Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF in VW 09A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm helping a friend with a recent beater purchase, a 2002 VW Jetta VR6 Auto. It has a solenoid issue, so I will be dropping the pan to replace that this week.

Now for the new fluid, Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF fluid states it is compatible with G052 990, but does anyone know if it's ok to just drain and fill with this? Therefore leaving a bit of the old fluid in the transmission?

Who knows what was in there before, the car has 240k miles with little history known. There was a bottle of Pentosin ATF1 in the trunk when we bought it..

Last edited:
Do you mean the 01M automatic? Those were infamously bad, and I highly recommend googling the term "01M transmission" to see what he's up against. If he expects much out of the vehicle, I'd say sell it now. If he bought it knowing it likely won't last long, and is looking to squeeze out what he can before it dies, then I would do a drain and fill at least three times to refresh the fluid and buy some time.

Later Mark IV Jettas/Golfs used the Jatco 5-speed auto, which is infinitely better than the earlier 01M 4-speed auto.

Hi,
spave16 - If the Castrol ATF meets the specification required it will do a great job. At one point Castrol made some of the very best transmission fluids - I've used them for over 50 years! Many were developed in Germany!!

It is always wise to drain the torque converter if so equipped!

It's the jatco 09A.. I'm just wondering on the actual compatibility of fluids with eachother, as I understand that the castrol fluid is compatible with the transmission..

Last edited:
I curious as to if this fluid performs well in a 2004 Nissan Xterra.
My wife's Daily Driver is coming up on 25,000 miles since its last transmission service and I plan on doing a couple drain and fills. 72,000 miles right now, need to start shopping for what fluids to use.
I got the transmission serviced by a local transmission shop I trust when it hit 50,000 miles.

The manual says it is acceptable to use DexIII fluid. However just about every fluid falls under that umbrella.

Right now Castrol is being carried by my Walmart and they have Dex/Merc and Multi Vehicle in stock. Thinking about picking up a bunch of the Multi Vehicle as it is also Mercon V approved and seems to be better than some others out there.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I curious as to if this fluid performs well in a 2004 Nissan Xterra.
My wife's Daily Driver is coming up on 25,000 miles since its last transmission service and I plan on doing a couple drain and fills. 72,000 miles right now, need to start shopping for what fluids to use.
I got the transmission serviced by a local transmission shop I trust when it hit 50,000 miles.

The manual says it is acceptable to use DexIII fluid. However just about every fluid falls under that umbrella.

Right now Castrol is being carried by my Walmart and they have Dex/Merc and Multi Vehicle in stock. Thinking about picking up a bunch of the Multi Vehicle as it is also Mercon V approved and seems to be better than some others out there.

Dave,
If it's any consolation, I have been using Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle(IMV ATF) in my '04 Altima 2.5 that requires Matic-D(or DexronIII) and have had good succuss. Castrol has Import Multi-Vehicle and Domestic Multi-Vehicle. Which Multi-Vehicle were you considering?

Last edited:
I also want to add that Castrol has a wide variety of ATF's in their collection...DexIII/Merc, Dexron VI, Mercon V, IMV, DMV, ATF-4. I have read the back label(s) on some of the different bottles and it seems as though some auto trannys can use a couple of them.

If you think about it, my Nissan can use DexIII/Merc, IMV, DMV. And who knows...Maybe even Mercon V !

Which one would be optimum, who knows?

Last edited:
Thinking about the Import Multi Vehicle as that is what I have access to and that it seems to fill all the Nissan criteria.

From what I am finding online it should be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back