Why do people buy expensive coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
As for Starbucks, I hardly ever buy anything other than plain ol' coffee there.

Coffee taste is subjective of course. But (to me) Starbucks is over roasted garbage.

In general I can not appreciate a good wine, whiskey, or Scotch. But I have (I think) a pretty good feel for really good coffee.

I personally like Iced Coffee without Ice ..drink it at room temperature. You can sip on it for 2 hours and oxidation doesn't cut into its flavor.. If its done right it can't be beat.

I also prefer just a bit of cream and a bit of Splenda in it.

I personally like a mocha java coffee beans in it.

Last edited:
I prefer Tanzanian Peaberry, stuff is awesome & it'll be in season starting in January!!!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Originally Posted By: crinkles
It was $12 for a baggie of half a pound...

Sorry, but lol

But i bet my overall costs are low... Plus it helps out a farm where disabled people work, so sorry...

One thing I cannot stand is coffee in a paper cup. It totally ruins it for me, I can taste the woody/paperish taste in an instant. That's my #1 gripe about Starbucks, when I can stay in the store and drink it out of a ceramic cup I'm fine. But "to go" is nasty.

I can even taste it when the stir stick used was a wooden one.

Folgers with a little splash of milk or cream is my daily morning routine first thing. I also don't mind black coffee.

I don't see what the craze is with Keurig and these "k-cups"...too expensive in my opinion.

I laugh to myself whenever I hear people complain that they are always broke yet they run to Starbucks twice a day for $5 coffees.

Normally I'm a Folgers Breakfast Blend kinda guy, but oilBabe gave me some StarBucks Christmas Blend in one of those single pot sampler bags and I really liked it. I don't normally do StarBucks coffee, but this one was not an over burnt bean. Good rich flavor, not bitter.

It really got my attention.

I may pick up a bag or two because I liked it that much.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Originally Posted By: crinkles
It was $12 for a baggie of half a pound...

Sorry, but lol

Bear in mind that everything's expensive down here...home branded Woolworths select is $6 for 250g, everything brand name is $8 for 200g...100g of Nescafe Gold "Dark" roast instant is nearly $8.

Heck, try searching here...Aldi Oz.

http://www.smartershopping.com.au/browse.aspx

Maybe your friend does not care about expense..so he does what he wants...as with most coffee lovers, each has their own likes and habits to develop their own palette ...I like to add salt to my coffee; if it a light to medium roast...if a dark roast..i will not add any...I prefer to grind my own beans;and i will pay the extra money to buy highland coffee....brewing with filtered water..and a french press..if i do add any thing ; it is real cream..and/or cane sugar...no powdered chemical flavors

At best cheap coffee will only taste like coffee. The good stuff (not necessarily expensive but never cheap) will have much more to offer flavor-wise.

Click on either image to get the expanded version. http://www.sweetmarias.com/tastewheel.html

EDIT: If all you want from your coffee is for it to taste like coffee then have at it. I'm just trying to take a straightforward stab at answering the question. Coffee isn't worth a religious war.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back