Low-viscosity Dex-VI for Chevy Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am planning to do a transmission flush on my Colorado that's in my signature in a few thousand miles. My current fill is Maxlife ATF but I want to step it up to a low-viscosity full synthetic Dex-VI. My ultimate goal is improving gas mileage and overall protection.

As or right now I am basically looking at Mobil1, Redline, & Amsoil. I am an M1 fan but my hesitation with their ATF is that it's an "all-purpose" formula. Since I am looking for the lowest viscosity D6 fluid, I am not sure if this is the best choice. Would going with a Redline or Amsoil D6 be a better choice?

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback from those well-informed from a technical standpoint, not just someone that's used "fluid x" and likes it. I would like real factual data to back up the recommendation. I'm admittedly not educated enough on the tech perspective of fluids so that's why I am posting this.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm not going to give you A+ factual, sorry.

I've used M1 universal ATF before and it is a great fluid, but yes it as also a bit thicker than Dex VI. In a Dex III trans I saw minimal-to-no mpg improvement. In a Z1 vehicle (with LG Black modifier) I lost 1-2 mpg.

When I last looked, Valvoline Dex VI was on the thinner side, and it was the best fluid I found for my 93 jeep with the AW4. It did run thinner than what came out and slapped into gear with more authority, but not roughly-- had "finesse." Based on that experience, I would gladly use the Valvoline product again.

I suspect the Valvoline will be similar to amsoil in viscosity. In previous comparo's I've done, Amsoil tends to be a small bit thinner.

Personally, I run amsoil whenever I can for long-fill units, like driveline. both are good fluids.

Just your run of the mill D6 will be just fine in that application,i use Valvoline D6 witch is a very good fluid run it in all my GM's.

I've gone from Dex3, to Dex 6 and now to RL D4 and no mpg difference.

The best thing you can do for protection is add an external trans cooler and inline or spin on filter.

Used to have rear wheel drive vehicle and the biggest mpg difference was changing the gear oil to syn. Would look at RL or Amsoil for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

I don't know if this is right, but I've been looking at Kinematic Viscosity @ 100*F as well as 40*F. Comparing those values between Mobil1, Amsoil, & Redline fluids I think I'm going to go the following route with not only the trans, but the diffs and x-fer case:

Transmission: Amsoil Synthetic Fuel Efficient ATF

Front / Rear Diffs: Mobil1 75w90 Gear Lube

X-fer case: Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

These fluids have the lightest numbers when it comes to Kinematic Viscosity so I'm guessing those are the most efficient for helping with MPG's. Correct me if I'm wrong and/or give me some other suggestions that might be better.

Thanks again!

GM put a pretty tight spec on Dexron-VI. Any licensed Dexron-VI will meet that spec, as will many "recommended for Dexron-VI useage" fluids. In any case, you'll need a really sharp pencil and exactly repeatable driving to see a fuel consumption difference.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
Hey guys, I am planning to do a transmission flush on my Colorado that's in my signature in a few thousand miles. My current fill is Maxlife ATF but I want to step it up to a low-viscosity full synthetic Dex-VI. My ultimate goal is improving gas mileage and overall protection.

As or right now I am basically looking at Mobil1, Redline, & Amsoil. I am an M1 fan but my hesitation with their ATF is that it's an "all-purpose" formula. Since I am looking for the lowest viscosity D6 fluid, I am not sure if this is the best choice. Would going with a Redline or Amsoil D6 be a better choice?

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback from those well-informed from a technical standpoint, not just someone that's used "fluid x" and likes it. I would like real factual data to back up the recommendation. I'm admittedly not educated enough on the tech perspective of fluids so that's why I am posting this.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Your already running a Dexron Vi viscoity fluid, Maxlife has Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt of 6.11.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

I don't know if this is right, but I've been looking at Kinematic Viscosity @ 100*F as well as 40*F. Comparing those values between Mobil1, Amsoil, & Redline fluids I think I'm going to go the following route with not only the trans, but the diffs and x-fer case:

Transmission: Amsoil Synthetic Fuel Efficient ATF

Front / Rear Diffs: Mobil1 75w90 Gear Lube

X-fer case: Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

These fluids have the lightest numbers when it comes to Kinematic Viscosity so I'm guessing those are the most efficient for helping with MPG's. Correct me if I'm wrong and/or give me some other suggestions that might be better.

Thanks again!

I like your choices, hard to go wrong the top 2. agree with above poster that the diff between dex VI and amsoil may be very hard to detect. M1 is the diffs is a great combo.

My *only* concern is the t-case. GM uses some corporate blue fluid that has magic in it, that is not nearly as thick as a typical manual trans lube. If amsoil has a recommended fluid for the specific application, go for it. Is this a full-time (auto) system? those can be picky, and if driven in "auto" can be pretty hard on the fluid in my experience, at least in the full-size trucks. Double-check your specs there...

M

I am not positive that the Maxlife that's in the tranny right now is D6. Reason being is that I had it put in 2-3 years ago at a service shop. When did Maxlife become D6 certified?

meep - Thanks for the info on the xfer case. Since you say that, I don't think I will chance it. I will just go with the GM fluid. Where is the cheapest place to get it or do I just have to suck it up and pay dealership prices?

By the way, its push button 4WD; no auto.

Thanks again for the great info guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back