Best struts for 1996 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's official...the clunking noise I'm hearing in the rear of my Accord is a bad strut (this after replacing the mounts which I THOUGHT was the problem). I have a set of Sachs struts back there but can't be sure. The online company I ordered them from was less than reliable and one of the struts was delivered fully extended and poking through the box (might be the bad one). The Sachs struts I installed on the front of the car (different supplier) are great...no problems. These rear struts have less than 30,000 miles on them. I don't want to spend a ton of money on replacements but drive the car a LOT (really love this old car...). I was looking at Sensens which are cheap and get good reviews (Chinese-made but reliable...reviews say they're rough riding), Koni orange OEM or the new Bilstein OEM type. I'm leary of "no name" struts and haven't had very good luck with Monroe or Gabriel. I appreciate any input or experience.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend...
21.gif

don't bother with US-made KYBs for I have nothing but bad experiences with them so far (3 vehicles, all spanned between 1991 (323) to Accords to 7th gen civics: all failed sooner than the Japanese built KYBs (yes, I did some client's Nissan, Toy, etc. with Jpn built KYBs).

Monroes are seriously good buy in your case (any Jpn vehicles over 10+yrs old), either OE spectrum or Sensatrac would do fine.

Q.

KYB GR2 (now called Excel G) and Tokico Blue (HP or something) are great for the price. Most people I know says they last a bit longer than the Monroe.

Originally Posted By: Quest

Monroes are seriously good buy in your case (any Jpn vehicles over 10+yrs old), either OE spectrum or Sensatrac would do fine.

Q.

OESpectrum and Monroe Sensatrac are the same thing per tech support.

The OEM struts are pretty good too; I still have the original struts and shocks on my 97 Accord with 148K miles. I just changed the struts on my 2004 Odyssey with OEM parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back