot places and guard a spare tire from the elements pretty well so there is not a whole lot of dry rot taking place, etc. The biggest problem I have seen with compact spares is that people generally NEVER check the inflation pressure of them causing most of them to be significantly under inflated. Its a rare occurance when i see one come in the shop that actually has the recommended 60psi of most spares. More often your lucky to see them have more than 20psi. That being said, in cases where ive seen failed spare tires its mostly just the tire being knocked off the bead as a result of low pressure or a blown valve stem which are easy to change

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
AI use my compact spares to rotate tires.
Bill

Can you explain this? Do you do this because you do not have extra jack stands or do not want to use them?

When you're riding on the compact spare your alignment on your other three wheels is off. By how much, we don't know, but you're damaging your other tires at an accellerated rate. If your spare is on a drive axle you can also mess up your differential.

That said I cruised around for a week on a 20 year old donut spare from my volvo. I *did* check its PSI and get it up to 60 the week before.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
AI use my compact spares to rotate tires.
Bill

Can you explain this? Do you do this because you do not have extra jack stands or do not want to use them?

Much easier to use the spare (if its easy to get to) than jack all over the place. In 2 of my vehicles I don't because they provide jack points that allow a single jack to lift either end with ease.

Its usually inside the vehicle so I would guess 10-12 years in that case. In my opinion most of the failures are also due to them being tucked away unseen. Most of the vehicles I see rolling on a donut are also running it about 30-40psi under inflated.

I'm going to have to agree with you. I work at a service station and most spare tires have around 10 PSI.
Originally Posted By: pakstl
I work in a tire shop and see quite a few compact spare tires. The tires themselves seem to hold up very well. The spare tire wells on most vehicles are not especially hot places and guard a spare tire from the elements pretty well so there is not a whole lot of dry rot taking place, etc. The biggest problem I have seen with compact spares is that people generally NEVER check the inflation pressure of them causing most of them to be significantly under inflated. Its a rare occurance when i see one come in the shop that actually has the recommended 60psi of most spares. More often your lucky to see them have more than 20psi. That being said, in cases where ive seen failed spare tires its mostly just the tire being knocked off the bead as a result of low pressure or a blown valve stem which are easy to change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back