Ford WSS-M2C930-A Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm looking into information about the the oil Ford has spec'ed for a 2011 F150, 5.0L V8. It's a 5w20, and any oil used (to keep warranty) is suppose to have an API Certification (starburst) and meet/exceed Ford-WSS-M2C930-A specs.

Doing some research on my own, I've found Mobil 1 (synthetic) meets this criteria, as well as Castrol Syntec.

Anybody else know oils that meet this spec? Convential or Synthetic. I'm planning on doing 8000-10000km oil change intervals on the truck because of the work it's being used for.

Pretty much all the 5w-20 oil you find (including non-synthetic) on the shelves of auto parts stores meet this specification. It's to the point where 5w-20 and the Ford-WSS-M2C930-A spec are synonymous. I believe this spec has been the requirement of most Fords (Modular V8s anyway) since 2001.

Last edited:
I was mostly digging through store shelves, and some oils (like PP) meets Ford 945-A spec....not the 930-A Spec...

Maybe a weird batch?

For example, PYB meets 945/946 spec, but not 930-A.
PP - 945/946 specs
Amsoil OE 5w20 - Meets 930-A Spec; Amsoil XL 5w20 does
Petro-Canada 5w20 (conv and syn) meets 945

See my issue here? It seems that most oils meet a 945/946 spec, but not the 930....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I believe a standard spec on all name brand 5w-20 oils
WSS-M2C930-A

WSS-M2C945-A is the new Ford spec for 5w-20

Do you know when Ford starting speccing the 945-A? My owner's manual from Sept, 2011 (4th printing) still shows 930-A as the proper spec....

Originally Posted By: volk06
945 superceeds 930 starting 2012. 945 replaces 930, if it needs 930 use 945 with no worries.

Do you have something I can use to cite this? Or should I be talking to my Ford dealer about getting a letter that shows this change?

I'm a big fan of paperwork to justify decisions/cover my rear end in case something does happen....

Originally Posted By: Craddosk
Originally Posted By: volk06
945 superceeds 930 starting 2012. 945 replaces 930, if it needs 930 use 945 with no worries.

Do you have something I can use to cite this? Or should I be talking to my Ford dealer about getting a letter that shows this change?

I'm a big fan of paperwork to justify decisions/cover my rear end in case something does happen....

I posted the Motorcraft link which shows what is their latest 5W-20 oil and spec number. I don't understand what is missing here. Ford has changed from previous oil spec WSS-M2C930-A to a new oil spec WSS-M2C945-A. Simple as that.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I think the OP is concerned that if he uses an oil rated for 945 and his owner's manual specs 930 that he might have warranty issues.

That's exactly it. I know that the 945 stuff will do just fine, the problem is, should a engine lubrication related problem show up (under warranty), I don't want to be left high and dry. And unfortunately, Motocraft developing a GF-5 oil that shows 945 spec won't hold up, as I've never even seen Motorcraft oil in Canada.

Guess I should call/visit the dealer then, see what I can stir up.

Thanks for all the help!

If you follow the Motorcraft link above, there is a Quick Reference tab that leads you to the oil chart linked below. Since Ford says that 945 spec oil is good for the F150 ('11&'12), you should be just fine. Just print screen the spec pages and save this linked pdf file...It won't be a big deal.

FordOilChart

I just checked my 5.1 qt jug of Castrol GTX 5W20 (SN rated) that I purchased on Black Friday ($5 at Pep-Boys, after rebate) and it lists both the 930 AND the 945 spec.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I think the OP is concerned that if he uses an oil rated for 945 and his owner's manual specs 930 that he might have warranty issues.

The simple fact is Ford upgraded it's 5w-20 spec when the new SN/GF5 oil came out. Again, what is so hard to figure out? The new spec supercedes the previous spec. That is how it works. Nothing more, nothing less. Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back