PO420/430 & MMO, TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate carrying the TCW3 in my car. It is sticky and can make a big mess. I have lots of stains in the trunk to prove that :-( I had it leak from closed bottles. I have stopped carrying it anymore.

I always add afterwards when I reach home. After adding it to the tank, I just slosh it a little by shaking the car. Couple ounces of anything will mix with 18 gallons of gasoline very quickly!

I have also sometimes stop adding TC-W3 for few tanks and then start again just to convince myself that it is working.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Thanks Vikas

I have been dividing miles traveled by the previous mpgs to determine TCW3 volume. Then filling with fuel.

Messy it is, benefits it does have.

Thanks Again, Jim

Originally Posted By: AMC
No codes with tcw3 here either and I have been using it for over a year. I use the standard 1 oz tcw3 per 5 gallons of gas. BTW I just got my state emissions test done and my smog rating has gone down quite a bit since my last test when I was not using tcw3. I know there are alot of differentt factors in emissions tests but I just thought I would share. To me anyways, all indications point upward for the benefits of adding tcw3 to your fuel, so long as it is propertly dosed.

Connecticut also gets the 50 state, CARB emissions spec GMs as well, correct?

I've got some 'conventional' TC-W3 Pennzoil that was clearanced at a Target last year when API-SN was coming out. Is that still okay to use? I think I may have over-dosed. I'm willing to try it again.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Connecticut also gets the 50 state, CARB emissions spec GMs as well, correct?

No I dont think it is the CARB spec. Last I knew of the CT emissions, it was a completely proprietary test just for CT.
Anyways, what I do to dose both my vehicles is just add the tcw3 before every fill up and only fill up once I know my vehicles need 10 gallons of gas. In my car it is just short of the red "empty" bar on the fuel gauge and on the truck, it is just short of half empty. I use an old lucas fuel additive bottle that I pour 2 ounces of tcw3 into and only carry it with me on the day I am going to fill up. I have never had any spills, over doses or severe under doses.
If you do over dose, just drive normally untill you can top off the tank and keep diluting the tcw3 with more fuel untill you feel comfortable again. If you under dose, dont worry about it, just give the proper dose when it comes time to fill up next time. Remember the KISS method, Keep It Simple Stupid!

Last edited:
Woops and for clairification, I add the tcw3 at the gas station just before I enter all the payment information. So while I am swiping my debit card and entering the info, the tcw3 is pouring into the tank from the lucas bottle. Once I am ready to pump, I remove the lucas bottle, wipe it off with a paper towel, put the cap back on it and put it back in the car. After that, I pump the gas as normal and continue on. It only adds a few extra seconds to my time at the gas station and it works for me!

The problems arise when people ask, "hey what is that you're puttin into that nice new truck'? I say, "ah just a few ounces of TCW3" Then they say "What?!! isn't that for boats or something"? My response lately has been "ugh, its a long story" LOL

Yes conventional tcw3 should be fine, I would advise you to shake the bottle if it has been sitting a while though, just for good measure.

I had filled bottles of Regane and Lucas with TC-W3 and carried it in the trunk of my van while going to VA. After couple of days of van being parked in the hot sun, TC-W3 manged to leak from the cap. I had kept the bottles in a plastic grocery bag but it was still a mess.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Thanks Vikas...

But, I have a question for TCW3 users.

How do you arrive at an accurate amount to use? Provided you add it before the fuel, not knowing what the gallons used to fill your tank will be?

Jim

I have a Scangauge II in my car that will tell me how many gallons of fuel I have consumed.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

But, I have a question for TCW3 users.

How do you arrive at an accurate amount to use? Provided you add it before the fuel, not knowing what the gallons used to fill your tank will be?

Jim

I know from 3/4 of a tank how much gas I need to within 1/2 a gallon. So for the sake of argument lets say its 15 gallons to fill from 3/4 of a tank of gas. I carry 3 ounces of TCW3 or 6 ounces of MMO to the gas station to add to the fuel before filling. If I'm off by a half gallon I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back