how to preserve tires long term unmounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just say the wine made me do it, lol! I got two sets of tires at a killer price, but don't need to change for a long while. I was going to bag them individually in a black plastic bag and stack them horizontally in the storage shed. Anything better for long preservation?

Make sure you store them in a cool, dark, dry place - away from radiant heat sources - like furnaces and water heaters. If you can, fill the bags with nitrogen.

And you have to tell us what you mean by "Long Term". Plan on the tires coming off before 10 years - and in your case, that might be as little as 8 years.

Rubber degrades and are unsafe after 7 years no matter what, so look at the born on date located on the tire. It will say something like the year # and the week of that year they were made 1 thru 52.

airtight in garbage bags out of sunlight in cool place

will help them out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Rubber degrades and are unsafe after 7 years no matter what, so look at the born on date located on the tire. It will say something like the year # and the week of that year they were made 1 thru 52.

Buying and storing tires doesn't make sense but from the safety point of view as you mention, and financially because there are always sales on tires and you can put that money to a good use instead of it sitting in a garage degrading.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Buying and storing tires doesn't make sense but from the safety point of view as you mention, and financially because there are always sales on tires and you can put that money to a good use instead of it sitting in a garage degrading.

Sometimes its not store sales that gets the super deal. I've got 4 tires stored in my basement now that I paid $15 bucks apiece for $60 total. Yes they were used, total milage on the tires? Four blocks, car was T-Boned by a semi, on the way home from Discount Tire.

If possible I would vacuum bag them. The less oxygen, heat and sunlight the better. Just use a large heavy duty black plastic bag and suck as much air out of the bag as possible.then tie a tight knot.

This is the only accurate post. I can tell you horror stories about expensive new high quality "V" rated tires stored for many years in what others call optimum conditions. It doesn't matter, time is the only key factor.

Last edited:
thanks for all the responses! the way i drive and the power the car runs through the steering wheels, it'll be a wonder if i get 25K out of the oem's, so it'll be about 1 year and three years on the storage. i understand dark to mean NO UV, but the storage bldg has that transluscent fiberglass skylight - think that and a bag will cut the uv enough or should I find a closet lol?

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Make sure you store them in a cool, dark, dry place - away from radiant heat sources - like furnaces and water heaters. If you can, fill the bags with nitrogen.

And you have to tell us what you mean by "Long Term". Plan on the tires coming off before 10 years - and in your case, that might be as little as 8 years.

"Air" is already 78% Nitrogen. The other 22 % makes that big a difference?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

"Air" is already 78% Nitrogen. The other 22 % makes that big a difference?

Actually it does!

Try breathing 100% nitrogen.
frown.gif

Steel won't rust in 100% nitrogen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back