generator engine subaru ex40

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been looking to go a litter bigger on a generator for my house. i currently have ( for 13 years) a craftsman 4200 watt made by generac. i have a transfer switch wired to my garage so it is pretty simple deal to plug in when needed. i was looking at home depot ridgid generator (8000 watt)with a subaru ex40 engine. i just talked myself into it would be alright that it does not have a oil filter on the engine but now i just looked at what type of air filter it takes and did a search for one. i can only find one dealer on the entire web that carries one for just over 20 bucks. the cost doesn't concern me as much as the availability. i did not look at home depot for the air filter. it is a pretty small section. they do not carry any air filters for any of my husqvarna or briggs engines. any one work at a shop that can cross reference part 20B-32610-H7. that is the air filter for the ex40 subaru engine. thanks, MERRY CHRISTMAS eveyone

How often (in years) do you think you need to change the air filter on an emergency generator? If it was used in construction that would be a different story. I'd be more concerned with a mouse making a nest in it than it getting filled to the point where it needed to be changed.

No oil filter means a non pressurized lubrication system in most cases.

It's funny that you bring this up. I have an older Subaru generator with the simple can style air filter. I can't find one locally no matter where I look. The foam has rotted out and I need to replace it.

I can't imagine other parts being any easier... Yes, the Subaru has exceeded it's projected lifespan and still runs great.

Since I purchased mine for a very low price, I can't complain. However, I now only purchase Honda or Kawasaki powered equipment. If I screw up and leave gas in the carb, or worse, at least I can purchase a new "critical part" with ease.

i bought one of the robin-subaru OPE engines a few years back for a "project," and was *extremely* impressed with its design. That air filter is going to last a long time, probably longer than the bearings in the gen head. Cared for properly, that engine is very robust, on par with the honda commercial engines, and some believe a step beyond honda.

Not that you'll need it, but the subaru OPE engines even use a basic spark advance, there's a low rpm advance and a high rpm schedule. I think the changeover is around 1800 rpm. It's crude, but twice the timing capabilities as other engines out there.

Don't sweat the air filter.

Mine Loved 5-40 Rotella Syn.

M

Last edited:
thanks all. yea i worry too much sometimes but it seems if something bad can happen it probably will happen to me. the thing looks like a tank and if need be i could cut a chunk of foam in a few years. on my generac, i have had to replace the paper filter at least once but i think that was from some carb trouble. i too love honda engines. porter cable had a generator with a honda. i think it was around 15000 watt. shoulda jumped on that cause they don't make that anymore. shoulda coulda woulda.

ps found a robin subaru distributor about 40 mile away and they do all the warranty work and sell all parts for that engine including air filter for around 20 bucks. i think i found the one.

Give K&N a call. K&N filters are cleanable and reusable. K&N will cross it over fore you, and you can go to Pep-Boys with the K&N filter number and order it to save shipping cost. Expect to pay between 25 to 39 dollars for a K&N filter. Also be sure to get the cleaning and oiling kit for $10 (at least that was the price a little more than a year ago). Because small engine filters are much smaller than car filters, the clean and oil kit last long if a small engine is the only thing you will use it for.

I leave the original paper filter on for storage. You should let the K&N filter drain the special oil from it for at least 20 minutes after you oil it. So in an real long outage like an ice storm I would run on the paper filter while the K&N drained oil onto paper towels.

I do not know how long it would take a K&N filter to dry out the oil during storage. But using the paper filter for storage works well, and you can always put the K&N on it during an outage and save the paper for when the K&N is draining oil.

BTW, some people say that it is a big mistake to clean your K&N air filter too often, because they filter better when they have some build up on them.

However if you let any filter get too dirty the engine will run too rich and wash the oil from the cylinder walls and damage the engine.

Ohh, a K+N is a good idea. If they don't make it, I can probably adapt something close with a machined part or two.

Thanks for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back