Craftsman Yard Vacuum - 6.5hp Briggs motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a 3-4 year old self-propelled Craftsman 4-1 Yard Vacuum with a 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It was gently used, maybe three times (total) by my Father and its basically brand new. The oil fill is the original.

I'd like to change the oil and want to use a synthetic. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Any of those will work fine. BUT as it's getting cold where you are now, the multigrade oil would be the better choice.

Those are good for picking up leaves, if you don't have to empty the bag very often.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
I just received a 3-4 year old self-propelled Craftsman 4-1 Yard Vacuum with a 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It was gently used, maybe three times (total) by my Father and its basically brand new. The oil fill is the original.

I'd like to change the oil and want to use a synthetic. Any suggestions?

Amsoil ASE is a good reasonably price synthetic for small engines, and I have had good luck with it

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil 4-Stroke oil. Its made for OPE.

Sorry for the late reply, I totally forgot I made this thread...lol.

I ended up going with Amsoil's small engine 10/30 full syn. They sell it at the local lawnmower shop for ~$8/qt.

I ended up going with Amsoil's small engine 10/30 full syn. They sell it at the local lawnmower shop for ~$8/qt.

This is some good stuff!

Originally Posted By: troyb43

This is some good stuff!

Don't know how $8.00/qt can possibly be translated into "reasonably priced"? It's not.

Suitable oil can be had for two bucks a quart or less when on sale. Excellent quality oil can be had anywhere for four dollar a quart. For $12.00 you could buy a gallon of Rotella and have enough oil on hand for the next five or six oil changes.

Don't forget that you're lubricating a lawn mower not a Lambborghini.

ASE can be had for $6 qt. If someone wants to use a couple quarts in their OPE they should not be talked out of it. People can choose top notch synthetic oils if they want to.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
ASE can be had for $6 qt. If someone wants to use a couple quarts in their OPE they should not be talked out of it. People can choose top notch synthetic oils if they want to.

True.

However, looking at if from my perspective, people should be aware that excellent, more than suitable oil can be had for a fraction of the price and not talked into buying considerably more expensive oil when it's absolutely unnecessary.

Tell us Pablo, when you go out to buy a Honda Civic, do you come home with a Lamborghini?

Originally Posted By: boraticus

True.

However, looking at if from my perspective, people should be aware that excellent, more than suitable oil can be had for a fraction of the price and not talked into buying considerably more expensive oil when it's absolutely unnecessary.

So are you saying we shouldn't have freewill when wanting to maintain ones equipment?

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat

True.

So are you saying we shouldn't have freewill when wanting to maintain ones equipment?

Ahhhh, don't know how you came to that conclusion from the foregoing discussion?

By all means we should have free will to buy what we want.

However, free will does not force one to buy a more expensive product unnecessarily now does it?

That's why forums can be so beneficial to those who want unbiased information.

I have nothing to gain whatsoever from promoting a particular brand of oil whereas, others obviously do. In most situations, an unbiased recommendation should be valued more than a recommendation from someone who has the opportunity of personal gain. Right?

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat

True.

I have nothing to gain whatsoever from promoting a particular brand of oil

Neither do I, it just seemed you came off as totally against the use of synthetic in OPE regardless of cost. Around here everday price of any motor oil is sitting around $3.69/qt. So stepping up to a better fluid from any brand might seem like a better option.

Around here, Amsoil is $14.00 per liter. FOURTEEN BUCKS!!!

I can get a gallon of Rotella for two bucks less than that.

That's pretty much a no-brainer.

I wouldn't pay $14 per qt either. That does seem a bit crazy - but even if someone else wanted to, I wouldn't throw up an objection in the holy name of saving them money.

Around here, Amsoil is $14.00 per liter. FOURTEEN BUCKS!!!

I can get a gallon of Rotella for two bucks less than that.

That's pretty much a no-brainer.

Yea for those prices I would definitely stick with any of the Rotella line. Those prices are insane, sorry to hear.

I wouldn't pay $14 per qt either. That does seem a bit crazy - but even if someone else wanted to, I wouldn't throw up an objection in the holy name of saving them money.

OK Pablo, let's make a deal.

Considering that you seem to have no issues encouraging others to spend the big bucks your product, let's turn this around a bit.

I'll buy your product and pay the first $4.00 per litre. You pick up the next ten. You good with that?

OK Pablo, let's make a deal.

Considering that you seem to have no issues encouraging others to spend their money on your product, let's turn this around a bit.

I'll buy your product and pay the first $4.00 per litre. You pick up the next ten. You good with that?

Do you have a point?

The market sets the price. If you don't like it, move on. I don't see why you struggle with the concept so much. Yes, I sell the product, I don't think I've been to sneaky about that, have I? Why the reminder from you? Is it your way of prodding me. I am a site sponsor, I have an Amsoil avatar.

Again, you are 100% free to post what you want within the rules of this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back