Toyota 4.7 V8...Who's using what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, I searched around this site quite a bit (I'm sure you've heard that before..lol) and couldn't seem to find a thread on what guys are using in their Toyota 4.7 V8 motors.
I've been using Mobil 1 10w30 and Valvoline SynPower 10w30 (been using the Valvoline for the past 80k...she's got a total of 135k so far...)
I'm a pretty mellow driver and am just looking for opinions/ideas on how to turn this truck into a mileage dispenser (would love to see 300-350k!!) What are your thoughts...? Also, any other maintenance suggestions would be great as well.

M1 and Toyota engines seem to be a good match.
For 3-400k miles stay on top of the fluids, filters and the Pcv system. You are in a good environmemt to survive rust damage and that seems to detour more cars from ultra hi miles than service regimen.

M1 5W-30 EP seems good in these engines for 12-15K. A few UOA's posted show this.

I am running it in my friends 2002 Tundra V8; pour in in October, no worries until April, May.

Last edited:
I think engine quality/design is more important than what oil we run in our cars. This engine is one of toyotas best creations. Having said that, this engine will run on pretty much anything, as it does not seem to be hard on oil at all. My 04 Sequoia has seen a steady diet of Mobil 1 0w-30. I did run Redline 5W-30 one time and it kept the engine the quietist, especially at cold start-up. Just to much money to keep running Redline in it, but it seems to run great on Mobil 1 0w-30.

I run a jug of M1 0W-30 and add whatever I have in quarts. And that is usually GC or Redline 10W-30. Last LX I had was trouble free up to 327k when I had to replace starter contacts.

I'm using Schaeffer syn blend at 10k ODI with OEM filters, and the analyses are excellent. As well said above, any good oil and 5k odi works great.

Have the maintenance jobs been done on time?---timing belt, valve adjustment, coolant change? Never tow a moderate to heavy load in overdrive on the 2000-2002? Differential gear oil changed every once in a while? Brake fluid & power steering fluid changed every few years? (I had a great argument with a Toyota service writer a few years back...He was claiming that Toyota never produced an interference engine with a timing belt. I told him the section and page of the maintenance manual that described the 4.7 as an interference engine!)

You can run whatever you want. Toyota engine are super great.

I been running castrol gtx and chevron supreme on my 2006 camry v6. 244,000 miles. Engine still have lots of power. Its very reliable.

good luck.

I ran Pennzoil YB for years lately been running Quacker State 5w30 all Dino. Im my 2006 Sequoia I am still a 3 month 3000 mile guy. Just hit 90,000 I plan on getting the timning belt done in March..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back