Lexus Canada Oil Recommendation Chart..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had been using xW20 in E430, that car spec'ed M1 0W40 or syn oil with HTHS 3.5 or higher. I had been using xW30 in LS400 forever because I had a ton of conventional xW30 bought on sale over many years. I used 5W20 in it now because I ran out dino xW30, as of now I only have xW20 in my stash.

The way the E430 and LS400 engines perform with thinner oil, I'll stick with xW20 in all my cars.

Fascinating! You are a bold man.

On my GS400 I do a yearly OCI. It gets about 7000 miles a year. Unfortunately, most of the miles are made up of my all city 6.5 mile commute to work. The vehicle is never driven for more than 1/2 hour since everything is so close. Toyota doesnt seem to recommend their 0W-20 for this V8. I'm leaning towards either EP 5W-20 or Mobil AFE 0W-20. Would you guys run the AFE? What advantage and disadvantage would the EP have over the AFE?

While Lexus' have great engines, I wouldn't run to 1 year / 7000 miles with the pattern of driving you have.

I never took my GS350 beyond 7500 miles on full syn even though it got highway driving 90% of the time.

Lexus recommends 5000 miles OCI, and that is with dino. I know short city trips are harder on oil but I should be fine since I'm using synthetics.

Lexus recommends 5000 miles OCI, and that is with dino. I know short city trips are harder on oil but I should be fine since I'm using synthetics.

But you come under severe service which would be 3000 / 3 months (?) on dino. You are going 2.5 times that on mileage / 4 times that on time!

Ever heard of the Lexus & Toyota sludge issues? That was related to owners using the standard intervals when they fell under special operating conditions.

Last edited:
The 4.0 liter V8 isn't a sludger. I am aware that my short distance driving will tax the oil that I use which is why I have been using synthetics for my yearly OCI. Last years i drove 5200 miles and the year before about the same. This year my wife is using the Lexus more and the minivan less and so I am estimating between 6500-7000 miles. I am absolutely confident that Mobil EP 5W-20 can go the distance and very confident that Mobil 0W-20 would as well. Here is an OCI of 3 years with Mobil 0W-40:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2121384#Post2121384

Also, earlier this year Doug Hilary went 2 years with the same oil and posted it. Something that I do to help with my OCI is to put 5 quarts in even though both engines can hold around 5.2. Then at around 6 months, after it has gone down a little more but not yet on the low line, I will add about a quart to boost the TBN.

Originally Posted By: Daryll
Is the 4.0V8 that you refer to the same engine that's in my 2009 LS460?

I'm not sure how similar my 4.0 is to your 4.6. I know that my engine is similar to the V8 in the LS400 from the '90's except that mine has VVT-I.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had been using xW20 in E430, that car spec'ed M1 0W40 or syn oil with HTHS 3.5 or higher. I had been using xW30 in LS400 forever because I had a ton of conventional xW30 bought on sale over many years. I used 5W20 in it now because I ran out dino xW30, as of now I only have xW20 in my stash.

The way the E430 and LS400 engines perform with thinner oil, I'll stick with xW20 in all my cars.

Fascinating! You are a bold man.

On my GS400 I do a yearly OCI. It gets about 7000 miles a year. Unfortunately, most of the miles are made up of my all city 6.5 mile commute to work. The vehicle is never driven for more than 1/2 hour since everything is so close. Toyota doesnt seem to recommend their 0W-20 for this V8. I'm leaning towards either EP 5W-20 or Mobil AFE 0W-20. Would you guys run the AFE? What advantage and disadvantage would the EP have over the AFE?

Bold?? thats an understatement!
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket

Ever heard of the Lexus & Toyota sludge issues? That was related to owners using the standard intervals when they fell under special operating conditions.

I read somewhere that it was actually related to the design of the 3.0 1MZ-FE engine, which had too narrow oil passages (or was it too narrow coolant passages?), due to it's design to run very hot for emissions reasons.

There were plenty of reports of owner's changing oil at the proper intervals (and at the dealer) who ended up with sludge. The engine was redesigned for the 3.3 3MZ-FE and the sludge issues are gone (those caused by the design anyway, poor maintenance will still lead to sludge).

The 4.0 V8 he's talking about is not related to the 3.0 and does not suffer from sludging by poor design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

M1 0w40 is way too thick and robbing power/mileage!

Funny that you should mention that because I have seen a slight decrease in MPG and the engine doesn't feel as peppy. I'm leaning towards a 5W-20 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back