Hi-Point owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I ordered two Hi-Point pistols. I got the .45 model for $146 and their 9mm for $149 with the hard case. I ordered them through impactguns.com because they are the only store I have EVER seen carry all the Hi-Point magazines in every caliber and at decent prices. So I got an extra 2 each. They had my FFL on file which made it very easy so I will do business with them again. If anyone likes budsgunshop.com which has better prices but its ultra hard to work with. They had these pistols for a lot less and free shipping but they dont have the mags and you cant enter an FFL it has to be one on file. My FFL faxed them their info and a week later it didnt update on their list. For a HUGE online gun retailer they are slow as [censored].

If anyone has a Hi-Point please speak up Id love to hear about it. Im not a disbeliever, I think these are fine pistols and I love the blowback design. I own a CZ-82 and Makarov and I love the simplicity of taking them apart.

I think they are garbage personally. A blockback is designed for a lower pressure round like the 9mm Mak, 380ACP, 32ACP,ect is fine. For higher pressure designs like a 9mm they are not. Astra, a Spanish gunmaker and Walther both tried to do that and abandoned it for a locked breech design. Walther's guns beat themselves to death and the Astra guns had to have such a heavy spring that operators found it a real pain to rack the slide. And when the spring wore out the guns beat themselves to death.

When I had to shoot to get my CCW permit there was a guy there trying to qualify with a high point. To qualify you had to hit 70% at distances from 5 to 25 yards. It takes 50 rounds each attempt. He failed two times with the Hi Point. It was ok at 5, barely acceptable at 15, and horridly inaccurate at 25 yards. It was a brand new gun. I borrowed him my Taurus PT92AF and he shot an 85% on his third try. At 25 yards you had a better chance of hitting the torso sized target by throwing Hi Point at it than shooting it.

That is just my opinion and your experience may differ.

Last edited:
A shooting buddy of mine bought a .45 Hi Point just for S&G and it jammed nearly every single round. He had us try it, and while it didn't jam for us, the slide was cycling so slowly that you could watch it move. It was very sensitive to limp-wristing.

I hav never shot one, but they don't look to be of great quality. Personaly I would not depend my life on a $200 pistol.

You spent 300 and for 50-75 more dollars you could have found a used GLOCK, or baught a new S&W sw9ve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wsar10
I hav never shot one, but they don't look to be of great quality. Personaly I would not depend my life on a $200 pistol.

You spent 300 and for 50-75 more dollars you could have found a used GLOCK, or baught a new S&W sw9ve.

For the money you could have also gotten ahold of mil surp gun I bet. Id rather have a beat to hades CZ82 or PA63 than a Hi Point.

And the S&W Sigma series although dependable has the worse trigger in the world for a striker fired auto. And the mags have very brittle baseplates that I have seen bust and shoot rounds everywhere when accidentally dropped.

Last edited:
I had my sw9ve down to a very nice pull roughly 4.5lbs, with some work. The [censored] thing is that you have to work the OE parts and remove a spring rather than being able to purchase drop in parts like a GLOCK.
never had a baseplate problem and I always let the mag fall to the ground during a fast reload. my complaint was the rail size

Originally Posted By: wsar10
I had my sw9ve down to a very nice pull roughly 4.5lbs, with some work. The [censored] thing is that you have to work the OE parts and remove a spring rather than being able to purchase drop in parts like a GLOCK.
never had a baseplate problem and I always let the mag fall to the ground during a fast reload. my complaint was the rail size

A lot of places sell parts to reduce the trigger pull such as Wolff Springs. However they say to only use the gun for target shooting and they cannot guarantee reliability in a defensive situation. The M&P has a much much better trigger.

So for about $350 plus shipping and FFL fees, you bought two unreliable garbage guns. I'm glad it's your money and not mine.

I believe that you prefer quantity over quality for some reason.

For around $350, you can find a used Glock 17, Beretta 92, new Smith & Wesson Sigma or SD9.

All in all, a bad purchase decision.

^
Well when I own more than 10 pistols having a few that I dont have to worry about cleaning often is a blessing when I go shooting. I already have nice carry pistols that were in the price range of these hi points together. Im not interested in a Glock, Beretta or S&W because just like motor oil name brands dont mean they are better products. Why pay for 1 Glock or XD when for that money I bought both my Kel-Tec's and LCP. And those pistols are fantastic reliable runners. I hope your speaking from personal experience of hi point and not just out of your [censored] like anyone who doesnt own a hi point pistol but yet calls them junk.

becuase you will replace that Kel-Tec two times over the life span of one GLOCK, I own several handguns as well and the GLOCK is by far the most reliable at it's price point and even above.

I understand having a few cheapy's in the safe, I have a few for fun but to compare a GLOCK to a K-T or even a Ruger is foolish IMO.

I've never shot i hi-point but taught my buddy how to take his apart and you can just tell by the quality of the parts and there design.

I have several friends that have highpoint firearms.
The secret is to find magazines that work. Once that happens they seem to be happy. I have friends that have fired 100's of rounds in one sitting and never got a hiccup from his .45

Please note that the trigger pull is terrible. However, when you get one that works, it works well.

Their little carbine is very reliable also. Several write ups online about it.

Do your research before you go about disassembling them. I know that with the carbine you clean it with a spray and bore snake it, as taking it apart is almost impossible for a normal human being to put it back together again.

Better than a sharp stick, and make a decent truck or trailer gun too.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I have several friends that have highpoint firearms.
The secret is to find magazines that work. Once that happens they seem to be happy. I have friends that have fired 100's of rounds in one sitting and never got a hiccup from his .45

Please note that the trigger pull is terrible. However, when you get one that works, it works well.

Their little carbine is very reliable also. Several write ups online about it.

Do your research before you go about disassembling them. I know that with the carbine you clean it with a spray and bore snake it, as taking it apart is almost impossible for a normal human being to put it back together again.

Better than a sharp stick, and make a decent truck or trailer gun too.
This is what typical hi point owners say about them. Not that they are complete junk and should have spent more for a range gun.

I have four Hi Points; three handguns and a carbine, and haven't found them to be unreliable at all. My .40 is a tack driver. Everybody that has shot it shoots it very accurately from the first shot.

I often keep that JHP .40 in my desk at my office, with a couple of mags loaded up with plain vanilla hollow points.

I keep meaning to get that new .45 carbine, but just haven't gotten around to it.

The way people get worked up over Hi Points on some of the gun forums is downright comical.

Originally Posted By: Win
I have four Hi Points; three handguns and a carbine, and haven't found them to be unreliable at all. My .40 is a tack driver. Everybody that has shot it shoots it very accurately from the first shot.

I often keep that JHP .40 in my desk at my office, with a couple of mags loaded up with plain vanilla hollow points.

I keep meaning to get that new .45 carbine, but just haven't gotten around to it.

The way people get worked up over Hi Points on some of the gun forums is downright comical.
Is that .40 at your office at work? If so do they know about it...? I wish I could have that at my office.

The point about the GLock is true. I know one high volume shooter that has almost a 6 figure rounds count. He has burned out barrels and the thing just keeps going if you replace the parts.

You should look at CDNN. They have inexpensive trade in guns. I would take a used Com Bloc gun over a Hi Point anyday. Atleast it had to pass service trials.

I bought a Ruger P85 for 199 bucks one day that was near new. Now that is a gun that is tough, rugged, inexpensive, with mags that are easily available.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Is that .40 at your office at work? If so do they know about it...?

One of the many advantages of self employment. My place, my rules.

Well when I own more than 10 pistols having a few that I dont have to worry about cleaning often is a blessing when I go shooting

Glocks can go thousands of rounds reliably without cleaning. Of course, if it is your go to self defense firearm, you will want to keep it clean and lubed.

Im not interested in a Glock, Beretta or S&W because just like motor oil name brands dont mean they are better products.

Gun brands have nothing to do with oil brands. In my experience, your average Glock, Beretta, or Smith&Wesson is way more reliable than your average Kel-Tec or High Point.

Why pay for 1 Glock or XD when for that money I bought both my Kel-Tec's and LCP.

More does not equal better.

If you were issued a firearm as part of your job duties (security, police, military, etc.) and could pick any firearm you wanted to carry regardless of cost, would you still pick a high point? I already know what your answer is and it proves my point exactly.

The high point is a budget gun for people who can't afford anything better. It puts a somewhat reliable handgun into their hands that they otherwise could not afford. Poor people have the same right to self defense that non-poor people have. You on the other hand seem to be able to afford a higher quality gun based on your statement that you own over 10 handguns. If I was in your shoes, I would definately consider adding a Glock, Sig, Berettta, Smith&Wesson, CZ, Springfield XD, Walther, HK, etc to your collection.

Through CDNN I bought a PA63 Hungarian "makarov" (really a Walther PP clone) like new for 129 bucks, my Steyr M9 for 250 new, and a S&W 5903 for 250. All those guns are better than a Hi Point since they all had to pass police or army trials for durability, reliability, and accuracy.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If you were issued a firearm as part of your job duties (security, police, military, etc.) and could pick any firearm you wanted to carry regardless of cost, would you still pick a high point? I already know what your answer is and it proves my point exactly.

Strawman argument, that doesn't prove anything. He's not talking about engaging in "security, police, military, etc.", unless I misunderstood him.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Strawman argument, that doesn't prove anything. He's not talking about engaging in "security, police, military, etc.", unless I misunderstood him.
Goodness no! Just a fun range gun I dont have to clean often. I have real firearms for that. I do have a nice Sig P250 .45 that Id carry any day over the hi point but I really want to clean that Sig the second I shoot it. Love that pistol. I have nice guns, I just like having cheapies that I dont get OCD about when I get back from the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back