Lubing outside door handle pulls - lithium grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The external door pulls on one of my cars is more dry than others I've seen. It may be normal but it seems like they catch a little when I pull them open and I'm used to seeing some lube in there. On my wife's car, it looks like there's some residue from white lithium grease in there.

Is it pretty normal to have to spray lube in where the handle comes out of the door? Is lithium grease a good product here?

Chances are if you see traces of white crust there it is dried out lithium grease...I would just re-apply if you can find it Dupont Lithium Grease with teflon is what I would get, the stuff is high quality and the teflon seems to increase the lubricity of the lithium grease. I use it and highly recommend it over the plain lithium grease.

I've got a can of Liquid Wrench brand white lithium grease that I used to use on my last car to lube the sunroof tracks, I was just going to use that. I don't think it has any teflon or anything in it.

The left over "residue" I see in my wife's car does look exactly like lithium grease. I just wanted to check if this is pretty normal or if there could be a reason there's nothing in there from the factory.

Any white grease will do.

Also other grease points are usually the door latch catch area and door check rods.

While you are at it you might want to spray some silicone spray into the door lock cylinders if your car has them .

Great, maybe I'll do this tonight then.

Something for the door lock cylinder is a good idea, too. I was under the impression that graphite powder was what you'd want to use in those, though. I should probably also try to use it from time to time so it doesn't bind up from sitting still!

Originally Posted By: rationull
Great, maybe I'll do this tonight then.

Something for the door lock cylinder is a good idea, too. I was under the impression that graphite powder was what you'd want to use in those, though. I should probably also try to use it from time to time so it doesn't bind up from sitting still!

Exactly, you only want to use graphite powder on locks. Liquids will gum up.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

I've used liquid graphite and had no gumming problems at all.

Applying grease gets the outside greased - usually useless.
It is the internals that really need it, though. Use a spray oil, unless you have the luxury of assembling the parts from scratch.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

I've used liquid graphite and had no gumming problems at all.

CAUTION! Using graphite in power lock cylinders COULD possibly cause an electrical short...

also NEVER EVER use graphite lube in the ignition key cylinder, it will short!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back