VOA Super Tech High Mileage 10w-40 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
not bad for $14.50/5qt but not excellent. SN oil

STHMVOA1.jpg

STHMVOA2.jpg

Whoa, thats the first WPP oil ive seen that has an ad pack like that (sodium instead of moly/boron)...... looks like valvoline conventional!

Every "cheap brand" has the same looking additive pack as Valvoline. Low calcium, sodium, lower levels of ZDDP.

The oil itself has a decent FP. I guess for the price it isn't bad.

This is the PDS from WPP from March for ST HM 10W40 SN oil.

It is different than the VOA here.The VOA here may noy be right,Blackstone has had wrong readings before and this one might be wrong too.

10W-40 HM
Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60̊F NA NA 0.8725
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.68
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100̊C, cSt 12.5 ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40̊C, cSt NA NA 109.70
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 150
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA 7000 6757
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.085
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 NA 0.072
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.214
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.008
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA NA 0.341
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
High Mileage 10W-40 API Performance SN

For less than a dollar more you can get Quaker State HM. I just bought QSHM last week. This is at Wally. Add pack is real issue and QS beats this Walmart stuff!!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Every "cheap brand" has the same looking additive pack as Valvoline. Low calcium, sodium, lower levels of ZDDP.

The oil itself has a decent FP. I guess for the price it isn't bad.

I laughed for a while after I read this.......and showed a couple friends.

/back to your regularly scheduled topic at hand.

This thread makes me not trust Blackstone after reading about their issues, the only detail they knew about the oil is that it was 10w-40
mad.gif

Id agree nothing wrong at all. Just a little different. and its pretty heavy. Nice flashpoint as well. Ive seen some good ST UOA's as well. If someone didnt want to put this stuff in their car at least they could save some $ and get a great oil for their Small engines. Has a good amount of Zinc in it as well for the non roller small engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Provi
This thread makes me not trust Blackstone after reading about their issues, the only detail they knew about the oil is that it was 10w-40
mad.gif

What is making you doubt Blackstone? Did you convert the values from the PDS into a "ppm" value?

Originally Posted By: cchase
mad.gif

What is making you doubt Blackstone? Did you convert the values from the PDS into a "ppm" value?

The PDS has a completely different ad pack listed.

Originally Posted By: volk06
mad.gif

Given that we know ST varies by region I wouldn't put much stock in a PDS.

Originally Posted By: volk06
mad.gif

Given that we know ST varies by region I wouldn't put much stock in a PDS.

That jug of ST is clearly a WPP oil. Even go look at a mag 1 pds, it's that same pds for the most part. I would believe the pds over blackstone in this case. Blackstone has messed up before. Go look at my havoline voa and then look at the pqia voa. They're off on alot of them.

I contacted WPP and they wrote back and said that their add pack supplier had not changed in the past year.

If this is right,the Blackstone results are wrong.

I wonder one thing, when I was at the wal mart this morning, the jug of ST 15W40 didnt say either WNE or WPP at all on the bottom of the jug.

adam

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I contacted WPP and they wrote back and said that their add pack supplier had not changed in the past year.

WPP never got back to me but Blackstone insist that they are wright and WPP is wrong
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

WPP never got back to me but Blackstone insist that they are wright and WPP is wrong
crazy.gif

*Right

An update on the STHM,this is the latest PDS from WPP on the 10W-40. It doesnt list moly like it did before.

The 10W-30 has the same additives listed as this does.

Visc @ 60F -105

Visc @ 100F -14.91

Visc Index -148

Pour Point C -39C (-38F)

Cold Cranking Simulator at (C),cP -3.86

Noack Volatility, % loss -13.5

Zinc,wt % -0.098

Phosphorus,wt % -0.077

Calcium, wt % -0.25

Sulfur, wt % -0.298

Boron, wt %0.018

Sulfated Ash, wt % -0.92

Nitrogen, wt % -0.102

Pumping Viscosity at (C),cP -35,002 (-30)

Shear Stability -11.56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back