E-10 and Gasoline Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exxon/Mobil is not a "Top-Tier" gasoline. Ethanol is only good for the farmer, not very good for your vehicle. E-15 will make it worse. The automobile mfrs told the EPA not to approve it for vehicles, but they did it anyway. I used to get 27 mpg in my Nissan, now I get 22 mpg using that mess.

I filled up, in South Texas, with some real unleaded gasoline with no ethanol mess, and my mileage went back up to 27 mpg.

My 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I think the most economical thing you can do is try to run a Top-Tier gasoline(Shell,Exxon,Chevron,etc) constantly in your car or truck for keeping the fuel injection and system clean. The only top tier station around for me is an Exxon and I usually run their 87 because my truck runs good on it. About once every 2-3 months I travel about 30 miles to a town to do some shopping and go to a truck stop. They sell Shell gas and I tank up on V-Power 93 octane and run that down to about a quarter tank left before I fill up again on Exxon 87.

This is the same exact stance I take. Name brand fuels are the way to go, and no need the bump the octane up if your compression and timing don't cause it to knock. I drive a 1968 c10 short wide with a 350(installed in 1974) and a quadrajet(gen 2) carb. The engine and carb were rebuilt in 1984 by my father, and it has almost been driven every day by one of us. My dad gave me the truck in 97, and I'm currently driving it every day. That's 25 yrs on hone only rebuild with new bearings. Just replaced the head gaskets, and the valve guide seals about 6 months ago, and rebuilt I the carb with a kit. True miles are unknown, due to the speedo being out of service for about ten yrs, bu a realistic number would be over 250k with only one fuel system failure. Was a fuel line that turned to gum after about 7 yrs of e10. 4$ 10min fix. I have never used warehouse gas, or additives. Dino all the way at 3k, and cheapy filters. Based on my test truck allot of these products, and practices are hard to swallow. But I guess back in the 60s engines were all built like ak47s. Our 97 jeep gc 4x4 gets the same fuel rules, but all the other fluids and filters I go nuts over.

If you like you can find a tool that will tell you how much e is in your fuel. Go to an Echo dealer and order the beaker for testing ethanol % in fuel. You fill to the first line with your fuel, and the second line with water, and shake it up. The e will bond with the water and the separation line will have moved. Turn the beaker around, and there is a gauge that will tell you what e% your fuel sample is. Use it to pick your fuel station if ethanol is something that bugs you. Some fuels I've tested are close to 20%, and others less than 10%. Coolest thing is that the beaker is less than 10bucks.

I stand corrected regarding Exxon Mobil Gasoline being "Top Tier." The last time I looked up "Top-Tier" Gasoline, Exxon Mobil was not listed.

Originally Posted By: cbear
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Just wait, E15 is coming...

Hooray, even lower gas mileage!

My 2004 Nissan Sentra averages 30 MPG on non ethanol gas. How much less do you think I'd get with Ethanol? I usually run non ethanol but was able to get ethanol for 30 cents a gallon less, so I decided to try a tankful.

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20
Originally Posted By: cbear
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Just wait, E15 is coming...

Hooray, even lower gas mileage!

My 2004 Nissan Sentra averages 30 MPG on non ethanol gas. How much less do you think I'd get with Ethanol? I usually run non ethanol but was able to get ethanol for 30 cents a gallon less, so I decided to try a tankful.

I think every car, driver and service station would have different effects on the results. The poster a few above said he tested some with 10% differences that is alot of margin. At least tell us what you find when your done the tank.

I would run e85 in my camaro if we had it up here. I would change to a different heat range of spark plugs and would also have to change my ignition timing but i would try it. We do have a bit of ethonal in our gas right now but i cant tell a difference in performance or fuel mileage, and both vehicles go to all sorts of different stations. I am going to get that tester thing thanks for that bit of info.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back