difference in craftsman torque wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Stay away from Craftsman torque wrenches; they are NOT warrantied.

sure is. my old 3/8 with a bend gauge on it, got bent(the gauge part) and they gave me a new one. not that I tried to take in my Craftsman one that clicks, but if I thought it was bad I would buy a new one, rather than paying someone to calibrate it.

Originally Posted By: PaulH

sure is. my old 3/8 with a bend gauge on it, got bent(the gauge part) and they gave me a new one. not that I tried to take in my Craftsman one that clicks, but if I thought it was bad I would buy a new one, rather than paying someone to calibrate it.

After reading the next reply below, I realize now why I was unable to swap mine. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

No brand of click torque wrench has a lifetime warranty. They all have one year, or similar. The beam Craftsman torque wrenches do have a lifetime warranty.

To the OP,

I believe the new "micro-clicker" wrenches are imported, while the microtork are USA made, but you'll have to go to the store and check to be sure.

I have a USA made Microtork that is about 10 years old. Many people complain about the locking collar breaking, but mine hasn't had that problem.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the Precision Instrument split beam torque wrench. The PI wrenches are rebraded for Snap-On and are very nice.

Last edited:
my friend had some of that brand tested at a certification shop, they told to take them back they was not certifiably . they would not give the same number over and over.

I was just at Sears a few minutes ago. The new torque wrenches are made in China.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I was just at Sears a few minutes ago. The new torque wrenches are made in China.

Of course they are, but the price is right for the typical Sears shopper. If I was to mention a CDI or Precision
Instruments to the OP, he'd probably get sticker shock. Nevermind the fact that quality usually costs money.

Yes, the same flannel shirt rednecks who fume about jobs gone away are salivating over cheap HF stuff..

My Craftsmen Tq wrench has a lifetime warranty on it. They rebuilt it last year for me when it finally gave up. It is a click type and was made in the 1960's. The Snap On tool truck guy tested it for me on his tq wrench tested and said it was pretty much right on.

If that's the case, save the $$ and buy the Pittsburgh wrenches at Harbor Freight.

I just went to Sears last night to see where the tools are being made. Many are still marked USA but many are saying China and few say Tawian. The lower end "raised Craftsmen" ratchets are marked China except the smaller one still says USA on it. All of the nicer ratchets say USA made on them....every single one.

I have a few of the Craftsman ones as well as a drawer in my toolbox full of the MATCO ones. The Craftsman ones get used for fasteners that need to be torqued but are not as mission critical as lets say a head stud or a main stud on a $15k longblock.

i bought 2 of them, the one with the red grips are a new design. they are indeed made from china. oh well, if it breaks..i will get a new one.

they work pretty well.......how accurate are they? dont know

Last edited:
I had a Craftsman that just quit working right. I also have the HF one - and use it for certain jobs.

I just ordered the 25-250 ft-lb version of the following to replace my Craftsman. The 10-150 ft-lb would work most of the time for me, but I wanted the longer lever arm of the heavier wrench.

http://www.tooltopia.com/mountain-16150.aspx

The wrench is very favorably reviewed on multiple sites.

Just bought a new digital from eastwood. It has a feature to allow angle torque. Love it. Now I have 2 from sears that makes a great breaker bar/weapon.

No brand of click torque wrench has a lifetime warranty. They all have one year, or similar. The beam Craftsman torque wrenches do have a lifetime warranty.

I was told by a guy at the Sears store that their lifetime warranty ONLY applies to tools with no moving parts. He looked it up while I was there.

I understand that Sears Microtorks are made by Danaher. My Microtork says "Made in USA" on it.

I pulled apart a Microtork once, just to see how it worked.
Here's the page:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/torque_wrench/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back