Amsoil 75w90 or 75w110 Severe Gear diff fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 02 Camaro z28 which asks for 75w90 syn gear oil for the Torsen differential. Should I use amsoil 75w90 long life gear fluid or severe gear fluid? Also, 75w90 or 75w110 for best protection and least noise?

Thank you!

Does it make any recommendations as to friction modifier? I know Severe Gear comes with friction modifier in it. I dont think a Torsen would like that a whole lot. IIRC, the long life stuff does not, though its been awhile since I have looked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Does it make any recommendations as to friction modifier? I know Severe Gear comes with friction modifier in it. I dont think a Torsen would like that a whole lot. IIRC, the long life stuff does not, though its been awhile since I have looked.

Are you positive about a friction modifier? That was not my understanding.

Originally Posted By: caideN
I have an 02 Camaro z28 which asks for 75w90 syn gear oil for the Torsen differential. Should I use amsoil 75w90 long life gear fluid or severe gear fluid? Also, 75w90 or 75w110 for best protection and least noise?

Thank you!

Amsoil SVT Severe Gear 75W-110

Amsoil 75W-110 Product Code SVT Link:

Amsoil 75W-110 SVT

The (small amount of) FM's in SVT won't cause any problems with your Torsen.

The Torsen diff doesn't seem to mind one way or the other. As Pablo says, go with a SAE 110 GL5 and you will be in good shape.

Thank you. I guess I'll be going with severe gear and not long life. Thanks

As for 90 vs 110, I can only find a merchant selling it locally the 90 and not 110. Now I'm debating if 110 is that much better and if I should buy online.

You cannot go wrong with ANY of the Severe Gear oils, but I agree with Pablo that the SVT would be the BEST for your application (is everything quiet in the axle now- i.e.; ring and pinion, pinion bearing, carrier bearing, wheel bearings, and the T2 itself??), especially in Cali!

BTW; the dealers were telling people to add the GM/AC Delco friction modifier to their axles if they were getting any of that 'coast-down' (off throttle, in gear) rattle noise ('rocks in a box') from their T2 diffs, so the little bit of FM in the SG oil will NOT hurt the Torsen.
wink.gif

I think the issue with FMs in a gear type LSD is with the Eaton Truetrac, not the Torsen. A big dose of FMs or a particularly slippery synthetic will sometimes cause a Truetrac to make funny noises.

Good synthetic gear oils have little or no FMs because the base stocks have good friction characteristics on their own.

FMs tend decrease the oxidative stability of an oil, so it's best to use as little as possible.

"I think the issue with FMs in a gear type LSD is with the Eaton Truetrac, not the Torsen."

I thought Torsen diffs were oblivious to FMs? The FMs only some into play with diffs that have clutches?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back